Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About 6volt Batteries

Hello, Say I Have Question Regarding 6volt Battery Wiring,

I've Been Reading & Seems Like 6volt Golf Cart Batteries Are The Happy Medium Vs. The Wal-Mart Deep cycle Marine Batteries I Have,

Now I'm Looking To Increase My Amp Hour's & Voltage to Have More Amp Hour's

My Thing Is How Do I Wire (2) 6volt Batteries To Get 12volt System & Increase Amp Hours..

Reason Being I'm Needing Round 500AH

The 2 Batteries That's Within My Budget Are Duracell® Golf Car Battery - Group Size 230

Is It Possible? If So Can Someone Explain It.. Thank You

Originally posted by Bigtank216 View Post
    Hello, Say I Have Question Regarding 6volt Battery Wiring,

I've Been Reading & Seems Like 6volt Golf Cart Batteries Are The Happy Medium Vs. The Wal-Mart Deep cycle Marine Batteries I Have,

Now I'm Looking To Increase My Amp Hour's & Voltage to Have More Amp Hour's

My Thing Is How Do I Wire (2) 6volt Batteries To Get 12volt System & Increase Amp Hours..

Reason Being I'm Needing Round 500AH

The 2 Batteries That's Within My Budget Are Duracell® Golf Car Battery - Group Size 230

Is It Possible? If So Can Someone Explain It.. Thank You
    To raise a pair of 6V batteries to 12V, you connect the - terminal of one, to the + terminal of the other. Then the 2 remaining terminals will have 12V across them.

But you should get a good grasp on the basic electrical concepts, and the principal of where to put the fuse, why the wrench handles should be taped up with no metal showing.

With a need for 500ah at 12V, you really need to consider going to a higher voltage system, such as 4, 6v batteries in series for 24V.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      To raise a pair of 6V batteries to 12V, you connect the - terminal of one, to the + terminal of the other. Then the 2 remaining terminals will have 12V across them.

But you should get a good grasp on the basic electrical concepts, and the principal of where to put the fuse, why the wrench handles should be taped up with no metal showing.

With a need for 500ah at 12V, you really need to consider going to a higher voltage system, such as 4, 6v batteries in series for 24V.

So Your Saying to get to get the 500ah I need >> I need to wire (4) Batteries Together in series to get 24volt setup vs 12 volt? am I correct?

Comment

So Your Saying to get to get the 500ah I need >> I need to wire (4) Batteries Together in series to get 24volt setup vs 12 volt? am I correct?
        No. When you put batteries in series, the voltage adds up. When you put them in parallel, the voltage stays the same and the amphours adds up.

Thus four 6 volt 230 ah batteries in series is 24 volts at 230 ah. If you put two of those batteries in series it is 12 volts at 230 ah.

If you put two batteries in series to make a 12 volt battery, and then another two batteries in series you have two 12 volt batteries at 230 ah each. If you put the two 12 volt batteries in parallel you have a 12 volt battery bank at 460 ah.

The energy stored in a battery is volts X ah. thus four batteries configured in series is 24 volts X 230 ah = 5520 watthours.

If you put the same four batteries in series/parallel you have 12 volts X 460 ah = 5530 watthours.

The 24 volt system is a better and more stable system because parallel batteries are not stable and will have a shorter life than series batteries.

--mapmaker
        ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

Originally posted by mapmaker View Post
          No. When you put batteries in series, the voltage adds up. When you put them in parallel, the voltage stays the same and the amphours adds up.

Thus four 6 volt 230 ah batteries in series is 24 volts at 230 ah. If you put two of those batteries in series it is 12 volts at 230 ah.

If you put two batteries in series to make a 12 volt battery, and then another two batteries in series you have two 12 volt batteries at 230 ah each. If you put the two 12 volt batteries in parallel you have a 12 volt battery bank at 460 ah.

The energy stored in a battery is volts X ah. thus four batteries configured in series is 24 volts X 230 ah = 5520 watthours.

If you put the same four batteries in series/parallel you have 12 volts X 460 ah = 5530 watthours.

The 24 volt system is a better and more stable system because parallel batteries are not stable and will have a shorter life than series batteries.

--mapmaker
          So series/parallel be better choice because its more stable?
          I think I get it now somewhat....

when it comes to serious math its jibber jabber to me.... I think I'm a visual person lol
          So Please Bear With Me I'm Trying My Best

Comment

So series/parallel be better choice because its more stable?
            I think I get it now somewhat....
            No! All batteries in series is always a better design. The series/parallel configuration means that two 6 volt batteries are in series to make a 12 volt battery (which is OK), but then you take two of those 12 volt compound batteries and put them in parallel (not OK) to make a 12 volt battery with a higher ah rating.

--mapmaker
            ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

If you need 500 AH, you buy 500 AH batteries. At 500 AH you are looking at either 4 or 6 volt batteries. But to be very honest 12 volt 500 AH is really a BAD IDEA. At this capacity you should be looking at 24 or 48 volt battery.

12 volt @ 500 AH = 24 volt @ 250 AH = 48 volts @ 125 AH = 6000 watt hours.

You need to completely understand this because you are asking for big trouble out of your ignorance.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                If you need 500 AH, you buy 500 AH batteries. At 500 AH you are looking at either 4 or 6 volt batteries. But to be very honest 12 volt 500 AH is really a BAD IDEA. At this capacity you should be looking at 24 or 48 volt battery.

12 volt @ 500 AH = 24 volt @ 250 AH = 48 volts @ 125 AH = 6000 watt hours.

You need to completely understand this because you are asking for big trouble out of your ignorance.
                Well Sunking That Sounded A Little Harsh...However I Get What Ur Saying.. Well I Stayed Up Looking Searching & Thinking Well I Came Up With
                This.. I Don't Know How Accurate These Site Calculators Are But I Found This @ Trojan I Input My Needs And It Did Math So Can You Take look And Tell Me If That's Right? I Got Little Discouraged Last Nite And Decided To Buy Trojan Batteries
                TrojanBatteryCapacityCalculator.pdf

Comment

Well Sunking That Sounded A Little Harsh...
                  Not harsh trying to get your attention to wake up.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

I do not have any problem with the Calculators. But Calculators are just that and do not come with common sense. I can input any numbers I want like say 5 Kwh per day, no greater than 50% DOD, 12 volt, and 3 day autonomy and every calculator is going to tell me I need 12 volt 2500 AH battery. It will not say hey Moron you need to operate at a much higher voltage than 12 volts like 48 volts @ 625 AH

To do the above would be very expensive and very prone to fire. To generate 5 Kwh/day of usable power is going to require 2000 to 4000 watt solar panel. If you were ignorant enough to go with 12 volts is going to require 2 to 4 very expensive 80 amp MPPT charge controllers and a lot of copper cable the size of your wrist that would be impossible for you to terminate and maintain which means a nice big electrical fire. Do the same thing at 48 volts and you only need a single 40 to 80 amp controller and much smaller wire which is 1/10 the cost, easier to terminate and maintain making the system efficient and safe.

When you tell me you want a 12 volt 500 AH battery tells me you want to draw around 1500 to 2000 watt hours per day or about 1/5 to 1/3 the battery capacity. To do that requires a panel wattage from 750 to 1500 watts depending on location. If you live in a location with excellent sun hours of around 3 Sun Hours in winter you can get away with a 12 volt system but will be completely maxed out no room to grow. The limitation is the charge controllers. Largest you can buy is 80 amp MPPT controller and the input limit is:

1000 watts @ 12 volt
                    2000 watts @ 24 volt
                    3000 watts @ 36 volt
                    4000 watts @ 48 volt
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                    X