Parrallel Batteries On Separate Charge Controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you.
    The idea was to have one battery bank with multiple charge controllers and one inverter, because it has been difficult to convince the consumers of the wisdom in spending the extra money to get a charge controller large enough for their entire system and batteries large enough that they don't need multiple parallel strings. Splitting the battery bank up and running several inverters would mean having to unplug appliances from a low battery and move them to a charged one. I came for advice about whether the typical problems associated with parallel batteries might be mitigated by the fact that each series string in the battery bank would have to be on its own charge controller.

I have since suceeded in convincing them to pay for better equipment, just for the sake of simplicity.
    But my curiosity is still piqued about the feasibility of a battery bank in which each parallel series is on a separate charge controller.

Comment

Originally posted by HRRutz View Post
      But my curiosity is still piqued about the feasibility of a battery bank in which each parallel series is on a separate charge controller.
      Can you draw a photo ? You can attach several charge controllers to 1 battery bank. You have to if you have a large bank and have to feed it more than 60A for charging. (I was pushing over 50amps this am from 2 smaller controllers)

Generally, the practice is to have a single series string of batteries of some voltage (2, 4, 6at the required amps

The inverter would connect onto the battery terminals (as it's the most demanding and needs the lowest impedance connection).
      Then the charge controller could connect to the other side of the terminal, if it's accessible, or else on top of the inverter lug. Any other goodies would stack on the controllers lug.

Fuses (or breakers) are required at each wire, to protect the wire. The protection device is sized to prevent an overloaded wire from melting or starting a fire. It must also be rated for the DC voltage, and possible amps the batteries could supply (a small fuse can turn into an arc lamp when it blows and a battery has 30,000 amps available)
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

20140619_085254.jpgI did a quick sketch of a simplified version of the proposed system. It needed to be 12V and charge from 4 30A arrays with 1 inverter powering the house. I thought I might be able to get away with adding more batteries and arrays over time, as their budget allowed, by using this method.

Comment

Unless you have two total separated system, once you connect the battery wires to any equipment have common connections you are combine the entire system. You can have any amount charge controllers once all connect to a common connection (the inverter) the are connected together.

I have 2 strings of batteries because I don't know any better when I ordered my system. I have to use two controllers because one is not enough, hence I use two different disconnect to manipulate the charges. I use one inverter. most of the time the two bank of batteries work together, when I check each bank's usage, one always draw more than the other. So I am assume that bank will be going first.

We are just try to make you understand so you don't make the mistakes we made.

Comment

Originally posted by HRRutz View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]4386[/ATTACH]I did a quick sketch of a simplified version of the proposed system. It needed to be 12V and charge from 4 30A arrays with 1 inverter powering the house. I thought I might be able to get away with adding more batteries and arrays over time, as their budget allowed, by using this method.
            Your drawing looks good. Not a reason it shouldn't work satisfactorily, having had and having many sets of FLA batteries in both configurations, it becomes a toss up on what one preforms the best, both have drawbacks. Without good maintenance and proper cabling both will preform poorly. There is no way unless some has logged the data on a side by side data on identical systems subjected to the same loads can prove any different. Any talking point can be supported by google data. Follow the money, is a set of $900 batteries that last 4 years a better investment that a $2,500 set that lasts 7 years.

Willly T

Comment

Working...
            X