X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wondering about inverter EMFs

In the planning stages for a photovoltaic system for our home, my partner is concerned about EMF radiation from the inverter. Anyone have any information about this, how to reduce EMF exposure from inverters, differences in amounts of EMF from different types of inverters, etc.?
    thanks
    garth

Unless you are not using it for a pillow in bed at night sleeping with it turned on and delivering load, I wouldn't waste anymore thought or time on it. Your cell phone and CFL lights will will kill you long before your inverter will.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by gdread View Post
      In the planning stages for a photovoltaic system for our home, my partner is concerned about EMF radiation from the inverter. Anyone have any information about this, how to reduce EMF exposure from inverters, differences in amounts of EMF from different types of inverters, etc.?
      thanks
      garth
      Most of the Xantrex large inverters & GT systems, are FCC class B rated, to have controlled emissions. Many others are not. As to the 60hz field, that is mostly contained in the transformer in the inverter, and only what's in the normal house cables is radiating, dependent on the current flow - low current=low radiation. The blow dryer (1200 watts held next to your head) is a killer, why do you think they all look like a gun?
      Seriously, it's no different then the rest of the wires in your house, and usually the inverter is on a wall not near a living area. It generates the most power in daytime, when most sheeple are at work. Regardless, it's a non issue.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by gdread View Post
        thanks
        garth
        I am an electrical engineer, and have been following this EMF stuff for years. Believe me, if there was anything to it, I'd be a rich man, because they'd hire me to tear out all the wiring in the US and reinstall it with shielded wires. There are no credible, replicated studies showing any health effects from EMF in the ranges you are exposed to every day. There were a few small-scale studies that showed some cancer clusters associated with some substations a long time ago. Replication of these studies proved it was just a statistical fluke, and then it was studied again and again and again. You can zap a mouse with hundreds of times these field strengths, and he'll be fine. But there is still a section of the public that believes there is a link. It's more of a religion than anything else, and no amount of arguing can convince them otherwise. So, folks, if you really think EMF is killing you, will you hire me to rewire your commercial buildings? I'll laugh all the way to the bank, I promise.
        Lawrence Lile, PE

Comment

Emf

But if you are still concerned about EMF, run all your wires in metal conduit. Problem solved. Plus, it is a safe way to install electricity.
          Lawrence Lile, PE

Comment

There are several devices are available for reducing emf radiation from inverter in market. Use any of these devices for emf protection

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              Unless you are using it for a pillow in bed at night sleeping with it turned on and delivering load
              I should probably stop doing this then, just to play it safe.

Comment

The real joke about it is that if one is that concerned / fooled by the makers of "emf" meters, they certainly shouldn't be using a computer to research, purchase, blog, or comment about the issue in front of a computer that generates such fields in the first place!

Comment

I think the concern is the amount of power. You've got 3kw, 5kw even 10kw+ being converted, inverted, etc from the roof, along with all those warning labels. Some of the string inverters even have a "hum". Computers, maybe 300w max. But, yeah, probably equally benign.

Comment

If you are really concerned, mild or soft sheet steel, about the thickness of a tin can, will provide a lot of shielding @ 60Hz. A 4x8 sheet on the wall inside from the inverter , properly grounded, will make it nearly unmeasurable 1 foot away.
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                    X