Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar powered home automation

Hi guys,
    I'm new here and I'm trying to get some feedback, I created a solar powered home automation device and I posted on kickstarter, let me know what you think.
    wwwDOTkickstarterDOTcom/projects/36837225/blinds-controller

--Mod note: Please do not include clickable links to commercial projects, even of the kickstarter variety.
    If you are seriously interested in feedback rather than page rank and participation, the modified link above should get you that.
    Last edited by inetdog; 06-17-2014, 12:38 AM.

Originally posted by scancool View Post
    I created a solar powered home automation device and I posted on kickstarter, let me know what you think.
    That may qualify for the dumb idea of the year award - you would require battery backup - complex and expensive for nothing of use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
      That may qualify for the dumb idea of the year award - you would require battery backup - complex and expensive for nothing of use.
      Thanks for the feedback, it has already a backup battery built-in the smartphone is just to set the settings for the time of the day you want to open and close.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, it has already a backup battery built-in the smartphone is just to set the settings for the time of the day you want to open and close.
        The battery for the curtains is redundant when you are on grid power -

Solar for many functions serves zero purpose - this is one of those.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

The battery for the curtains is redundant when you are on grid power -

Solar for many functions serves zero purpose - this is one of those.

ok, so you just don't like it.

Comment

I think the idea has potential... but also has kinks.

If your solar panel tilted at 90° can sustain the battery for 2 to 4 uses per day, then you've passed first base.
            However, there are homes with windows that face north... and I doubt you'll be able to keep the batteries charged by solar alone.

A feature that attracts me is being able to open and close your blinds with the smart phone.
            Being able to close your blinds in the evening remotely could give a would-be thief the impression that someone is home.

I would build on that feature with a switch that turns on a light and "twitches" the blinds anytime someone is detected outside the window via motion sensor...... you're welcome.
            [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Shockah View Post
              I would build on that feature with a switch that turns on a light and "twitches" the blinds anytime someone is detected outside the window via motion sensor...... you're welcome.
              Is very interesting to see the different point of views, I had posted in many forums, you see it as a security device, I wonder how many people see it as I see it, when I created the blinds controller, this is how I saw it,
              Mod note - xxxxxxxxxxxxxyoutube link removed
              as the good morning scene in the ironman movie in Tony Stark aparment when the reporter wakes up with the sun entering the windows.
              Last edited by russ; 06-19-2014, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Home automation and solar really are two totally different things and security again is a different topic.

Home automation systems do what you describe already - trying to tie solar to it is a dead end. Maybe a couple of percent of the population is into solar - others will stay away.

You are trying to tap into a non existent market.

Forget the you tube links - 99% of them are pure hokum.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Home automation and solar really are two totally different things and security again is a different topic.

Home automation systems do what you describe already - trying to tie solar to it is a dead end. Maybe a couple of percent of the population is into solar - others will stay away.

You are trying to tap into a non existent market.

Forget the you tube links - 99% of them are pure hokum.
                  you seem like a very angry person, is there anything you like? this is a solar forum and you dont like solar, so what are you doing here?

Comment

you seem like a very angry person, is there anything you like? this is a solar forum and you dont like solar, so what are you doing here?
                    scan - We are not here to pander to fools dreams - sorry about that! And angry? Because I disagree with you being silly? Come on!

This is not about liking solar or not liking it - it is about intelligent applications - your fails the test. The function is performed better without the solar component.

Home automation and fancy security systems are great - I have both. They are problematic without making unnecessary complications.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

You got one thing right, this is a solar forum,,,
                      but your product is not a good example of what can be done with solar.

The basic purpose of your creation is so lazy people don't have to stand up to close their blinds or as I suggested earlier, a possible security enhancer.

If you're categorizing your product primarily as "Solar/PV", then it will fail... for all the reasons Russ listed and then some.

You would probably receive more "feel good" feedback if you were to promote this on a "window covering" or "couch potato" forum...
                      maybe offer a free bag of chips with every purchase
                      [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                      X