Need power inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need power inverter

I have a single 85Watt solar panel that normally puts out 21.5 volts.

Where can I find a DC to AC inverter for this panel?

Thanks

Originally posted by ant58 View Post
    I have a single 85Watt solar panel that normally puts out 21.5 volts.

Where can I find a DC to AC inverter for this panel?

Thanks
    You will not find a DC to AC inverter for the panel alone. You will need to include a battery.
    How much power do you need to provide and to what kind of load(s)?
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

For some lighting, so shouldn't be too heavy a load. I think the panel is a 7amp.

Comment

For some lighting, so shouldn't be too heavy a load. I think the panel is a 7amp.
        Need some better numbers here. The panel is not 7 amp; the panel is around 4 amps Imp (if your original numbers are Vmp and total power.) That means you can expect about 3-3.5 amps under normal conditions. This will give you about 15 amp-hours a day in a good location with good sun exposure.

Thus you probably want a 30-40 amp hour battery and a smallish charge controller. That will give you 12 volts to use for the inverter. A small sinewave inverter is probably your best bet like the Suresine 300. That would give you 300 watts for about half an hour a day, or more at lower draws. If your needs are super simple (charging a cellphone or laptop, running some LED lights) you could get away with a cheapo mod-sine inverter, the sort you can get at Radio Shack for $30.

In more northern locations, poorer exposures etc your power will be lower.

Comment

Panel is 4.84 amp, 85 watt panel

Definitely LED lighting.

Comment

No it is not as that is impossible because 21.5 volts x 7 amps = 150 watts does not equal 85 watts. More like 4 amps or slightly less.

You will need a battery of about 50 to 80 AH @ 12 volts and a small charge controller. Use no more than a 100 watt inverter.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              No it is not as that is impossible because 21.5 volts x 7 amps = 150 watts does not equal 85 watts. More like 4 amps or slightly less.

You will need a battery of about 50 to 80 AH @ 12 volts and a small charge controller. Use no more than a 100 watt inverter.
              See post above.

Comment

Panel is 4.84 amp, 85 watt panel
                That's probably Isc not Imp. (Imp is what you actually get during operation.)

Definitely LED lighting.
                Then I'd start with a cheapo inverter. Most LED lights are happy with mod sine power. Avoid dimmable ones.

Comment

Working...
                X