Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY Flexible panel from Uni-solar cells.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Flexible panel from Uni-solar cells.

I finally got EVA to tie my Uni-solar cells together....and now I'm reading something I'm not sure how I missed before. The EVA is not the moisture barrier (i thought it was, else wouldn't you just use silicone, or something else?)......

But.....Uni-solar cells are not normal silicone cells. They are MEANT to be flexible. So they don't have a top glass layer. Do the pre-made panels still have a Tedlar backing?!?!?!?!

What do I do now? Obviously wait and not put it on the roof yet. :-/ What materials do I use for the sunny side, and the dark side of the panel? *sigh*

examples and actual cells I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uni-solar-6-...item2c78d559f6
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEEL-AND-STI...item19ed3b1c30

No info for me? So I'm guessing EVA is a perfect barrier meant to be exposed to the outside world without problems?

Comment

Originally posted by riff42 View Post
      No info for me? So I'm guessing EVA is a perfect barrier meant to be exposed to the outside world without problems?
      Nope and if you go back through old posts you will see people's comments.

You didn't receive any replies as no one is into building panels these days.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

As you indicated EVA is not a good moisture barrier.

The material used on that peel and stick Uni-solar panel is called Durable ETFE which seems to have moisture barrier as well as allowing good light transfer.

And as Russ pointed out. There are not too many people looking to make or DIY their own solar panels when the factory made ones are relatively inexpensive and are higher quality.

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
          Nope and if you go back through old posts you will see people's comments.

You didn't receive any replies as no one is into building panels these days.
          Yeah....except me. Thanks Russ.....you are helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
            As you indicated EVA is not a good moisture barrier.

The material used on that peel and stick Uni-solar panel is called Durable ETFE which seems to have moisture barrier as well as allowing good light transfer.

And as Russ pointed out. There are not too many people looking to make or DIY their own solar panels when the factory made ones are relatively inexpensive and are higher quality.
            Well, the deal seemed good, so i got the cells. I have the ability to vacuum and cook EVA as well, but I never knew EVA was not the way to go, since everything I see IS EVA.....I just happened to not go the normal route with Si cells and glass/Tedlar.

I've tried Si cells, still have the box......but flexible cells...WHY NOT!?

*sigh*

sooooo....I need to find ETFE eh?

Comment

Working...
            X