Is my battery bank corret for 28,800 watt hours?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bennysolar
    • Jan 2013

Is my battery bank corret for 28,800 watt hours?

Just throwing around some dream ideas if I had the cash and resources....but is my math right?

I would be running 2,400 watts an hour, for 12 hours a day...so my need is 28,800 watt hours per day right?

I would want a 48v bank...which would require 1,532 amp hours @ 60f lowest temp and an assumed 50% discharge.

My numbers come out to be 52 AGM batteries rated at 12v and 125AH each

4 strings of 13

each string wired in series to give 1,625AH

and each string connected in parallel to increase the voltage to 48v

Is this right, it seems like a whole lot?

Now on too calculating the amount of 250w solar panels mounted to as many needed dual axis sun trackers??
  • Wy_White_Wolf
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2011

Get out of the 12v box. If you need 1500AH battery get a 1500AH battery and run only 1 string.

Yes that's a lot but so is you 2400 watt load for 12 hours.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Bennysolar
      Just throwing around some dream ideas if I had the cash and resources....but is my math right?

I would be running 2,400 watts an hour, for 12 hours a day...so my need is 28,800 watt hours per day right?

I would want a 48v bank...which would require 1,532 amp hours @ 60f lowest temp and an assumed 50% discharge.

4 strings of 13

Now on too calculating the amount of 250w solar panels mounted to as many needed dual axis sun trackers??
      No that is not correct. It would be 4 12volt batteries wired in series to get the 48volts and 13 of those strings wired in parallel.

Now the bad news. Even small paralleled battery systems are doomed to fail. The one you are looking at is huge and will not last a couple of cycles. If you need a 48 volt battery system then purchase high AH FLA type batteries rated either 2 or 4 volts and wire them in series to get the 48 volt.

Finally. Running 28.8kWh system on batteries is just crazy. The cost is in the tens of thousands for the install and then thousands again in 3 to 5 years when the batteries fail.

If you want to go solar then look into a professionally installed Grid Tie System. If there is no grid around then get yourself a generator to run that electrical load.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Bennysolar

4 strings of 13

No your math is not right, you only got one answer right:

2400 watts x 12 hours = 28,800 watt hours.

Nothing after that point is correct

Battery Capacity needed for 50% DOD = 57,600 watt hours.
        Battery Amp Hours @ 48 volts = 57,600 wh/ 48 volts = 1200 Amp Hours.

With electricity particularly batteries:

Series voltage adds, and Amp Hours remain the same. Example 4-12 volt, 200 AH batteries wired in series gets you 48 volts @ 200 AH
        Parallel Current adds and voltage remains the same. Same example above except wire all 4 batteries in series gets you 12 volts @ 800 AH

So if you were to build a 48 volt 1200 AH battery stack using the batteries in my example would require 24 batteries 4 wired in series, and 6 parallel strings. However it would be very foolish to use 12 volt 200 AH batteries to do this. That is what White Wolf meant by get out of that 12 volt box you are trapped in. You would use 2 volt 1200 AH cells to make a single string, or 24 of them wired in series.

Additionally discharging 50 DOD is asking for disaster. Your batteries would only last a year or so, and you will be dark many days in a year because you have nothing for cloudy days.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...