X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisOlson
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Rdjntx
    you comment is pretty much irrelevant and immaterial to the discussion since climate change is not a "conspiracy" but rather a scientific disagreement. and you are correct, when the super volcano at yellowstone errupts we will all die sooner than we thought .. so what's your point other than it being hperbole?
    It's tourist season in Yellowstone Natl Park. Take a trip and go check the place out. You'll come back home with a renewed outlook, realizing that so-called "climate change" is a minor issue for the long term survival of the human species compared to that big boiling mass in Wyoming. Supervolcanoes don't erupt. They explode. There is only 10 of them known on earth and the biggest one there in Wyoming has a magma chamber that goes down over 400 miles. It is a hole in the earth's mantle that lets the inferno in the center of the earth out.

It is a sure thing it will explode again, just that nobody knows when. I think the EPA and government should be concentrating on trying to figure out how to stop it. But guess what? They'd have about as much luck trying to control a tiny supervolcano a few hundred miles across, as they are going to have controlling climate change on a whole planet. I hope that helps put things into perspective.
    off-grid in Northern Wisconsin for 14 years

Comment

• Rdjntx
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2012

there is no way to stop it. when mother nature decides she has had enough it will explode and human kind will cease to exist. I have never been to yellow stone altho I have always wanted to go, being in afghanistan makes it a bit tough at the moment.

Originally posted by ChrisOlson
      It's tourist season in Yellowstone Natl Park. Take a trip and go check the place out. You'll come back home with a renewed outlook, realizing that so-called "climate change" is a minor issue for the long term survival of the human species compared to that big boiling mass in Wyoming. Supervolcanoes don't erupt. They explode. There is only 10 of them known on earth and the biggest one there in Wyoming has a magma chamber that goes down over 400 miles. It is a hole in the earth's mantle that lets the inferno in the center of the earth out.

It is a sure thing it will explode again, just that nobody knows when. I think the EPA and government should be concentrating on trying to figure out how to stop it. But guess what? They'd have about as much luck trying to control a tiny supervolcano a few hundred miles across, as they are going to have controlling climate change on a whole planet. I hope that helps put things into perspective.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

there is no way to stop it. when mother nature decides she has had enough it will explode and human kind will cease to exist. I have never been to yellow stone altho I have always wanted to go, being in afghanistan makes it a bit tough at the moment.
        Yellowstone had an interesting "road melt" incident on July 11th where the asphalt on Firehole Lake Drive became very hot and deformed and a 3 mile stretch was closed down.

Some areas are getting awful hot destroying vegetation and man made objects all around the park. There has also been a noted increase in land height in some areas suggesting pressure below is pushing up.

Whenever it goes if not a life ending event for many species it will certainly be a bigger problem then what is going on around the world right now.

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle
          Yellowstone had an interesting "road melt" incident on July 11th where the asphalt on Firehole Lake Drive became very hot and deformed and a 3 mile stretch was closed down.

Some areas are getting awful hot destroying vegetation and man made objects all around the park. There has also been a noted increase in land height in some areas suggesting pressure below is pushing up.

Whenever it goes if not a life ending event for many species it will certainly be a bigger problem then what is going on around the world right now.
          Actually the hot spots and geysers shift around a good bit. Old Faithful has it's name for that reason - it doesn't shift on the time scale observed.

I saw Yellowstone years back and in October - better as the crowds have long gone. I was more impressed with the wildlife!
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• ChrisOlson
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2013

We're riding to Sturgis on the 2nd, then Tuesday - Thursday we're heading over to Yellowstone for a few days to check that out. Then riding back to the rally to catch the concert at The Chip on Friday night. The last time we were at Old Faithful they got an observation area and they don't let anybody get close to it anymore because of superheated steam coming out of the vent in between eruptions. You can't see the steam because it's so hot, until it hits the air and cools it where it forms some vapor. If a person accidentally gets into the superheated steam coming out of there you'd be instantly cooked to the core.

The last time we were there they had boardwalks over some of the boiling hot springs. They've since close those since a woman that had a little poodle dog on a leash had the stupid dog jump in and it was instantly scalded and killed. The stench of sulfur around those hot springs is too strong anyway and you can't even breathe in there. So they've restricted access to some of the more dangerous areas in recent years.

Pretty much the whole place is not good. There's some beautiful views there but they've even cut off hiking and camping in some of the low lying areas in recent years because the gases that are heavier than air (including CO2) settle in the low areas and have killed off or driven the wildlife out. Where the gases settle depends on the winds, so the dangerous areas are no longer open.

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

The lady with the poodle - someone should have pushed her so she could join the mutt.

Last time I was there - October 79 - I suppose it has changed a bit.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

if more politicians would do what is right without worrying about their next election the U.S. would be a much better place
                Term limits would encourage that - a max 4 year congressman and a 12 year senator would have a different outlook.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Rdjntx
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2012

Originally posted by russ
                  Term limits would encourage that - a max 4 year congressman and a 12 year senator would have a different outlook.
                  agreed. I am a huge fan of term limits and try not to vote for anyone that is against them.

Comment

• JCP
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Mar 2014

So, basically since Yellowstone will erupt at some point in the future (it goes off every 400-800,000 year apparently), we should ignore global warming... That is one weak argument.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by JCP
                      So, basically since Yellowstone will erupt at some point in the future (it goes off every 400-800,000 year apparently), we should ignore global warming... That is one weak argument.
                      I'm not ignoring global warning. I just don't agree that humans are either the major contributor to the problem or that we can make any difference in stopping climate change.

Sure I want less pollution and clean energy but shutting down our coal burning generating plants won't fix the climate change problem. It will just hurt our economy and put a lot of people out of a job.

For that matter I saw in today's paper that the US is now exporting more coal then it is burning to generate electricity. So even if we stopped burning all coal in the US it will continue to be burned in other countries. So stopping coal here will not stop it from going up into the atmosphere.

Oh and for the prediction of Yellowstone erupting. How about this hockey stick graph of all world volcano activity.

Volc_Cov2.JPG

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by JCP
                        No one said that.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Rdjntx
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by JCP
                          who said that? quote it, if you please

Comment

• ChrisOlson
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Sep 2013

yes indeed. What I said was,

It's tourist season in Yellowstone Natl Park. Take a trip and go check the place out. You'll come back home with a renewed outlook, realizing that so-called "climate change" is a minor issue for the long term survival of the human species compared to that big boiling mass in Wyoming

Climate Change? Ho hum. The climate on this planet has been changing for billions of years. Long before man ever showed up on the place. All indications are that if the planet does warm it will actually be GOOD for life on the planet, not bad. It's man's own fault that he's stupid enough to think that everything is going to remain static and he has control over it.

An event like Yellowstone exploding? These events have been known to cause the extinction of many of the species on earth several times over in 4 billion years.

Humans weren't around when the last big one touched off. We evolved in the recovery from it. You ain't dealing with science fiction here - the eruption of the smaller supervolcano in Indonesia 74,000 years ago is estimated to have killed 85% of the humans on earth at the time. This planet we live on is not a friendly place. Humans have evolved on it during a warm period in the planet's past and managed to thrive. But we are powerless in the face of Mother Nature and one day she will wipe most, if not all, of us out in the blink of an eye. If you think the human race is invincible, that's your first big mistake. Air-breathing organisims have been wiped out on this planet time after time in the past. The organisms that have developed the best survival strategy have survived. And those include plants that drop seeds that can remain viable for thousands of years and finally grow when the conditions turn right - and the creatures that live in the seas. Every time it has happened a new batch of air-breathing life emerges and evolves because most, or all, of the old species were killed.

The Climate Change issue is touted as disasterous and a bunch of other BS. Like I said - if you want to see the real problem that is much more likely to wipe us all out, go visit Yellowstone sometime. When you are standing on it, reach the realization that beneath your feet lies thousands of times more power than all the nuclear weapons on earth detonated simultaneously, and that thing underneath it is active and grumbling and rumbling - it touches off roughly every 600,000 years, and the last time it went was 640,000 years ago. If you're still worried about climate change being the major problem for the human race after seeing that sh!t, then it's obvious that you're nothing but a democrat.

Comment

• Rdjntx
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2012

BUT, you said it was a minor issue, you did NOT say it should be ignored because of the potential for yellowstone to blow up

Originally posted by ChrisOlson
                              yes indeed. What I said was,

It's tourist season in Yellowstone Natl Park. Take a trip and go check the place out. You'll come back home with a renewed outlook, realizing that so-called "climate change" is a minor issue for the long term survival of the human species compared to that big boiling mass in Wyoming

Climate Change? Ho hum. The climate on this planet has been changing for billions of years. Long before man ever showed up on the place. All indications are that if the planet does warm it will actually be GOOD for life on the planet, not bad. It's man's own fault that he's stupid enough to think that everything is going to remain static and he has control over it.

An event like Yellowstone exploding? These events have been known to cause the extinction of many of the species on earth several times over in 4 billion years.

Humans weren't around when the last big one touched off. We evolved in the recovery from it. You ain't dealing with science fiction here - the eruption of the smaller supervolcano in Indonesia 74,000 years ago is estimated to have killed 85% of the humans on earth at the time. This planet we live on is not a friendly place. Humans have evolved on it during a warm period in the planet's past and managed to thrive. But we are powerless in the face of Mother Nature and one day she will wipe most, if not all, of us out in the blink of an eye. If you think the human race is invincible, that's your first big mistake. Air-breathing organisims have been wiped out on this planet time after time in the past. The organisms that have developed the best survival strategy have survived. And those include plants that drop seeds that can remain viable for thousands of years and finally grow when the conditions turn right - and the creatures that live in the seas. Every time it has happened a new batch of air-breathing life emerges and evolves because most, or all, of the old species were killed.

The Climate Change issue is touted as disasterous and a bunch of other BS. Like I said - if you want to see the real problem that is much more likely to wipe us all out, go visit Yellowstone sometime. When you are standing on it, reach the realization that beneath your feet lies thousands of times more power than all the nuclear weapons on earth detonated simultaneously, and that thing underneath it is active and grumbling and rumbling - it touches off roughly every 600,000 years, and the last time it went was 640,000 years ago. If you're still worried about climate change being the major problem for the human race after seeing that sh!t, then it's obvious that you're nothing but a democrat.

Comment

• JCP
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Mar 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
                                I'm not ignoring global warning. I just don't agree that humans are either the major contributor to the problem or that we can make any difference in stopping climate change.

Sure I want less pollution and clean energy but shutting down our coal burning generating plants won't fix the climate change problem. It will just hurt our economy and put a lot of people out of a job.

For that matter I saw in today's paper that the US is now exporting more coal then it is burning to generate electricity. So even if we stopped burning all coal in the US it will continue to be burned in other countries. So stopping coal here will not stop it from going up into the atmosphere.

Oh and for the prediction of Yellowstone erupting. How about this hockey stick graph of all world volcano activity.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4543[/ATTACH]
                                OMG, if we stop using coal, we're going to sink the economy. OMG, if we start depolluting car exhaust, we're going to sink the economy. OMG, if we require cars to be more fuel efficient, we're going to sink the economy. Sounds familiar?

Now, not using coal here to export it to China does not help anybody. Richard Muller advocates helping China develop fracking so that it can switch to natural gas to lower its pollution. http://www.naturalgaseurope.com/rich...ironmentalists

Comment

Working...