Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mountain
    • Nov 2009

solar thermal, angle of incidence

In the course of building 2 solar-thermal direct-air this past fall & winter, I learned something about the best orientation.

We live at latitude 50 degC, and we get winter, with occasional snow and lots of frost. Since the goal was to build a solar collector that produced harvested maximum overall energy (of any form), and our winter heating was by far the lion's share of our overall energy consumption, I opted for direct-air solar-thermal.

For the 1st collector, I was concerned about optimizing the panel's angle of incidence pertaining to the altitude of the sun above the horizon. See attached image files. It works great, but once winter arrived, I discovered the nightly frost & occasional snow required daily clearing if the panel was to remain effective. I ended up a building flip-up/down cover.

Heeding the advice of others, my next collector was oriented vertically, and located under an overhang. The ground in front of the collector is typically snow-white during the heating season, so it still works great... better in fact. It is also located beneath the roof overhang, so frost doesn't accumulate at all. It's practically maintenance free, and the power/area ratio of the vertical collector exceeds that of the angled collector.

Of course if you live closer to the equator, you need to make sure the overhang will not shade your collector.

Our solar-thermal collectors have slashed 25% off of our winter heating bill thus far. The next project is a solar-thermal parabolic mirror hot-water pre-heater for our domestic hot-water.
    Attached Files
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Awesome! This sort of stuff will help wean folks off oil & coal
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• netttech
      • Dec 2009

I never had frost problems with my solar space heating panel. I would get some, but it would clear itself pretty quick, with sun shining. I did not use Plexi-glass or standard glass for the glazing which may have helped with the frost. I went super cheapo & used the heat-shrink plastic for glazing. That stuff normally used on the inside of your windows.
      It's pretty tough stuff, because it survived, intact, thru the entire winter. I did discover 2 layers spaced 1" apart (double pane affect) greatly improved the overall performance.
      BTW, my next test panel is also parabolic mirror. Great minds think alike??
      Jeff
      [url="http://solarpaneltalk.com/album.php?u=2072"]First panel 40 volts, 140+ watts[/url]

Comment

• jcarry
        • Apr 2011

hy i am jcarry her i shared some information for you guys
        The optical characterization of solar absorbers for thermal solar collectors is usually performed by measurement of the spectral reflectance at near-normal angle of incidence and calculation of the solar absorptance from the measured reflectance. The solar absorptance is, however, a function of the angle of incidence of the light impinging on the absorber. The total reflectance of two types of commercial solar-selective absorbers, nickel-pigmented anodized aluminum, and sputtered nickel/nickel oxide coated aluminum are measured at angles of incidence from 5
        jcarry

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

Hi jcarry - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Interesting information!

Russ
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• LucMan
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2010

Here is a great tool for calculating overhang.

Comment

Working...