Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how net metered energy is billed by SCE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how net metered energy is billed by SCE?

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of having solar installed and buying the electricity from the company at a flat rate. My question is, if the system ends up being undersized, how does SCE bill me for the additional power that they supply to me? Is it at a flat rate at the end of the month or year or is it a tiered system? Also, what is the rate structure or cost like?

Originally posted by russriggs View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of having solar installed and buying the electricity from the company at a flat rate. My question is, if the system ends up being undersized, how does SCE bill me for the additional power that they supply to me? Is it at a flat rate at the end of the month or year or is it a tiered system? Also, what is the rate structure or cost like?
    I don't think SCE has a "flat rate" schedule. It's a free country, but I'd suggest you spend some time with you bill and on line studying SCE tariffs and the thus the various ways SCE can bill you before you think about solar.

Comment

but that's why I'm asking. I know how they bill me now. I'm asking if once switched to the net metering program, is the billing going to be similar or different? I did a search and read their website but it doesn't tell how the billing is structured; just the general nature of how the billing frequency is.

Comment

Contact Edison at Number Below

Contact SoCal Edison NEM Billing group at:

M-F 8am to 5pm
        866 701-7868

For info on billing options with solar panels

Then post what they told you please!

Comment

hi everyone. I called the line and here's what I learned.

They said that the same billing structure is employed (so it's a tiered system). The rates are the same.

So with that being said, here's what I am curious to know. Solar is going to generate almost 100% during the peak daytime period. I only use 14% of my energy during that time. So, would the solar wipe out that tier first (I'd assume so) and then the remaining solar generation would be applied to the off peak (about 65% of my energy usage) and any remaining to the super off peak?

On my current bill, I have 3 categories which may be different than other peoples due to us having an electric car.

Comment

hi everyone. I called the line and here's what I learned.

They said that the same billing structure is employed (so it's a tiered system). The rates are the same.

So with that being said, here's what I am curious to know. Solar is going to generate almost 100% during the peak daytime period. I only use 14% of my energy during that time. So, would the solar wipe out that tier first (I'd assume so) and then the remaining solar generation would be applied to the off peak (about 65% of my energy usage) and any remaining to the super off peak?

On my current bill, I have 3 categories which may be different than other peoples due to us having an electric car.
            I cannot say for sure about SCE, but for PG&E which is subject to the same state net metering laws:
            Each time period total is kept separately. For whatever tier you are in for that time period the effective rate for energy used is the same as the effective rate for surplus energy sold back. That means that you may have a net credit for the peak use period and a net amount due for the partial peak and off peak periods. That months net figures are billed/credited at the appropriate tier rate based on your baseline and higher tier numbers. Those tier numbers as well as the time period rates may be different if you have an EV.

Each time category is totaled up at the end of the 1 year cycle and a net credit or debit in dollars is figured.
            Those dollar amounts are then added together.
            Any net debit is due from you. Any net credit is erased and the next 1 year cycle starts off with a zero balance in all time periods.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Guessing

Without the car charger option, SCE has 4 Tiers. I thought SCE charges you each month for the amount of electricity you pulled in off the grid for that month plus a base transportation fee. So if your SP system generated 500 kWH and you used 600 kWh in a month you would be charged for using 100 kWh for that month. Since the first Tier is the first 327 kWh, your 100kWh use would be all at the first tier rate. This all assumes no TOU billing. I would like to know how the TOU billing works. Can you explain TOU charges?

Comment

No because rather than your peak surplus offsetting an equal amount of kWH in the off peak it will offset a corresponding dollar amount in the off peak instead. Much better for you. See my more complete explanation in my earlier post.
                SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

If you have SCE, when you commission your solar system you will receive a big envolpe from SCE telling your that your Net Metering is 1 to 1 credit. Log on to SEC.com and your can track your daily usage in ( + or - ) Depend on which region you locate, you have different baseline. In Orange Country, the baseline is about 10.1 kWh Summer and 9.2 kWh Winter per day. That is your tier one rate. 100% to 130% is your tier 2 rate. 130% to 200% is your tier 3 rate and 200%+ is tier 4 rate.

Com'on, all that info is at SCE.com

Comment

Working...
                  X