battery bank truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
    Dude ! They have these things called PV panels, that keep vehicle batteries topped off while in storage
    Yep. I almost bought one of those small solar trickle chargers but then saw that I get shade just about all day except for early morning. Not a good place to use what I know would help float charge them batteries.

I just wish I could leave it next to my house but one of my neighbors has already called the police about this Big (36 footer) RV parked on the public road more then a few hours.

I need to move out to the country where there are fewer people butting into my business.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      One thing that has come up in other threads is that current energy and emissions laws are prohibiting an over the road truck from being parked more than a small period of time with the engine left running.
      I assume this is a Calaphonie Law? Have you ever seen a Truck Stop at night? Especially cold nights with the trucker inside his sleeper maken bacon with a local working girl.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        I assume this is a Calaphonie Law? Have you ever seen a Truck Stop at night? Especially cold nights with the trucker inside his sleeper maken bacon with a local working girl.
        Pretty much universal at least on this coast.
        I am seeing more and more trucks with small heat pumps and large battery banks to run the heating and cooling along with entertainment.
        Will have to snap a picture next time I see one
        NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle
          I just wish I could leave it next to my house but one of my neighbors has already called the police about this Big (36 footer) RV parked on the public road more then a few hours.

I need to move out to the country where there are fewer people butting into my business. :biggrin1
          I am enduring winters here in the WILD WEST, because (among other things) you can
          park about anything you want about anywhere, and nobody cares. See example.

Doesn't that RV have a generator set you could run periodically to recharge, instead
          of the main engine?

I have also heard of the plan to provide plug ins for the trucker's overnight parking,
          so the engine can be shut off. Bruce Roe
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
            I have also heard of the plan to provide plug ins for the trucker's overnight parking,
            And the working girls validate your electric charge as an incentive to hook up?
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

I am enduring winters here in the WILD WEST, because (among other things) you can
              park about anything you want about anywhere, and nobody cares. See example.

Doesn't that RV have a generator set you could run periodically to recharge, instead
              of the main engine?

Generator is not working properly right now otherwise I would use that to charge the coach batteries. I have to check to see if the starter battery can be charged from the generator but I do not believe it is wired that way.

Nice tank picture. Did she run over that car or just make it look like she was going to.

Comment

RV Battery Maintaining

Originally posted by SunEagle
                Generator is not working properly right now otherwise I would use
                that to charge the coach batteries. I have to check to see if the starter battery can be
                charged from the generator but I do not believe it is wired that way.

Nice tank picture. Did she run over that car or just make it look like she was going to.
                That picture was taken about 4 house down my street. Joan says the way traffic is here,
                she would love to drive a vehicle like that WWII amphibious landing craft (seen in many
                films of the Pacific war). Fortunately for my car, it has no engine, though we considered
                connecting a Cad 500 engine & TH400 trans for crawling around.

Sounds like the RV battery answer is fixing the generator, add a big charger if needed.
                Bruce Roe

Comment

That picture was taken about 4 house down my street. Joan says the way traffic is here,
                  she would love to drive a vehicle like that WWII amphibious landing craft (seen in many
                  films of the Pacific war).
                  You can still buy those, they are called Ducks. Go to Branson Misery and there are a dozen different tour operators using them.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

films of the Pacific war). Fortunately for my car, it has no engine, though we considered
                    connecting a Cad 500 engine & TH400 trans for crawling around.

Sounds like the RV battery answer is fixing the generator, add a big charger if needed.
                    Bruce Roe
                    I would think that the insurance on one of those tracked vehicles would be prohibitively expensive.

Yep. Fixing the generator and replacing the coach batteries (one seems to discharge below 6v just sitting there) is on my to do list.

The charger is only a year old and while I can't remember the make and model it is similar to an IOTA 55A. It works just fine with shore power.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                      I would think that the insurance on one of those
                      tracked vehicles would be prohibitively expensive.
                      There is no way those vehicles can go on a road, which they would tear up.
                      It would just drive around on the dirt here. Those tracks can swim quite
                      well (no propeller), they could climb over coral reefs and onto the beach.
                      There were several variations of them, which related to if the top carried
                      big guns, or just shielded troops. The armor was no where near as heavy
                      as a tank.

At the Dells north of here, they are still using DUCKs for splashy river tours.
                      This vehicle started as a rubber tired 3 axle AWD 2.5 ton truck. They added
                      a boat hull around it and a propeller or 2 to make it amphibious. No tracks.
                      Bruce Roe

Comment

At the Dells north of here, they are still using DUCKs for splashy river tours.
                        This vehicle started as a rubber tired 3 axle AWD 2.5 ton truck. They added
                        a boat hull around it and a propeller or 2 to make it amphibious.
                        They also added a bilge pump or two, and the vehicle can sink rather suddenly if they stop working.
                        There was a sinking with fatalities and a major lawsuit a few years ago.
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by solarninja View Post
                          The part I don't understand is why you wanna be rude. I did nothing but ask a question, and I appreciate all members responses save this one
                          Don't mind him; there are a few posters here who get angry when you don't think the same way they do.

As others have mentioned if the truck is being driven regularly you have a better source of power from the alternator. However for battery maintenance or to power loads when the truck will be off for long periods solar makes sense. Size depends on what you want to power. Lights, fans, occasional jumpstarts is easy to plan for; a welder would be very hard, and the expense probably wouldn't be worth it.

Comment

Working...
                          X