Thin Film Solar Panels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin Film Solar Panels.

I am looking for solar panels to start a small to medium size off grid system and came across these thin film pv for $.98/watt. Does anyone have any experience with these panels. I understand they are for 48volt system, and I haven't started anything yet. Was waiting to see what overall cost would be. Why are these panels so cheap? Are they garbage? I also understand that you need twice the space since they are half as efficient, but are they even worth messing with. I just have heard a lot of negative things about thin film panels, and want to know if what i have heard is true or not. Is the only downside from a mono/poly silicon panel the efficiency. I found them at sunelec.com, which is a company in Miami. If anyone has dealt with this company, a review would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Adam

Thin film is a well known panel. You are right, they need more surface area for the same watts, and they also generally have a shorter 80% of spec life. Often, a new 200W panel, will put out 250 w for the first year, and they slowly degrade, at a higher rate then Mono/poly panels. The Vendor only sells them, the Mfg carries the warranty. AFIK, Sunelec is a OK vendor.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

The price is too cheap. I do not know which type of glass do they use? Is this double glass thin film module? You need to check with them carefully.

I know the market price is 1,35US$ from the mft.

Comment

Working...
      X