Charging a Duracell Powerpack 300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging a Duracell Powerpack 300

I picked up a duracell powerpack 300 to charge with a 15 watt solar panel. The manual states that I can directly charge it from any 12 volt type panel under 30 watts. I assume it has its own built in charging circuit.

I charged the powerpack up with the included 120 volt wall plug for 48 hours like it recommended. I used the powerpack to run my laptop for a bit until the battery got low then I connected my 15 watt solar panel. In full sunlight the solar panel was putting out 21 volts and about 700ma as measure with a multimeter. The charging light on the powerpack comes on indicating its charging but the battery level never seems to increase. Its been charging for about a week now without the battery level indicator moving at all.

It seems to charge fine via the wall plug, has anyone tried one of these power packs in conjunction with solar panels?

Here's a link to a similar setup. I have a different panel, but that shouldn't matter too much...

http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Laptop-C.../dp/B002LKRFVY

duracell powerpack.

Hi: I have misplaced my ac wall charger and trying to replace it. Could you please let me know what voltage and current output it says on your wall charger. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by omniphil View Post
      In full sunlight the solar panel was putting out 21 volts and about 700ma as measure with a multimeter. The charging light on the powerpack comes on indicating its charging but the battery level never seems to increase. Its been charging for about a week now without the battery level indicator moving at all.
      Well if I had to guess I would say the battery is fully charged and yu will not see the voltage change. What voltage do you measure on the battery during daylight, and then again at night when the battery has rested for a few hours.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

13.5 volts dc
        300ma
        positive tip

Originally posted by arvinp View Post
        Hi: I have misplaced my ac wall charger and trying to replace it. Could you please let me know what voltage and current output it says on your wall charger. Thanks.

Comment

OK 13.5 is fully charge float mode.

Now tel me this I want to know the voltage after it has rested a few hour with no charger or load connected. After a few hours the surface charge will bleed off and give an accurate state of charge reading.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

I heard that Duracell manufacturing company bringing new products in hearing aid batteries, Can anyone tell me the price limits for those because when I searched in the online sites then it was too high. But now I read an article too about Duracell new products. Actually this one need for my daughter who has hearing problem and bad quality battery doesn’t work well in the machine.

hearing aid battery link deleted.
            This is YOUR warning. another gag like that and you are history.
            Mod
            Last edited by Mike90250; 09-30-2011, 09:38 AM.

Comment

It is really cute what the spammers try. It it works for them all too often I suppose.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

this is not a solar question so apologies...I see EE's on here though, so...
                (I have some experience, but pretty weak on theory.)

i have a duracell powerpack300, with no charger/adapter. google brought me here, and i see from previous posts the oem brick is as follows:
                Originally posted by omniphil View Post
                13.5 volts dc
                300ma
                positive tip
                I have a couple on hand (don't we all...) that might work, but not sure what will happen if i use them:
                A) 13.2v 140mA
                B) 12v 500mA

I think that (A) is a problem due to insufficient current and will fail smoketest. please confirm?

I have tried (B) but charging is very slow, which I think makes sense because source voltage is the same as the target device. Also, when i subsequently tried to use the powercell to jump my truck it didn't have the juice to do it (maybe the powercell battery is just gone, I got the thing for free from a guy who was moving)

thanks again
                -Mike

Comment

You might be OK using BOTH of them,

Do the initial charge with B, and when it fades off, switch to A, which should be able to top the cells off.

Your mileage may vary.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                    You might be OK using BOTH of them,

Do the initial charge with B, and when it fades off, switch to A, which should be able to top the cells off.

Your mileage may vary.
                    Thanks Mike, I appreciate the response to my off-topic post. Not sure what you meant by "when it fades off", my guess would be "when the battery voltage is no longer increasing".

Comment

Working...
                    X