Can solar power run an indoor grow light?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LonesomeGeorge
    • Apr 2014

Can solar power run an indoor grow light?

I've been reading a few threads and understand that minimizing your draw is essential. I've read about different types of panels, controllers and battery bank sizes and spec's for different purposes. Too a layman like me there's a lot of variables and calculations that would take me a long time to sort out with a large possibility of getting it wrong in the end! I'd certainly appreciate any suggestions that you pro's could give me! Even if it comes out that it can't be done, it would save me a great amount of time and money!

Is it possible to power a florescent grow light in case the world goes to $hit and I need to grow my veggies inside away from the hoards of zombies and vegetable thieves?! The light is an envirogrow T8 8 bulb unit. It draws 3.6 amps @ 115v - 435 watts. It would need to run 12 or so hours a day. Didn't know if this idea is feasable or not.

I live in Central NY where the sun does shine from time to time.. but not every day! I also thought about hooking a truck alternator up to a stationary bike and peddling my a$$ off to recharge on the darker days..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! LG..
  • indie
    • Jan 2014

Hi there,
    Take a look at the off grid section. There is a great sticky that will help you to realize this is a bit silly.
    You will need to be off-grid, meaning a battery bank, batteries will need to be replaced every 5-7 years depending on how they are treated, and maintained. Could be in two years they need replaced if mistreated.
    That's going to be your downfall, other than cost, if SHTF there won't be any where to get those replacements.
    Better off getting a shotgun gun to protect your outdoor garden

Comment

• LonesomeGeorge
      • Apr 2014

Veggie stealers..

Originally posted by indie
      Hi there,
      Take a look at the off grid section. There is a great sticky that will help you to realize this is a bit silly.
      You will need to be off-grid, meaning a battery bank, batteries will need to be replaced every 5-7 years depending on how they are treated, and maintained. Could be in two years they need replaced if mistreated.
      That's going to be your downfall, other than cost, if SHTF there won't be any where to get those replacements.
      Thank you for your reply! I kind of thought that it would be out of the question but had to ask! I see that battery life is a governing factor, even if you take care of them properly! One question.. can you store a new battery bank (dry) for any length of time, adding electrolyte when battery change out is needed?

Oh, I've got the shotgun.. just thought that it would be nicer of me to hide my veggies in a hole instead of having to take innocent, starving people's lives because they want my tomatoes!!

Thanks again! I'll check out the off grid section for that sticky! LG

Comment

• billvon
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by LonesomeGeorge
        Is it possible to power a florescent grow light in case the world goes to $hit and I need to grow my veggies inside away from the hoards of zombies and vegetable thieves?!
        Sure. But a skylight (or a heliostat if you want to get fancy) is far cheaper, more reliable, more efficient and less prone to damage. If you're living in the zombie apocalypse, your neighbors are going to be eyeing your solar panels greedily. Best to minimize their number and/or hide them where possible.

Comment

• LonesomeGeorge
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by billvon
          Sure. But a skylight (or a heliostat if you want to get fancy) is far cheaper, more reliable, more efficient and less prone to damage. If you're living in the zombie apocalypse, your neighbors are going to be eyeing your solar panels greedily. Best to minimize their number and/or hide them where possible.
          You know, that skylight idea has got me thinking!! Thanks for suggesting that! A good friend once told me that there's more than one way to skin a cat! Who skins cat's??

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

NY is not the best place for a grow house.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• LonesomeGeorge
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by russ
              NY is not the best place for a grow house.
              I'm not sure if you're meaning what I think that you're implying..if it has to do with drugs, I can assure you you're way off base. My interest in this subject is 100% geared to a dire survival situation. Feeding my family and protecting our food source if society does fail. I was looking for useful information not sarcasm when I asked the question. If you have anything positive that could expand my knowledge of this subject I'd appreciate the help..

Comment

• LonesomeGeorge
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by indie
                Hi there,
                I'm going to check out the off grid section but just wanted to ask first if the draw that I mentioned is a possibility, excluding the limitations on battery life. Hopefully within 5 years society may be restored to the point where new hardware would be available and/or less possibility of roving bands stealing food. I wasn't sure if the basic numbers were good enough to run a light to grow veggies in a more protected environment. 110V, 3.6a, 440w(?)

Thanks for helping.. George..

Comment

• mapmaker
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2012

just wanted to ask first if the draw that I mentioned is a possibility, excluding the limitations on battery life.
                  yes it can be done, but it will be very expensive. To change the subject slightly.... do you really think a 440 watt light can grow enough veggies to feed a family? A 440 watt lightbulb, if 100% efficient, could illuminate about 4 sq ft to the level of the midday sun.

--mapmaker
                  ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

I'm not sure if you're meaning what I think that you're implying..if it has to do with drugs, I can assure you you're way off base. My interest in this subject is 100% geared to a dire survival situation. Feeding my family and protecting our food source if society does fail. I was looking for useful information not sarcasm when I asked the question. If you have anything positive that could expand my knowledge of this subject I'd appreciate the help..
                    Your PV panels will be the biggest target, and the hardest to defend.

A shed or garage, with skylights like a greenhouse, will be the better way. Trying to grow enough veggies to live on without sunlight will be difficult. I'm sure someone is selling a kit, but all the losses involved, batteries, inverters, you are better off with skylights or a conventional greenhouse without the difficult to protect PV. IMHO
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

... One question.. can you store a new battery bank (dry) for any length of time, adding electrolyte when battery change out is needed? ....
                      Nope.. they start aging when they leave the factory, even the "dry charged" ones. 5-7 years, then they are toast.
                      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• LonesomeGeorge
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by mapmaker
                        yes it can be done, but it will be very expensive. To change the subject slightly.... do you really think a 440 watt light can grow enough veggies to feed a family? A 440 watt lightbulb, if 100% efficient, could illuminate about 4 sq ft to the level of the midday sun.

--mapmaker
                        Well, system cost would be a factor, of course.. these are the specifics I'm looking for along with viability, etc. As for these 4' long by 8 tube T8's, they put out a large amount of light and are 8 sq feet themselves. The store that I saw the light has 2 of these lights end to end over an 8' long x 5' wide hydroponics flood drain setup. The tomatoes that they are going to harvest are #1 organic with no poisons or chemicals and #2 going to fill at least 2 bushels... a good harvest in record time! So I would have to believe that one light would help feed 2-4 people with safe, nutritional veggies. I've got a pressure cooker for canning venison, etc.
                        So how expensive are we talking for a setup to run one light?

Thank you very much for your input! G..

Comment

• LonesomeGeorge
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Mike90250
                          Nope.. they start aging when they leave the factory, even the "dry charged" ones. 5-7 years, then they are toast.
                          That blows the spare battery bank idea to heck, doesn't it?!!

Comment

• LonesomeGeorge
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Mike90250
                            Your PV panels will be the biggest target, and the hardest to defend.

A shed or garage, with skylights like a greenhouse, will be the better way. Trying to grow enough veggies to live on without sunlight will be difficult. I'm sure someone is selling a kit, but all the losses involved, batteries, inverters, you are better off with skylights or a conventional greenhouse without the difficult to protect PV. IMHO
                            Security of the panels would be a major issue, I agree. But isn't food above ground in a greenhouse just as vulnerable? Is it possible to camouflage or even position the panels out of reach up high? I'm imagining a type of situation where bunker living would be the norm. Hiding would be essential. I have to believe that there are some people who are planning on growing veggies/fruits underground in their bunkers.

I appreciate everyone's input.. Thank you!

Comment

• russ
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jul 2009

The real answer is no - 1) Forget the organic concept - you are feeding the plants with chemicals 2) the two lamps won't do anything of use except on you tube - there they made feed an entire city - the tube lamps have to be directly over the plants 3) the battery bank for a small greenhouse would be quite large 4) the survival scenarios are for loonies
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...