Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best design for an off grid DC pump system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best design for an off grid DC pump system?

I've been reading a few threads and understand that minimizing your draw is essential. I've read about different types of panels, controllers and battery bank sizes and spec's for different purposes. Too a layman like me there's a lot of variables and calculations that would take me a long time to sort out with a large possibility of getting it wrong in the end! I'd certainly appreciate any suggestions that you pro's could give me! Even if it comes out that it can't be done, it would save me a great amount of time and money!

I'd like to build a solar/battery powered well pump set up to pump water up 140' (6" well casing) and laterally 100'. I saw a 48v deep well pump advertised. I figured I could install the pump above the 240v deep well pump and operate it if the grid dies. The well house is big enough to accommodate a fairly good size bank of batteries and related equipment. The DC pump would only be used sparingly in an emergency situation.. not expecting to fill the pool with this setup. Drinking water and a very short shower (heated by a portable propane shower heater unit) would be the goal.

I live in Central NY where the sun does shine from time to time.. but not every day! I also thought about hooking a truck alternator up to a stationary bike and peddling my a$$ off to recharge on the darker days..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! LG..

Originally posted by LonesomeGeorge View Post
    I also thought about hooking a truck alternator up to a stationary bike and peddling my a$$ off to recharge on the darker days..

You can search and learn the amount of power you generate from a exercise machine of any type - next to nothing and less than you put in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I figured I could install the pump above the 240v deep well pump and operate it if the grid dies.
      Your plan sounds feasible, but NOT cost effective. Have you considered running a generator to pump water when the grid is down?

--mapmaker
      ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

I feel a better plan would be to run the pump solar direct and use it to fill a cistern next to the house. Then use gravity feed to supply the house or a second smaller pump. This way the cistern acts as your supply to cover cloudy days and doesn't require a large battery bank that would go bad. Build it solar has some examples on there site.

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...terpumping.htm

I like this example of a do it yourself system.

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_waterpumping.html

Comment

....... well pump set up to pump water up 140' (6" well casing) and laterally 100'. I saw a 48v deep well pump advertised. I figured I could install the pump above the 240v deep well pump and operate it if the grid dies.......

What is the water level in your well? A suction pump can only pull water up about 22 feet. it's easy to push water.

if your well is 160' with a water level at 70', a surface suction pump is not going to work.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
            What is the water level in your well? A suction pump can only pull water up about 22 feet. it's easy to push water.

if your well is 160' with a water level at 70', a surface suction pump is not going to work.
            I think that the OP is referring to putting the smaller diameter DC pump inside the well casing just above the AC pump, not putting a suction pump at the top of the well when he says "above the 240v deep well pump."
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

I'd like to build a solar/battery powered well pump set up to pump water up 140' (6" well casing) and laterally 100'. I saw a 48v deep well pump advertised. I figured I could install the pump above the 240v deep well pump and operate it if the grid dies. The well house is big enough to accommodate a fairly good size bank of batteries and related equipment. The DC pump would only be used sparingly in an emergency situation.. not expecting to fill the pool with this setup. Drinking water and a very short shower (heated by a portable propane shower heater unit) would be the goal.

I live in Central NY where the sun does shine from time to time.. but not every day! I also thought about hooking a truck alternator up to a stationary bike and peddling my a$$ off to recharge on the darker days..
              Well another option would be to go with a battery backup grid tied system. NY has pretty good incentives so you might be able to do one without too much cost and get other backup power. My system is designed for this. I use 3kW of Canadian solar panels, an Outback Flexpower 1, and an Outback PSX-240 step up transformer for the well pump.
              Advantages :
              • you wouldn't have to have/maintain two pumps
              • would have backup power for lights, fridge.
              • can get tax incentives
              • can reduce electric bill with net metering.

just another option to consider.
              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
                just another option to consider.
                One very well worthwhile considering!
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

If your goal here is just to provide a backup means of supplying the home with water, and you already have power at the well site, you don't even NEED solar. Just a battery backup system and use the already installed well pump.

Comment

Working...
                  X