Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dakotaslim
    • Apr 2014

two grid-tie inverters and how they interact with each other

I have a 1000 watt solar setup now. We have lots of wind so I'm wanting to add a wind generator with a 500 watt inverter. But, if I put 2 grid-tie inverters on the same circuit, with they interact badly? I don't want the anti-islanding to be compromised nor do I want them to damage each other. One is 20' from the house and the other will be about 200' away from it. Any thoughts or warnings about it?
  • Shockah
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Dakotaslim
    I have a 1000 watt solar setup now. We have lots of wind so I'm wanting to add a wind generator with a 500 watt inverter. But, if I put 2 grid-tie inverters on the same circuit, with they interact badly? I don't want the anti-islanding to be compromised nor do I want them to damage each other. One is 20' from the house and the other will be about 200' away from it. Any thoughts or warnings about it?
    Have you asked your Power Company?

Multiple Micro-Inverters are used without compromise to anti-islanding...

You've given no details on your 2 GT inverters... I'm guessing their quality would help answer your question.
    [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Provide details on the inverters that the guys can help you.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• billvon
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2012

I have a 1000 watt solar setup now. We have lots of wind so I'm wanting to add a wind generator with a 500 watt inverter. But, if I put 2 grid-tie inverters on the same circuit, with they interact badly?
        It is common to put many microinverters on the same circuit. Whether this will work for you depends on what equipment you are using, how your system is wired etc. In general inverters designed to meet UL 1741 / IEEE 1547, and installed correctly, will not "interact badly" with each other - they are designed to operate on grids with (potentially) multiple inverters.

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Originally posted by billvon
          It is common to put many microinverters on the same circuit. Whether this will work for you depends on what equipment you are using, how your system is wired etc. In general inverters designed to meet UL 1741 / IEEE 1547, and installed correctly, will not "interact badly" with each other - they are designed to operate on grids with (potentially) multiple inverters.
          Also, a properly sized connection to the power grid will have such a low impedance (high "stiffness") that there is little chance of the microinverters interacting with each other. They just independently interact with the grid which effectively synchronizes them.

If you have a very small wire in any GTI inverter to grid connection, the voltage at the inverter terminals will rise and you will waste power.
          But a resistance beyond some point will also trigger the anti-islanding circuitry.
          A wire connection to grid which is just good enough to satisfy the anti-islanding algorithm could still be high enough resistance to allow for some interaction among the microinverters or string inverters, but it seems very unlikely, and only in connection with a poor installation.

I would be sure to size the 200' run of wire large enough to keep the voltage drop (voltage rise when the GTI is running) below 3%, and lower than that if practical.
          Consider using aluminum wire (with proper terminations on both ends and NO-OX-ID type antioxidant grease) to keep the cost down. Sunking swears by that product.
          Last edited by inetdog; 04-25-2014, 06:31 PM.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• s2man
            • Sep 2013

Were I to add a second GTI, I would put it on the other leg of my 220V feed. No scientific reason, just my gut feeling about keeping things balanced.

Comment

• Dakotaslim
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Shockah
              Have you asked your Power Company?

Multiple Micro-Inverters are used without compromise to anti-islanding...

You've given no details on your 2 GT inverters... I'm guessing their quality would help answer your question.
              2 Power Jack inverters. I know they are not the best quality but i haven't had any problems for the first year of operation.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

2 Power Jack inverters. I know they are not the best quality but i haven't had any problems for the first year of operation.
                Power Jack inverters? You mean the ones that are illegal to connect to the grid? The ones that can get your homeowners insurance cancelled in the event of a claim? The ones that are built to no standards at all?

Bad idea!
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Shockah
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Nov 2013

That's the answer I silently predicted...

NOT GOOD, as Russ stated above.

So to answer your original questions:
                  Yes, they will interact badly, and damage each other.
                  Anti-Islanding will be compromised.
                  Thoughts or warnings:
                  You are putting your property at risk of fire damage,
                  and the lives of line-men and neighbors at risk of injury or death.
                  [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...