X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a Solar Panel Battery Regulator

Hi Everyone,
    Hope someone can advise.
    I have 5 55gln drums which I catch rain water in to water my garden and fill a fish pond.
    The problem is that some of the drums are a fair distance from the place I wish to use the water, and in one case, is slightly uphill.
    I was thinking I could use a 12V 15W DC pump like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/230941130611...84.m1423.l2649
    powered by a 12V 15W panel like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/271436895830...84.m1423.l2649
    I would use a piece of hose to run from the drum to the intake of the pump, then screw on the garden hose (need an adaptor to go from the 1/2" pipe thread to 3/4" hose thread) on the output of the pump.
    and a simple on/off lamp switch between the panel and pump.
    Then I would have a light weight portable pumping system to use on which ever drum I wanted.
    The pump would not likely run more than 30mins at a time.
    Would I need include a Battery Regulator?

Mostlikely you will need a battery and a charge controller.

Some pumps can be ran solar direct. Not sure if that one can or not. If you want to try you will need a larger panel. While both may be rated at 15w the pump will have a startup surge. One also needs to look at the amp rating of both. The amp rating of the panel needs to be higher than the startaup amp rating of the pump (which will be 2 to 3 times it's running rating).

Comment

the pump specs say:
      * Minimum Start-Up Voltage : 6V
      * Maximum PV Panel Output Power : 15 Watts
      The Panel specs are:
      Operating Voltage (Vmp): 17.5V
      Operating Current (Imp): 0.83A
      Open Circuit Voltage (Voc): 22.0V

Which doesn't mean a lot to me.
      If I wanted to run that pump without a Regulator, what panel would you suggest?

Comment

By those specs you should be able to run with the 15w panel. Without a battery the Charge controller (what you're calling a regulator) would shut down the system as it needs battery voltage to work (how it determines if the battery is charged).

I would be leary of the claim on that pump though. I did look at it. 12 watts to pump 12 liters per minute? and a startup of only 2 watts? 12 liters would be about 3.5 gallons. Don't sound like enough power to me. The 12v shurflo in my camper is about that volume and takes about 50 watts to run.

Comment

Ok, so what you're saying is I could use that panel and pump without a charge controller based on the specs they have published?

Comment

yep

Comment

Thanks.
              Will take the chance that the specs are correct. Figure for that price, I can't go to wrong.

Comment

Let me know how it works out. I,ve been considering putting together a small outfit for my rain barrels.

Comment

Will do.

Comment

Working...
                  X