No announcement yet.

Addin the Sola rportion to my Off grid System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure The Tracer 4210 is 12-24 volts 40amps MPPT charge controller sale for 209.99 on amazon and with the meter is 250 us dollars. with off grid I strongly advice you to get one of those expensive CC ASAP as they have features you need to charge the batteries properly.

Cheers.

Comment

known good, mid size MPPT controllers:
      Midnight Solar KID
      Rogue Power
      Morningstar MPPT 45 (no meters included)

Rogue, Morningstar, Midnight, Xantrex, Steca, Blue Sky and Outback, all make reliable models of varied capacity and input voltages.

Beware of re-badged, un-certified imports that merely have a label saying MPPT.

So you can price these out, price out panels and come up with what works for you

Rogue http://roguepowertech.com/products/controllers.htm
      Midnight Kid http://www.midnitesolar.com/
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I just checked a company in Miami is selling the Outback FM 80 for $530 online. which is a 80 amps MPPT charge controller. I think you should just cut other expenses and get this one.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by paulcheung View Post
          I just checked a company in Miami is selling the Outback FM 80 for $530 online. which is a 80 amps MPPT charge controller. I think you should just cut other expenses and get this one.

Cheers
          I agree with this. You can pay now or pay latter. At 800 AMP hours +, you are not in the cheap/budget game anymore. I think you have to step up to the next level. Think of how much it will cost to replace your 800 amps of batteries if the cheap CC craps out on you. It might be worth the extra $300 now.

Comment

Originally posted by giles117 View Post
            Ok, I'll bite...

Where in Alabama that doesn't include Montgomery 215 miles away, Birmingham, 325 miles away or huntsville 365 miles away can I get grid tied panels??? Even in the panhandle of (Pensacola) florida (135 to 150 miles away) there aren't any "local" suppliers I am aware of.

Again, for me, the issue is SHIPPING COST..

Prices are all gravy until I check the SHIPPING costs and this great $400 system all of a sudden costs me $675.00

For that $400 to $500 you shared I can buy a 300 watt PWM system and have it delivered to my front gate.... SAVING ME $175 to $250 in shipping costs...
            The SPONSOR of this site sells GTI panels fo 73-cents a Watt. You need to shop around and do your own work.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              The SPONSOR of this site sells GTI panels fo 73-cents a Watt. You need to shop around and do your own work.
              The sponsor of this site quoted me $230 for shipping.

I have shopped around. FOR TWO YEARS. I just thought I'd ask others about an MPPT Controller before I pulled the lever and started buying panels this weekend. But Thanks for your LACK of help...
              Off-Grid in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by paulcheung View Post

Cheers
                I wish it was that easy. I am in the middle of constructing my House and our Business workshop on our property. I would love to put those projects on hold and just shove money into other ventures, but that just isnt feasible at this juncture. I know how much I am willing to SPEND (not set aside for later spending) each week to get the various aspects of this construction done.

At this stage of the game we need to transition away from Petrol and go Solar. The upfront expenditure will be offset by the lack of need to purchase fuel every week to run things. That way when things slow down, as NORMAL BUSINESSES EXPERIENCE, we don't have to juggle expenses to make sure we can have lights that week.

But I do see where you are coming from. If the situation was ONE SIZE FITS ALL, I could go with that, but as it stands, we are NOT in position to purchase a $500+ charge controller. No matter how much juggling of the finances I do.

Getting these buildings built is WAY more important than getting the super duper deluxe solar rig as once they are built, they will Open the door for greater revenues sooner than later....

II'll check the tracer. Are they reputable? Is this chinese product repackaged? Is it TRUE MPPT?

Comment

Originally posted by mschulz View Post
                  I agree with this. You can pay now or pay latter. At 800 AMP hours +, you are not in the cheap/budget game anymore. I think you have to step up to the next level. Think of how much it will cost to replace your 800 amps of batteries if the cheap CC craps out on you. It might be worth the extra $300 now.
                  Which is why after 2 months of IN DEPTH searching and investigating MPPT controllers I pulled the plug and bought a TriStar TS-60 PWM. on a super sale of $140.00 New In Box.

It all is a wash anyway. No way I'll be buying any GTI solar panels anytime soon. The shipping is cost prohibitive for me at this time. If my house was built and I had no other high flow expenditures, I would look into taking a trip to atlanta to do a show and pick up 8-12 panels... Letting the show offset my travel and lodging costs....

I think I will stick with my original plan. Go PWM, Grab some panels at $1.16/watt delivered to my Gate, get off petrol. Then upgrade to a Midnite Solar Classic 150 in Late July after this house and Shop are completed. I can always series/parallel the 12v panels and upgrade to a 24v system as planned later this year.

For the small cost of $150 today I will be petrol free next week. And that is a cost and a headache I need to get rid of.

Or I can wait till I am in position to do it as many have suggested and not get off petrol until Mid June...

Comment

The sponsor of this site quoted me $230 for shipping...
                    In that two years you never left home?
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                      In that two years you never left home?
                      In 2 years I got rid of my previous property, moved to Mid-Georgia to work for 6 months, Went to Detroit for a mini road tour, Went to Atlanta for 6 months to work then returned to Alabama 9 months ago to purchase a nicer piece of dirt and build what I planned to build...

Plans get put on hold when life happens...

Comment

I think I will stick with my original plan. Go PWM, Grab some panels at $1.16/watt delivered to my Gate, get off petrol. Then upgrade to a Midnite Solar Classic 150 in Late July after this house and Shop are completed. I can always series/parallel the 12v panels and upgrade to a 24v system as planned later this year.
                        "IF" the the above plan will provide enough energy to keep you off Petrol,
                        then yes, it is the most viable plan being you already bought a PWM.

Then, after you've banked enough from not buying petrol, go buy a GOOD MPPT.

I believe the intent of this thread was to find any suggestions for an inexpensive, decent quality MPPT controller.
                        If you read between the lines here, the reality will smack you in the back of the head... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Charge Controllers are sold in a competitive market, the only way you're gonna find a cheap MPPT is buy junk...
                        or hunt ebay and craigslist for a 2nd-hand bargain.

If you want a $500 CC with a $200 budget, it ain't gonna happen.
                        [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

II'll check the tracer. Are they reputable? Is this chinese product repackaged? Is it TRUE MPPT?
                          The Tracer 4210 is a decent MPPT charge controller, it is not a junk, but as for all the low middle end equipment, it lack the crucial features that we needed for off grid battery maintenance.

Cheers

Comment

Tristar TS-60 PWM is here and connected and tested. Just waiting on my panels.

Originally posted by Shockah View Post
                            "IF" the the above plan will provide enough energy to keep you off Petrol,
                            then yes, it is the most viable plan being you already bought a PWM.

Then, after you've banked enough from not buying petrol, go buy a GOOD MPPT.

I believe the intent of this thread was to find any suggestions for an inexpensive, decent quality MPPT controller.
                            If you read between the lines here, the reality will smack you in the back of the head... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Charge Controllers are sold in a competitive market, the only way you're gonna find a cheap MPPT is buy junk...
                            or hunt ebay and craigslist for a 2nd-hand bargain.

If you want a $500 CC with a $200 budget, it ain't gonna happen.
                            Not one for reading between the lines, I already had my answer, I just decided to check with others more knowledgable to see if there was something I overlooked....

My Plan IS to upgrade CC at a later date. As noted, July (or august). Which depends upon sales.

Getting off the $150 a month Petrol Diet is PARAMOUNT. 2 Months (may/June) and I will have saved $300 in weekly expenses which will justify me buying a Midnite Solar Classic 150.

Plus I should be done building the house. We are 3 walls away from buidling the roof for this sucker.. The Soap Shop should be walled and roofed in about 3 weeks. That will free up cash to focus on th Solar rig I WANT.

a 5Kw rig with battery backup for 5 days. That’s my end game. With freed up cash I can buy a pallet of panels, but for the IMMEDIATE NOW, I need to get off this petrol habit. It is killing productivity to have to live off a 1400 Watt generator. Had I gone with a 3500w gennie, My Petrol habit would easily be $300-$400/month... That kind of bleed MUST STOP...

Ordered 2- 156 watt panels which should be here next week. Thanks for the help for those who answered my question. Sometimes one needs to hear the arguments of thers to solidfy ones decision.

Plus I only paid $140+ shipping for that PWM CC. If I chose to sell it vs. keeping it as a backup, I could easily sell it for about what I paid for it.

I'll close with this.

When raising our 9 children we used to tell them this all the time. "We (The Parents) NEVER ask a question we dont ALREADY have the answer too."

Comment

giles117 is just a self-serving guy with too much time on his hands?

You need not answer that, for I am a parent too...

<unsubscribed>
                              [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

Then since he knows it all he won't be bothering you guys any more.
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                                X