No announcement yet.

Going camping and using solar for 1st time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok yeah. Thanks. I think I'm gonna spend the extra $50 and go with the sealed. One more question and I promise I'll leave you guys alone. Well actually two. When I do get my panel in, the fuses I need, how exactly do they hook on the wire? Are they special fuses? And the charge controller I am getting, how exactly does it hook up to the panel? I saw schematic but I could t see the type of wire used. Also, what's the thing that blocks reverse flow if the panel isn't producing enough charge?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BCT...pi=SL500_SS115

Comment

Originally posted by Ogbassist View Post
      Ok yeah. Thanks. I think I'm gonna spend the extra $50 and go with the sealed. One more question and I promise I'll leave you guys alone. Well actually two. When I do get my panel in, the fuses I need, how exactly do they hook on the wire? Are they special fuses? And the charge controller I am getting, how exactly does it hook up to the panel? I saw schematic but I could t see the type of wire used. Also, what's the thing that blocks reverse flow if the panel isn't producing enough charge?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BCT...pi=SL500_SS115
      Same one can be had from amazon.com for $29.99...
      [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

If you did not order you battery yet. I think this battery is enough for your fan run 24 hours per day.
        http://www.amazon.com/UPG-D5722-Seal...del%23+UB12350

Comment

Originally posted by paulcheung View Post
          If you did not order you battery yet. I think this battery is enough for your fan run 24 hours per day.
          http://www.amazon.com/UPG-D5722-Seal...del%23+UB12350
          I would not advise using that small battery to run the fan 24 hours a day, even on low setting.

35ah*12v = 420wh
          /5 = Daily usable from that battery is 84wh.
          What you are suggesting is he use is 180wh on low speed or 360wh on high speed.
          That is 43% - 86% of the battery's capacity.

Following the 20% rule of thumb:
          420wh/5 = 84wh
          84wh/7.5watts (low setting) = 11.2hours
          84wh/15watts (high setting) = 5.6hours

... and let's not forget the limits of his 100w panel

Comment

Those are AGM style sealed batteries, He can safely drain them to 50% DOD per day and he is only go for 4 days. what is he going to do with expensive large batteries when he comes home?

Comment

Originally posted by paulcheung View Post
              Those are AGM style sealed batteries, He can safely drain them to 50% DOD per day and he is only go for 4 days. what is he going to do with expensive large batteries when he comes home?
              He can't use the fan, panel, cc & battery at home?

However, pardon me...
              I did not read where the OP said he is looking for a 1-time-use / disposable battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockah View Post
                He can't use the fan, panel, cc & battery at home?

However, pardon me...
                I did not read where the OP said he is looking for a 1-time-use / disposable battery.
                You are correct, I didn't mention how often I would use it. I will use it as much as possible. Crawfish boils, parties, camping. Whenever I get a chance to use it, I will. I already bought the 75aH battery. I have a few more questions if you guys don't mind. You all have been a huge help. For 4 days, will it really matter if I drain the battery all the way, or below 50%? I ask this because I bought a good fan, those other ones I bought that I mentioned earlier that were like 7.5watts on low and 15 watts on high... its freaking tiny fan! I got an inverter, I HAVE THE RECEIPT! http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310882466517?lpid=82
                The fan I bought is 120v 60hz 1.36 amps 165 watts. this fan uses way too much power huh? it would run for like 5 hours before the battery died?

I tested it out, it works fine, but I just don't know how long it will last. I still don't fully understand the formula. While I have your attention, what type of fuses should I put on the solar panel wire when it comes in? Maybe provide a link so I know what i'm looking for. Thank you!

So I just found a conversion site.... lol this fan is way too large. It comes out to 15 amps on a DC current? In regards to what paul said above, this site also said agm can be safely discharged to 50%... but using this fan, 50% occurs in 2 hours.

Reguarding
                ... and let's not forget the limits of his 100w panel
                whats wrong with my panel?

Comment

Replies in red.

You are correct, I didn't mention how often I would use it. I will use it as much as possible. Crawfish boils, parties, camping. Whenever I get a chance to use it, I will. I already bought the 75aH battery. I have a few more questions if you guys don't mind. You all have been a huge help. For 4 days, will it really matter if I drain the battery all the way, or below 50%? Yes, it matters. In simple terminology, every time you drain the battery below 50%, it causes a bit of internal damage and shortens the battery life by lowering the amount of charge/discharge cycles.
                  I ask this because I bought a good fan, those other ones I bought that I mentioned earlier that were like 7.5watts on low and 15 watts on high... its freaking tiny fan! I got an inverter, I HAVE THE RECEIPT! http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310882466517?lpid=82 oh boy.
                  The fan I bought is 120v 60hz 1.36 amps 165 watts. Sigh.
                  this fan uses way too much power huh? YES!
                  it would run for like 5 hours before the battery died? It might run 5 hours before the battery gets to 10.5volts, aka death. But there is this thing called Peukert's Law... your battery is rated 75ah at a 20 hour rate = 45watts per hour.
                  @ 165watts per hour, your battery is no longer a 75ah battery... much less than.

I tested it out, it works fine, but I just don't know how long it will last. I still don't fully understand the formula. Obviously.
                  While I have your attention, what type of fuses should I put on the solar panel wire when it comes in? Maybe provide a link so I know what i'm looking for. Thank you! You're not ready for that yet.

So I just found a conversion site.... lol this fan is way too large. It comes out to 15 amps on a DC current? 165watts/12volts=13.75amps... Don't forget to add the loss from the inverter. With an inverter, figure it will take 198watts to run that 165watt fan.
                  In regards to what paul said above, this site also said agm can be safely discharged to 50%... but using this fan, 50% occurs in 2 hours. You can run it for 2 hours (330wh) today... but your panel will only replenish 200wh. Meaning your battery will not be fully charged tomorrow and you will not be able to run it for 2hours. By the 3rd or 4th day you will be jumping naked into the moss-pit to cool down.

Reguarding whats wrong with my panel? Nothing is wrong with it, but it does have it's limitations. With a sun insolation of 4hours, your PWM type CC, and the panel tilted south, your panel is LIMITED to produce/replenish 200wh. That's 1.21 hours of that 165watt fan.

Comment

Ok thanks. You've been a big help. I'll return the fan. Should I keep the inverter? Or is the one I bought a waste of money? I'll just go with the small DC fans I got. Last question I promise. The fuses? Which ones to buy and how to install them?

I tested it out, it works fine, but I just don't know how long it will last. I still don't fully understand the formula. Obviously.
                    Sorry if I annoyed you...

Comment

I still sees the solar panel 'walkin' at a big happinin.

Best to bring in the American Marines - as in a Group 34M Battery that might fit
                      right into your ride (if need be) for $195.49 US.
                      3 year free-ride replacement warranty.

It's fairly close to that Group 24 of yours but can take about 500 discharges
                      down to zero before losing 20% of capacity (or something like that).

Their car batteries claim around 350 total discharges.

Use your ride to charge it up but for 4 days of running (2) DC Oscillating Clip-on Fans
                      at 10 Watts, 0.8 Amp Hours each
                      for say 7 hours per night
                      the badhammer should be able to handle it.

Unless you plans to Lay all day

The Fans are cheap at Walmart right now but do not have the Hi / Low switch anymore
                      and according to my man on YouTube are not as quiet as my old DC fans are.
                      The devils.

34M Marine / Deep Cycle Hybrid Battery

Fairly similar Post set-up as your group 24.

53 Lbs.
                      68 Amp Hours
                      880 Cold Cranking Amps
                      RC 135 minutes

36 Months free replacement - all you can dish out.

Winch snappin torque along with the deep cycle.

As of 2 or 3 years ago they were Legendary - I know for sure.

However a person never knows these days when a product might nose dive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN33XBK6b7k

Same battery - Lot less party dollars.

http://www.diehard.com/torture-labs?...hd_nav_torture

Why settle for Less?

Bill Blake

Comment

Ok thanks. You've been a big help. I'll return the fan. Should I keep the inverter? Or is the one I bought a waste of money? I'll just go with the small DC fans I got. Last question I promise. The fuses? Which ones to buy and how to install them?
                        Yes. Return the fan.
                        ... and that inverter you have is a ModifiedSineWave inverter... not all devices like MSW, even some fan motors.
                        ... and you won't need any inverter or the loss of efficiency and risk of failure that comes with them if you use a DC fan.

DC Fan = No Inverter.
                        Best for your situation.

Sorry if I annoyed you...
                        I'm not annoyed... I just wanted to reel you back in

As for fuses, just typical ATC automotive fuses will suffice.
                        In your temporary/mobile situation, use snug female blade connectors like the ones pictured below,
                        or purchase manufactured fuse holders... the choice is yours.
                        0212041425.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sundetective View Post
                          I still sees the solar panel 'walkin' at a big happinin.

Best to bring in the American Marines - as in a Group 34M Battery that might fit
                          right into your ride (if need be) for $195.49 US.
                          3 year free-ride replacement warranty.

It's fairly close to that Group 24 of yours but can take about 500 discharges
                          down to zero before losing 20% of capacity (or something like that).

Their car batteries claim around 350 total discharges.

Use your ride to charge it up but for 4 days of running (2) DC Oscillating Clip-on Fans
                          at 10 Watts, 0.8 Amp Hours each
                          for say 7 hours per night
                          the badhammer should be able to handle it.

Unless you plans to Lay all day

The Fans are cheap at Walmart right now but do not have the Hi / Low switch anymore
                          and according to my man on YouTube are not as quiet as my old DC fans are.
                          The devils.

34M Marine / Deep Cycle Hybrid Battery

Fairly similar Post set-up as your group 24.

53 Lbs.
                          68 Amp Hours
                          880 Cold Cranking Amps
                          RC 135 minutes

36 Months free replacement - all you can dish out.

Winch snappin torque along with the deep cycle.

As of 2 or 3 years ago they were Legendary - I know for sure.

However a person never knows these days when a product might nose dive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN33XBK6b7k

Same battery - Lot less party dollars.

http://www.diehard.com/torture-labs?...hd_nav_torture

Why settle for Less?

Bill Blake

The Local Battery Man says this morning that the Group 24F and a Group 34 Battery are the same
                          size except for a little height difference.

He has a cheap plastic adapter that snaps on the bottom of the Group 34 which makes it into a Group 24.
                          Old Bills price is 0 dollars.

Learn something new every day

His battery price for the 'Modern Marvel' (See 1st Link),
                          King of AGM Batteries,
                          is $154 higher (List)
                          than where I buy.
                          Same battery.

It has a different name plate and comes with 48 months free replacement instead of the 36 months.

The 1 year warranty battery from China for $150 doesn't do anything for me.

So at $195.49 we have 'both massive starting power and amazing deep cycling capability'.

Your ride is your Charger - (when need be).

It IS your ride battery - when need be.

3100 Amps of Short Circuit Current - when need be.

Many other bigtime AGM manufacturers are in awe of the unit.
                          Like some Exec's at Lifeline Batteries.

Can I get a witness?

For 2 times $11.97 at Walmart (Fans) plus the Marine / Hybrid Group 34M Battery
                          we come full circle to the hot set-up.

Bill Blake

Comment

The fan I bought is 120v 60hz 1.36 amps 165 watts. this fan uses way too much power huh? it would run for like 5 hours before the battery died?
                            Can you get a regular standing fan from Walmart or Target? The one from China? I have 3 fans at home, they are from China and all of them are only 38 to 50 watts 3 speeds. If you get 230 amps AGM 12volt, You can safely run through the night with a small 300watts inverter. and use the car to help to charge the battery.
                            One like this

http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-1850-18-...s=standing+fan
                            Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                            X