X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • confused
    • Jul 2012

Blown Inverter, expert help requested

Hello fellow off-griders,

I managed through a fit of distraction to plug a 6Kva generator into a house socket without disconnecting my Berel electronics 24v 60A EC3000 inverter.
    The fuse on the inverters positive battery connection blew instantly. Having disconnected the generator and (yes) foolishly wired across the blown fuse, as I didn't have a replacement at hand, I turned the inverter back on and this time blew the fuse on the negative battery connection. Having finally found replacement fuses, not an easy thing in the boonies of Spain, they blew as well.
    I did request help from Berel (a German company) but received no reply, maybe they don't speak English.
    So the question to anyone technically minded or indeed qualified as an electrical engineer is, what is the most probable damage that I caused?
    I had to replace the inverter, as the house is off grid but I am keen to repair the blown inverter to act as a stand-by just in case.
    If I haven't provided enough information, I'll be more than pleased to provide whatever I can.
    Yours hopefully
    Confused
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Take it from an engineer, you need a new inverter. You backfed the inverter from the genny which destoyed it. Th egenny is not synced to th einverter and there was a huge difference in potential which shorted out the final output FET's inside the inverter. Don't do that again.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• confused
      • Jul 2012

Thanks for the prompt reply Sunking.
      Don't do that again. Indeed! A massively expensive loss of concentration.
      I take it from the tone of your reply, that the blown inverter is not repairable or not worth repairing.

Regards
      Confused

Originally posted by Sunking
      Take it from an engineer, you need a new inverter. You backfed the inverter from the genny which destoyed it. Th egenny is not synced to th einverter and there was a huge difference in potential which shorted out the final output FET's inside the inverter. Don't do that again.

Comment

• Robert1234
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2012

You've probably blown some mosefts, but that may be only the starting point. If you had the schematics, you may be able to get an electronics shop to repair it for you but they'll probably charge you $50 or so just to diagnose it. May be best to just scrap it.

They do make inverters that you can pass a genny output through so the inverter goes off-line by itself when the genny starts. Might be a good thing to look at. Forgetting to unhook the inverter will probably happen again.

Comment

• paulcheung
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2013

You need to get one inverter that can connect the generator to it, so you won't have any trouble in the future. Look for the one that has an AC charger build in which the generator can connect to those terminals.

Comment

• confused
            • Jul 2012

Thanks for your replies.
            It appears then that it is an "ex inverter" and not much good for more than scrap, indeed if I "hadn't nailed to the perch" it would be etc etc.
            You are quite correct Robert, not isolating the inverter is very unlikely to happen again, unless I am extremely stupid and or win the lottery.
            It was an expensive lesson learnt the hard way.
            regards
            Confused

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by confused
              Thanks for your replies.
              It appears then that it is an "ex inverter" and not much good for more than scrap,
              Got a boat, you got a new anchor.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• ChrisOlson
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2013

I don't know that I'd totally write that inverter off. It sort of depends on the design of it, if it's a modular unit like all the good quality off-grid inverters are here in the US. If it was a Xantrex SW/XW or Outback FX-series you just get a new FET board for it and you're up and running again. If it's one of them "shoebox" type inverters with everything on one board, then it's a little harder to fix. But I'd open it up and see if the FET's are blown in it. If they are, they're not too hard to solder new ones on the board. I know diddly about electronics and even I fixed the FET board on a Outback VFX-3524 once that had the same thing done to it.
                off-grid in Northern Wisconsin for 14 years

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

But you have to know when to cut your losses. Replace FETS. discover the drivers are blown too. Replace drivers, retune because the drive currents are off between mfg A and Mfg B. Still dead. Replace CPU on logic board. Replace........ and so on......
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• ChrisOlson
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2013

Yeah, but I'd still open it up and take a look. I can see a lightning strike causing major damage. But I'll bet an out-of-phase hit from a generator backfeeding it just blew the FET's. And they're pretty easy to replace in most of 'em.
                    off-grid in Northern Wisconsin for 14 years

Comment

Working...