• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian S
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2011

Green Homes' Energy Efficiency Not Great Selling Point

See here.

But of dozens who have toured the property, only one inquired how a 4,400-square-foot home could have energy bills that top out at $70-$100 in the summer... "The energy efficiency is not a selling point," Fedoruk, a green builder for decades, says on a recent tour of the home. Fedoruk is proud of the savings his energy-efficient features provide. The energy bills in a typical house this size, he says, would easily run $500 to $700 a month.
    IMHO, this attitude will change gradually if somewhat slowly. It would certainly be a factor in any home I would consider.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Ian S
    See here.

IMHO, this attitude will change gradually if somewhat slowly. It would certainly be a factor in any home I would consider.
    I bet people looking at that property mostly but not exclusively fall into 2 general categories: Dreamers and rich people. The dreamers walk around with their eyes and mouths wide open. Energy conservation is not where their head is at. Rich people, it has been my experience, pay lip service to appropriate design as it's sometimes called, but not much else - partly because if you can afford a $2,500-$3,000/mo. mortgage, the importance of saving a claimed $200/mo. or so on utilities takes on a smaller significance. IMO, saving energy is not really anything those (rich) folks worry about - or need to. That house is mostly marketed to people who can afford an expensive dwelling and want bragging rights for being trendy.

To really change attitudes, what may be more appropriate is a 2,000 ft.^2 or so tract house designed to look like a plain jane but w/ passive solar features, solar electric and water for $250K or less, and a $500/yr. elec. bill that Jane & Joe 6 pack can afford. Stuff that has illusions of being in House Beautiful that is only affordable to a few is not helping.

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

I remember back in the 70's during the high gas prices - my boss made the comment that it made no difference to him when he filled up his Caddy - same with homes.

Women have more input than RE does - if the kitchen is great and the baths wonderful then it is sold.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• pleppik
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2014

I think it depends partly on where you live, too. Here in MN, there's definitely a segment of buyers who pay attention to the cost of utilities. Pre-1980's houses which haven't had the insulation updated can cost a fortune to heat in the winter.

The last time I went house-hunting (which was almost 20 years ago), many realtors would include the past year's gas and electricity costs in the information packets they gave to prospective buyers. I don't know if this is still a common practice.
        16x TenK 410W modules + 14x TenK 500W inverters

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by pleppik
          I think it depends partly on where you live, too. Here in MN, there's definitely a segment of buyers who pay attention to the cost of utilities. Pre-1980's houses which haven't had the insulation updated can cost a fortune to heat in the winter.

The last time I went house-hunting (which was almost 20 years ago), many realtors would include the past year's gas and electricity costs in the information packets they gave to prospective buyers. I don't know if this is still a common practice.
          Might depend on price. Probably not as common at $1.4MM price point - High utility bills being less of a concern for high rollers.

Comment

Working...