• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KirkB
    • Apr 2014

24v panel system to charge 12v betters bank

I have the following Mppt charge controller:

MPPT TRACER 3215RN Solar Charge Controller 30A 12V 24V EP

Wondering if I take my panels to a series config for a 24+v system! will the charger then assume it's charge a 24v battery bank? Not real clear in this aspect of charge controllers.

Thanks again, kirk
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by KirkB
    I have the following Mppt charge controller:

MPPT TRACER 3215RN Solar Charge Controller 30A 12V 24V EP

Wondering if I take my panels to a series config for a 24+v system! will the charger then assume it's charge a 24v battery bank? Not real clear in this aspect of charge controllers.

Thanks again, kirk
    Some CCs will sense what the system voltage on the battery side is, because you must connect them to the battery before connecting to the panels. As long as your 24 volt bank is not too close to 14 when you make the connection, the CC should get it right.
    Other CCs require you to set a switch or switches to select the system voltage, plus more switches for the battery type.
    Some CCs, like most inverters, come in single voltage models and you have to order the right one.

An MPPT CC connected to a 12 bank will cheerfully accept panel input from as low as 16 volts all the way up from their to the voltage limit of the input.
    If you had a nominal 12 volt panel or panels in parallel and connected to a 24 volt battery the CC would not work since the DC-DC converter is only capable of dropping the voltage.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

I think I can help you as I am familiar with this controller.

It has Auto Recognition. Connect the battery and it will recognize the voltage. Before connecting the battery check the voltage to ensure it is at least 9 volts. If it is below 9 volts get rid of it as it is DEAD. If th evoltage is greater than 9 and less than 18 the CC will recognize it as a 12 volt battery.

Warning here you must set the option to the proper battery type using the setting menu. Consult the manual for details. If you do not have a maual you can download it here
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• KirkB
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
        I think I can help you as I am familiar with this controller.

It has Auto Recognition. Connect the battery and it will recognize the voltage. Before connecting the battery check the voltage to ensure it is at least 9 volts. If it is below 9 volts get rid of it as it is DEAD. If th evoltage is greater than 9 and less than 18 the CC will recognize it as a 12 volt battery.

Warning here you must set the option to the proper battery type using the setting menu. Consult the manual for details. If you do not have a maual you can download it here
        Thanks for the feedback everyone. Very helpful information.

Comment

Working...