How do i connect bypass diodes to my series/parallel PV panel?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jagrai
    • Apr 2014

How do i connect bypass diodes to my series/parallel PV panel?

I have 20 solar cells of 0.45V at 100mA i have connected the first string in series so this will give 1.8V at 100mA with 5 strings horizontally this total of my PV is 1.8V at 500mA my question is how do i connect bypass diode to this it is a 4x5 panel at 180*130 a diagram will be great thanks
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Welcome but post your question in one thread only - I just removed the second.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• jagrai
      • Apr 2014

sorry about this

sorru about this

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by jagrai
        I have 20 solar cells of 0.45V at 100mA i have connected the first string in series so this will give 1.8V at 100mA with 5 strings horizontally this total of my PV is 1.8V at 500mA my question is how do i connect bypass diode to this it is a 4x5 panel at 180*130 a diagram will be great thanks
        Is this homemade panel going to be part of a series string of panels to get up to some commonly useful voltage?

If so, you should put one bypass diode on each panel, connected to that it will carry current traveling in the forward direction. I.E., when apply an external + voltage to the - terminal of the panel and the corresponding - voltage to the + terminal of the panel, the diode should conduct.

With many cells (or small strings) in parallel, it does not make much sense to try to include bypass diodes any lower than at the full panel level.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• jagrai
          • Apr 2014

PV panel

Originally posted by inetdog
          Is this homemade panel going to be part of a series string of panels to get up to some commonly useful voltage?

If so, you should put one bypass diode on each panel, connected to that it will carry current traveling in the forward direction. I.E., when apply an external + voltage to the - terminal of the panel and the corresponding - voltage to the + terminal of the panel, the diode should conduct.

With many cells (or small strings) in parallel, it does not make much sense to try to include bypass diodes any lower than at the full panel level.
          hi inetdog i am just using it to analyse an I-V by having different parts of shades to see the comparison there for i need to install bypass diodes

Comment

• jagrai
            • Apr 2014

Diagram

please mind the drawing hope you get the right idea this is what i have come up with hope it is right

Comment

• inetdog
              Super Moderator
              • May 2012

please mind the drawing hope you get the right idea this is what i have come up with hope it is right
              I will be happy to look at the drawing if you can figure out how to post it.

Comment

• jagrai
                • Apr 2014

its not letting me lol

Comment

• inetdog
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2012

its not letting me lol
                  Take whatever format file you want to attach and rename it with a .pdf extension, then tell us what it really is so we can read it.

Comment

• jagrai
                    • Apr 2014

Take whatever format file you want to attach and rename it with a .pdf extension, then tell us what it really is so we can read it.
                    i hope im going the right way aboutUntitled 2.pdf this

Comment

• inetdog
                      Super Moderator
                      • May 2012

i hope im going the right way about[ATTACH]4085[/ATTACH] this
                      That worked just fine.
                      The diodes are installed in the correct direction to act as bypass diodes, but since they are each attached across the full four cell stack and are all wired in parallel they will do absolutely nothing at all, and just one would do nothing at all just as well as four.

Bypass diodes are placed across a series string of cells which is in turn connected in series with other cells or strings of cells. The bypass diode allows the other cells in the string to continue to deliver maximum current (but at a reduced voltage) when the bypassed group in shaded or for some reason unable to produce the same full amount of current.

It appears that you do not know a lot about the way solar cells work, so maybe you can learn by going ahead and doing your testing on your 16 cell array without worrying about any effect from the bypass diodes.

Comment

• jagrai
                        • Apr 2014

That worked just fine.
                        The diodes are installed in the correct direction to act as bypass diodes, but since they are each attached across the full four cell stack and are all wired in parallel they will do absolutely nothing at all, and just one would do nothing at all just as well as four.

Bypass diodes are placed across a series string of cells which is in turn connected in series with other cells or strings of cells. The bypass diode allows the other cells in the string to continue to deliver maximum current (but at a reduced voltage) when the bypassed group in shaded or for some reason unable to produce the same full amount of current.

It appears that you do not know a lot about the way solar cells work, so maybe you can learn by going ahead and doing your testing on your 16 cell array without worrying about any effect from the bypass diodes.
                        So basically what you are trying to say is that you can use bypass diodes in series/parallel connected PV panel if im correct

Comment

• jagrai
                          • Apr 2014

So basically what you are trying to say is that you can use bypass diodes in series/parallel connected PV panel if im correct
                          sorry cant*

Comment

• inetdog
                            Super Moderator
                            • May 2012

What I am saying is that, unless you intend to take some of your series parallel panels (that is the units shown in the PDF) and connect them in series with other such panels, the bypass diodes will not do you any good at all. The panels themselves will work just fine, although that might not be the most efficient way to set them up.

Comment

• jagrai
                              • Apr 2014

What I am saying is that, unless you intend to take some of your series parallel panels (that is the units shown in the PDF) and connect them in series with other such panels, the bypass diodes will not do you any good at all. The panels themselves will work just fine, although that might not be the most efficient way to set them up.
                              can bypass diodes work in parallel connected PV panels

Comment

Working...