X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratching my head, please help!!!!!!

Hi guy's

This is my problem:

I have an outback 80amp flexmax charge controller and a sterling 3000watt sine wave inverter.

I have had the inverter for about 2 months and it constantly cuts out during the day but works perfectly during the night. At first I thought it must be due to the ambient temperature during the day so added an additional fan but still the problem persisted.

I have just realised that once the controller has gone into snooze mode (the sun has gone down) the inverter will run perfectly.

Any ideas on how to rectify the problem? it's driving me crazy!!

Cheer's
    Paul

Originally posted by pablospain View Post
    I have had the inverter for about 2 months and it constantly cuts out during the day but works perfectly during the night.
    Just guessing: During the day your battery voltage is spiking above what your inverter can handle. There are many reasons this could be. I need a LOT of details to make a diagnosis. One of the many things that could cause it is a battery bank too small (or too old/sulfated) to buffer the high voltages that the controller may produce during its sweeps.

Please provide more system details.

--mapmaker
    ob 3524, FM60, ePanel, 4 L16, 4 x 235 watt panels

Comment

3000 watts is a big inverter.
      Regardless, it has an over-voltage cut-off.

What are the specs of the rest of system?

Where is the inverter wired in? Battery Terminals? Charge Controller?

If your system is sized and wired properly, my guess would be the CC is overcharging the batteries.

Check your battery/inverter input voltage while in charge mode.
      [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

The charging bulk/absorb voltage on the FM80 maybe set too high. You can try set the voltage on the charge controller little lower to see what happen.

Comment

here's my guess:

CC is wired to the inverter, and then the batteries? Causing a slightly high voltage from excess cable resistance, and inverter shuts off.

But the inverter getting disabled when batteries are charging is the major clue to high voltage disconnect being activated on the inverter
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
            But the inverter getting disabled when batteries are charging is the major clue to high voltage disconnect being activated on the inverter
            That can be a major annoyance when using a Equalization voltage on FLA or just doing normal charging with non-standard chemistries. (As Mike is familiar with.)

But having the wiring wrong in the CC/battery/inverter connection is a common mistake.
            Also watch out for temperature compensation on the CC voltage with a bad temp sensor.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Your inverter is tripping off-line on over voltage the charge controller is generating. Only real way to fix it without damaging battery is a new appropriate sized inverter. Your is way too large.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
              X