About to jump in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
    Not only Cali electric rates are triple his, but local incentives are much higher like the electric company paying up around $2/watt for the installation cost.
    Depending on usage, the rates may be 3X those in MT, but at current SDG & E rates which are similar to those of the other 2 big POCOs, blended rates are something like $.19/kWhr. for 6,000 kWhrs. /yr., $.28/kWhr. for 12,000 kWhrs./yr. and $.32 for 18,000 kWhrs./yr. So, 3X is a close # for large usage. FWIW, those #'s may well change w/tier flattening - time will tell.

I haven't heard about $2/Watt current incentives from any CA utility. The CSI incentive stopped at $.20/Watt Max. Some smaller utilities had programs similar to the CSI. Those, like the CSI started at over $2/Watt, and tapered off to extinction like the CSI program. I believe most of them are either expired or about to expire. L.A Dept. of Water & Power is trying to implement a FIT and not doing well for at implementation for a number of reasons - causes look mostly like turf wars and power struggles for the most part. Those rates look to be something like $.04 to $.13/W after all the bribes & junk knot comparisons are complete. Other utilities are considering FIT's in a similar way.

I try to stay informed about CA incentives, but I'd be lying if I claimed to have all the latest poop. There may be some smaller utilities offering $2/Watt, but I haven't seen/heard/read of any, and some smaller POCOs may have FITs planned or already in place. I'd sure like any information you can point me to.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Not only Cali electric rates are triple his, but local incentives are much higher like the electric company paying up around $2/watt for the installation cost.
      WOW! I can only wish.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnybean View Post
        WOW! I can only wish.
        Well, there may have been some incentives like that in the past but nothing like that appears to be available in Cali today. Certainly not among the major utilities.

Comment

Well, we did it. The installer came over yesterday and we signed the contract. After gathering a ton of info from you all we switched some things from the initial estimate. We swapped out the REC panels for Suniva panels and the Fronius inverter for a Power One TL inverter. This upped the overall cost by about $300. I'm happy to pay a bit more for American based panels.

The project should be completed in 6-8 weeks. I'll keep you guys updated as it goes.

Thanks for to all that contribute to this forum!

Comment

Well, the install was completed today. We have to have the electrical inspected and then the poco will come to swap the meter and turn the system on.

Very happy with the installer as he was very patient, especially with my OCD tendencies.

We ended up going as American as we could with the all black Suniva 250w panels and a Power-one TL inverter. The system is 6kw.

Can't wait to see how well it will actually perform.

Comment

6kw

Very neat. I am guessing you have 24 panels, 12 on each post. So those platforms
              might be 15' by 13'. Pretty substantial, somebody needs to stand under them to
              give the picture perspective.

You tilt them for season? Lets see the mechanism on the back side. Bruce Roe

Comment

Look nice!
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

This looks great! Congratulations and hope it provides you many happy returns

Genius

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                    Very neat. I am guessing you have 24 panels, 12 on each post. So those platforms
                    might be 15' by 13'. Pretty substantial, somebody needs to stand under them to
                    give the picture perspective.

You tilt them for season? Lets see the mechanism on the back side. Bruce Roe
                    You guessed right. There are two 12 panel arrays at about 15'x13'. They are the biggest the installer had done per pole (normally does 5kw systems with 10 panels per pole). They're big, but not as big as i had pictured in my mind's eye. Here a picture with my wife under one of them for scale.

We will play with the tilt. I'm sure I'll geek out on the angles at for a while. Probably change the angle of the dangle four times a year. Here's what the Power-Fab cap look like.

On the tilting, I was reading this article last night. Anyone have thoughts on it?

http://www.solarpaneltilt.com/

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                    X