Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wired monitoring solution that connects to both meter and inverters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DreInMD View Post
    I have a TED Pro home system. It has two MTUs on my primary panel and one on my solar subpanel. I also have 1 Spyder which allows you to monitor up to 8 individual circuits. The CT sensors are capable of determining the flow of power. During the evening right before the invertors shutdown I can see that they are actually pulling power from the grid. I can also see the 2 watt draw of the sunpower monitoring system at night. I can send a PM that will allow you to log on to see my system if you would like.
    i watched the various videos on the TED website, including the installation ones. they said that the sensor clips have a light on them which needs to be pointed towards the electricity source - and that if they are placed the other way around that they will not function accurately. this appears to be in conflict with what you are saying here, in that you are saying that the sensors are capable of determining the flow of power (direction). or am i mis-interpreting your words here?
    i have logged on to the online demo of the TED software, so for now i am already aware of all that i think i need to be aware of... though thanks for the offer.

Comment

Originally posted by gregvet View Post
      Unfortunately, the OP's requirement are not the wireless options-many of which these systems seem to use...
      Can be wireless or wired - depends on how it is organized if you read it well.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

i just real-eyesed that the issue of flow direction may be simpler than i was thinking, in that i was imagining that i would need to monitor the main cable that enters the house from the utility supply. however, maybe, as a previous poster pointed to, i will be able to monitor each internal cable individually to monitor the usage that way - and not monitor the 'master' cable that connects to the utility grid at all.

i am not familiar enough with the cabling currently to know if that will be possible here or not.

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
          Can be wireless or wired - depends on how it is organized if you read it well.
          i looked through the site there and only saw refernces to wireless connections. i looked at every page and while i did not examine every page with a fine tooth comb, i didn't see mention of a wired-only solution. do you know of a url at http://www.rfxcom.com where that aspect is explained?

Comment

You convert the pulse into an electric signal - put the receiver where you want and use cable to the PC.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by ura_soul View Post
              i just real-eyesed that the issue of flow direction may be simpler than i was thinking, in that i was imagining that i would need to monitor the main cable that enters the house from the utility supply. however, maybe, as a previous poster pointed to, i will be able to monitor each internal cable individually to monitor the usage that way - and not monitor the 'master' cable that connects to the utility grid at all.

i am not familiar enough with the cabling currently to know if that will be possible here or not.
              The TED Spider may suit your needs in this situation. Although as the Previous Poster pointed out the TED Pro can do this as well as the entire facility electrical usage.

Comment

Just a heads up. As I understand the TED system it can be connected both hard wired or wireless. Even if your hard wire the system it will still emit a wireless signal whether that signal is used or not.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS26 View Post
                  Just a heads up. As I understand the TED system it can be connected both hard wired or wireless. Even if your hard wire the system it will still emit a wireless signal whether that signal is used or not.
                  I could be wrong. As I understand it, the gateway (main part that logs the energy info) has to be connected to a router/computer via a network cable. The TED 5000 system does not need wireless capability to function. It can function wirelessly if the router you use has wireless capability.

Comment

Ted-Pro.jpg
                    The TED Spider may suit your needs in this situation. Although as the Previous Poster pointed out the TED Pro can do this as well as the entire facility electrical usage.

The TED Spyder requires the TED Pro Home to function. To monitor both your solar production as well as home consumption will require two of the MTU devices. One on the utility supply and the second on your solar generation either at the breaker on the main panel or at the sub panel if using a line side tap. The Spyder really would not work for the solar portion as its calculations are not used in generating the NET/GEN/LOAD values. The values of the parent MTU are used.

Comment

I could be wrong. As I understand it, the gateway (main part that logs the energy info) has to be connected to a router/computer via a network cable. The TED 5000 system does not need wireless capability to function. It can function wirelessly if the router you use has wireless capability.
                      The TED 5000 gateway communicates with a handheld display wirelessly. It's the same signal that is also used for wireless router. I believe that functionally is always on and cannot be disabled. Best to check with the manufacturer to verify.

Comment

Ted power direction

Originally posted by DanS26 View Post
                        The TED 5000 gateway communicates with a handheld display wirelessly. It's the same signal that is also used for wireless router. I believe that functionally is always on and cannot be disabled. Best to check with the manufacturer to verify.
                        I tried some TED equipment on my bench. The power measurement was transmitted by the
                        MTU through the power line (at low frequency) to the GATEWAY, which relayed it to the wireless
                        display via a very short range radio. The accuracy was pretty good, and it also came with
                        several percent in dealing with bad power factor. A computer was optional here.

What I did not see, was ability to recognize direction of power flow, at least on the remote
                        display. When I reversed the power (turned the clamp on current transformers around),
                        the display didn't change. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                          I tried some TED equipment on my bench. The power measurement was transmitted by the
                          MTU through the power line (at low frequency) to the GATEWAY, which relayed it to the wireless
                          display via a very short range radio. The accuracy was pretty good, and it also came with
                          several percent in dealing with bad power factor. A computer was optional here.

What I did not see, was ability to recognize direction of power flow, at least on the remote
                          display. When I reversed the power (turned the clamp on current transformers around),
                          the display didn't change. Bruce Roe

Bruce,

At least with the TED Pro it depends on how the gateway is configured. It needs to know that the system is configured for generation otherwise it will present absolute values for power from the MTUS and it will not matter which direction the CTs face.

Also I don't even use a display at all. I just use my pc/smartphone/ipad to view it.

Comment

Bruce,

At least with the TED Pro it depends on how the gateway is configured. It needs to know that the system is configured for generation otherwise it will present absolute values for power from the MTUS and it will not matter which direction the CTs face.

Also I don't even use a display at all. I just use my pc/smartphone/ipad to view it.
                            If that is true, I wonder if the CT orientation as explicitly pointed out in the installation instructions for the TED 5000 are necessary as long as the systems has been assigned the correct consumption/generation settings... Maybe the TED Pro is different in this aspect.

Comment

Bruce,

Thanks, but I don't have any pc/smartphone/ipad. I wonder if I could do the download
                              at the library and configure it there?

It doesn't please me that the default is giving absolute values. I note the KILL A WATT does
                              the same. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                                Thanks, but I don't have any pc/smartphone/ipad. I wonder if I could do the download
                                at the library and configure it there?

It doesn't please me that the default is giving absolute values. I note the KILL A WATT does
                                the same. Bruce Roe
                                You will have to have some type of PC or Laptop at home to configure it. You have to tell the ECC (Gateway) what MTUs are on the system to connect to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X