Selling panels: sales commission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling panels: sales commission

I want to get involved selling solar panel projects.

What would be some range of standard commission or payments for selling or prospecting for commercial solar accounts?

Thanks, in advance

You don't just sell panels alone, they need to be installed and connected to be useful. Maybe learning about an entire installed package, and then working with a couple of local contractors (roof & electric) to sell turnkey installs would work.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

yes, that is what I am doing

Mike, thanks for your reply. I am doing what you suggest.

I have an installer/seller that is willing to take me under their wing - starting out prospecting and then quickly going to turn-key sales.

So, I am seeking info to base my negotiations on.

Specifically: compensation for "appointment setting/prospecting" and also sales commission for complete sales with a signature.

Any ideas about that?

Comment

Hi Steve, Welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

I don't know too much on this subject, but here's what I think:

I would arrange a flat payment per quality "lead." Maybe $10, $20 per lead? It would depend on the area your in. Is solar installation popular in your area?

As for complete solar installation, I would think 5-10% of the sale is fair. I'd definitely shoot for the high number during the first negotiation. Guessing an average installation is around $20k (after rebates), that would be $1000-2000 per sale.

I'm not getting these numbers from any particular place...just think it seems reasonable.

Good luck.

Comment

I was involved with a business which was doing what it is you are talking about/ and or interested in doing. With these projects, the sales person who initiated the sale received 6.5% of the margin on the sale. That meant that the total sale price to the customer minus the cost of the hardware and then multiplied by 6.5%.

Since the hardware was about 60-70% of the typical costs, on a $100,000 project, it could mean about $2000 in commission.
          dedicated to long term solar for our planet and our future generations

Comment

Working...
          X