X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • electrodacus
    • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Sundetective
    Perhaps you can have it both ways someday using a smaller LiFePO4 bank as a Slave bank to service
    a poor, but much larger Lead Acid Battery Bank.

Bill Blake

I guess you did not see my video comparing Lead Acid with LiFePO4

Lead Acid is already much more expensive over the life of the battery than LiFePO4.
    The gasoline is already hugely expensive and considering the efficiency of small generators.
    It will take about 1liter of fuel to produce 1kWh and that is around 1.2$ here in Canada so 1.2$/kWh is extremely expensive not even considering here the cost amortisation of that generator.
    Where solar PV can produce 1kWh at a cost of around 3cent/kWh with under 1$/Watt and 25 years amortisation.
    From my study real cost of energy storing for LiFePO4 is around 15 to 25 cent/kWh and Lead Acid at best 50 to 80cent/kWh in solar offgrid applications.

Large companies do not care about offgrid (this such a small market that it makes no sense to make any investment).
    But most sell already LiFePO4 complete storage systems for grid tied applications where cost /kWh is higher usually in Europe.
    Sony, Bosh and SMA are just a few that have this grid tied LiFePO4 battery systems.

Comment

• PNjunction
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by electrodacus
      So you need a generator to properly maintain Lead Acid in an offgrid situation?
      Another point for LiFePO4
      Sunking's point is that everything has a tradeoff. Lifepo4 (I am a big fan) also has a huge upfront cost, and also the need for a bms. I suppose the serious off-gridd'er with lifepo4 would do well to have a redundant bms system just sitting around. More costs.

Lifepo4 is not a drop-in solution. Neither is AGM. Nor flooded. Salesman for products and services will disagree and do their best trying to make any one of these three a one-size-fits-all solution. We all know better.

Comment

• Sundetective
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2011

I guess you did not see my video comparing Lead Acid with LiFePO4

Lead Acid is already much more expensive over the life of the battery than LiFePO4.
        The gasoline is already hugely expensive and considering the efficiency of small generators.
        It will take about 1liter of fuel to produce 1kWh and that is around 1.2$ here in Canada so 1.2$/kWh is extremely expensive not even considering here the cost amortisation of that generator.
        Where solar PV can produce 1kWh at a cost of around 3cent/kWh with under 1$/Watt and 25 years amortisation.
        From my study real cost of energy storing for LiFePO4 is around 15 to 25 cent/kWh and Lead Acid at best 50 to 80cent/kWh in solar offgrid applications.

Large companies do not care about offgrid (this such a small market that it makes no sense to make any investment).
        But most sell already LiFePO4 complete storage systems for grid tied applications where cost /kWh is higher usually in Europe.
        Sony, Bosh and SMA are just a few that have this grid tied LiFePO4 battery systems.
        Electro,

Actually I read and listened to thee fairly carefully.

I Likes your style however I don't think any numbers add up yet.

Let's just say a person decided on dual battery banks.

Say 820 Amp hours Each at 48 Volts for each bank.

Something like the Rolls 5000 Series Lead Acid job-ies.

Going with the 3 Cell, 6 Volt units it's

$15,984 for both Battery Banks

Delivered to my door (East of da Mississippi) at $999 each.

Simple wiring and routine charge controllers on top of that cost.

Now it's your turn.

How much $US for 1640 Amp Hours (or so) at 48 (or so) Volts

with all the Wire Harness and Labor Costs plus the BMS systems

doing it your way ??

Rap on

Bill Blake

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

So you need a generator to properly maintain Lead Acid in an offgrid situation?
          Another point for LiFePO4
          Generator required regardless of battery type.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...