X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nihon
    • Apr 2014

howdy. New to socal.

I recently bought a house in socal and I'm looking to go solar in the near future sice the power bills here are a bit high and only heading up.
    I'm just in the research and design phase for my system. Just got the roof redone for this purpose.
    Is there a better section of the forum to ask about which panels are a better option, how many I should look to get, and basic system design info?

Thanks for all of the solar power knowledge that you guys will be helping me with in the future.
  • MottMcFly
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by nihon
    I recently bought a house in socal and I'm looking to go solar in the near future sice the power bills here are a bit high and only heading up.
    I'm just in the research and design phase for my system. Just got the roof redone for this purpose.
    Is there a better section of the forum to ask about which panels are a better option, how many I should look to get, and basic system design info?

Thanks for all of the solar power knowledge that you guys will be helping me with in the future.
    Welcome from Pasadena

Mott

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

Originally posted by nihon

Hello Nihon and welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

A grid tied system sub forum would probably be best, now that you have introduced yourself.

Pick one from either http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forumd...cal-solar-talk
      or http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forumd...for-homeowners.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Ward L
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2014

What I did

I moved into my new SoCal home in October. And after talking to several solar companies decided to buy a Costco system for $3.85/W after sales tax and before incentives. Normally SCE looks at the last 12 months of power use. If you don't have 12 months, SCE will approve a system with about 2 times your home square footage. If you have a 3,000 SF home, you can install a 6kW system. I say about, because they will round the size off. I talked to local independent electrician companies that did solar, big national solar companies, lease and purchase. I wanted to purchase my system since I had the money. You don't want to go too small of a company because they may not be around in 10 years. I always figure if I buy something from Costco I may not get the best deal, but I get a good deal and that I can be happy with. You can do all your research and get recommendations, but you still have to go with what you feel comfortable with. Probably the biggest decision is do you want micro inverters or not. I went with micro inverters because I want to see what each panel is producing every day. Good luck!

Comment

Working...