Small street light system -Starting with test results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockah
    Ditto... Even if the battery was in the middle, 150 meters each way is not doable with 20ga wire.

Scrap telephone wire... isn't that 20ga-24ga?
    If its going to be 24 gauge, better plan on a series string like the arc lights of 1900. It will
    take a fairly high voltage, current source. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by Shockah View Post
      Ditto...
      Even if the battery was in the middle, 150meters each way is not doable with 20ga wire.

More like 22 to 26 AWG. That is some funny stuff using telephone wire. He needs 1/0 to 4/0 the size of his wrist at 300 meters Let the fool learn the hard way. Failure and loosing money is a great teacher.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        More like 22 to 26 AWG. That is some funny stuff using telephone wire. He needs 1/0 to 4/0 the size of his wrist at 300 meters Let the fool learn the hard way. Failure and loosing money is a great teacher.
        Telephone wires will cm free..via some link.boost cnverter idea I will prefer..

If all fails I can use a 10$ car inverter just need to put drivers at lights!system will run on 230v ac fr transmission

Comment

i am not that dumb as you think some DIY things i made are AUDIO DAC,CLASS A AMP, some ARM 9 development platform .
          This solar thingy is slightly new to me,iam not sure tele wires may be 24swg, approx size of my speaker wires :

I am happy to learn past few days some good info from net and experts :
          >DC drop in long wires to be considered wich is 3 -4Volts
          my take: voltage booster with thin wire possibly scrap but tested wire
          >Deep cycle battery needed ,but VRSLA can be used if not allowed to discharge very low
          My take:central unit will take care of discharge limit
          > to make up for cloudy days we need high cap battery and bigger panels

My take: system has grid option so initial proto system will limit to 20W panel and when in rainy required will get charge
          from grid

>solar power is more expensive than grid
          My take : here question of putting a system in place ,with minimal support from community

>Transmission can be easy pushing voltage to 230V ac and using led drivers
          but 230V usable lights can attract thieves, as here power line is 230V

Let me do 2nd level of tests to gather the data:

2nd LEVEL TEST:

12V full charged battery ---->IC dropper-->LED unit(driverless)

Shopping IC etc is tedious job here in INDIA , online orders take 6-10days
          i need to go market to get few items

Comment

Ditto...
            Even if the battery was in the middle, 150meters each way is not doable with 20ga wire.

Remember LED units run at 9.3V also so 3V drop wont cause issue

but i will prefer to pump voltage to 24V in transmission see the DCDC unit in attachment
            5USD for 24V ..whopping 6AMPS

ebay link http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-150W-DC...item3a86393f91
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by human011 View Post
              Remember LED units run at 9.3V also so 3V drop wont cause issue
              Wanna bet on that? It means you burn 25% of your power up on wiring.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                Wanna bet on that? It means you burn 25% of your power up on wiring.
                Oh that is correct , losses may weigh significant , if we push volt till 24V what will be the scene ,
                the DCDC unit says it does with 96% efficiency .

avoiding heavy cabling is desired ..

Comment

Originally posted by human011 View Post
                  Oh that is correct , losses may weigh significant , if we push volt till 24V what will be the scene ,
                  the DCDC unit says it does with 96% efficiency .

avoiding heavy cabling is desired ..
                  Ok, Great... you seem to have it ALL figured out

'nuff talk.... go get it wired up with the booster and thin wire,
                  and post updates on how it is working for you.
                  [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

Ok, Great... you seem to have it ALL figured out

'nuff talk.... go get it wired up with the booster and thin wire,
                    and post updates on how it is working for you.
                    Don't forget to purchase a fire extinguisher in case those wires get real hot.

Comment

Working...
                    X