Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doomsayz
    • Apr 2014

Battery Issue or charger issue!! Urgent help needed pls

Recently my batteries where giving less backup. I checked up few parameters, and found out few facts about my system. And I am really in confused state. Pls guide me.

I am having 2 Exide c10 150AH flooded lead acid batteries connected series (24V inverter). Now initially when I checked specific gravity of cells(at full charge condition), it showed around 1.2, but 2 cells (1 each in 2 batteries) showed 1.15.Which is way below manufacturer specification of 1.250. Immediately I took it my dealer, and he put them on charger. Even after 24 hrs of charging batteries couldn't go beyond 15V each ( manufacturer equalization voltage is 16.5v). I checked his changing current,which was 4.5 A, and was way below recommended charging current for batteries ( 10 % AH capacity). SO is that the reason my batteries didn't go beyond 15v??
    Now dealer is sending batteries back to manufacturer.

Coming to my inverter charging part: I am having MPPT charge controller based inverter. I did note there is a difference of 0.5 V in what display shows and what actually battery voltage is. (display volt = battery volt+0.5) i.e display voltage is higher!! My inverter has full battery cut off at 28.5V, but actually it charges only 28V. And inverter logic switches load from mains to solar, immediately after it reaches full charge state. So my inverter never maintains floating state for battery!! Also same applies to mains reconnect voltage which 23V, which way too low as actual battery voltage is 22.5V.

What to do guys??
    Will getting a separate battery charger / equalizer , and charging occasionally like once a weak, will help??

MY battery is EXIDE flooded lead acid type and inverter is 1000VA MRO TEK inverter.
    Urgent help needed pls
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by doomsayz
    I am having 2 Exide c10 150AH flooded lead acid batteries connected series (24V inverter).
    Are these your batteries? Right now your main problem is your batteries are toast and need replaced.

As for the voltage difference where are you measuring the voltage? You need to check two places.

1. On the battery term post
    2. Input of inverter.

If the inverter/charger is off by .5 volts, then you have a problem with the inverter/charger. I have no idea if it can be calibrated or not, you need to find out. What I can tell you is if charger only charges the batteries up to 28 volts before terminating the charge is way too low of a voltage as it should be 31.2 volts. Your batteries have never been fully charged since you put them into service which destroyed them.

FWIW a 24 volt @ 150 AH battery is not very much daily power. If you want them to last 4 years is only around 700 watt hours per day or less than 10-cents of electricity per day. I have no idea why on earth you would be using battery power if you have commercial power available because it is so much less expensive than battery power something you will learn very quickly. Sounds to me like you have not done any research or investigation into what you are trying to accomplish and now learning the hard way (with your lost money) you made a lot of mistakes.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Sadly, I don't know of any good, integrated solar MPPT charger/inverter gear. You will have to resort to reading the manual to see if it is operating properly. With indications of it being 1/2 volt wrong, it's not good news.

And regardless of the inverter/charger, if you don't have enough solar to provide for your loads, the batteries will never charge properly. What do you have for loads, and PV ?
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...