Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run my pool pump solar off grid

Hi everyone.

I have a small pool that I want to use as a back up water source in the event the grid goes down. It has a 2 speed 1.5 hp and 1/4 hp pump. I want to set it to 1/4 hp (about 200 watts?) So 2 150 watt panels to voltage regulator to batteries (how many?) to 500 watt inverter to pump. This will only be used in the event of a long term power outage. And will be a separate system. What do you think?

Pat

Not nearly enough watts, no batteries, and a pool pump wont provide enough pressure to fill the toilets or presurize a RO filter to make it drinkable.
    least expensive way is a 5 gallon bucket. Drinking pool water without proper filtration or chemical balance is risky
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

I guess I should be more clear. The pool pump is not supplying water to the house it is just filtering like normal to keep it from turning green. That's why I want the solar for when power goes out, no green pool because we will still want to swim when there is no power. Second we have a filter system we use now to filter and drink pool water and it works great. So just 1/4 hp is all I need to power, so what do you think.
      Pat

Comment

We use a 5 gal bucket to transfer pool water to our filter system

Comment

A wtshtf scenario?
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Yes exactly a SHTF situation. We can keep the pool water filtering and use the water to drink, bathe, go for a dip when its hot and you get the idea. I just have to keep it filtering at low speed.

Comment

Originally posted by onmy6 View Post
              Yes exactly a SHTF situation. We can keep the pool water filtering and use the water to drink, bathe, go for a dip when its hot and you get the idea. I just have to keep it filtering at low speed.
              A bit loony to me.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Well I guess that means it can't be done, too bad. well thanks for the help anyway

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                  A bit loony to me.
                  It may seem a bit loony until you go through a hurricane and have no power for 30 days (yes it took 30 days) and wish you could go for a nice dip in the pool since the water was also cut off.
                  Thanks again.
                  Pat

Comment

I just saw a self contained all in one solar panel that floats with the pump and filter built in or maybe I could add a DC pump to the system and wire that in with a bypass valve. I was hoping to use what I already have. I will try some other forums and see if they know about this.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by onmy6 View Post
                      I just saw a self contained all in one solar panel that floats with the pump and filter built in or maybe I could add a DC pump to the system and wire that in with a bypass valve. I was hoping to use what I already have. I will try some other forums and see if they know about this.
                      Thanks.
                      Try one of the green forums - there anything is possible.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Forget the pump that you're trying to use.

Get a DC pump that is designed to be run solar direct. That way you don't need batteries or an inverter. I'll pump during the day when the panels prouce enough power and quit at night. The DC pump will cost about what the batteries and inverter will cost and you won't have to worry about replacing them every few years.

Comment

Awesome!! Thanks.

Comment

Oh any thoughts on a good place to buy DC pumps?

Comment

Working...
                            X