charge controller load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charge controller load

Just starting to get into this stuff. I have 2 controllers. An MPPT & PWM type. Both appear to be working properly. About 20v from the panels going in and 14v to a battery. I was planning on hooking an inverter to the load terminals on the controller but there is nothing there. No voltage.
    The instructions for the PWM says it is only for low voltage LED. If you can't use them why are they there?
    How can I run an inverter? Hook directly to the battery?

Originally posted by ertert View Post
    Just starting to get into this stuff. I have 2 controllers. An MPPT & PWM type. Both appear to be working properly. About 20v from the panels going in and 14v to a battery. I was planning on hooking an inverter to the load terminals on the controller but there is nothing there. No voltage.
    The instructions for the PWM says it is only for low voltage LED. If you can't use them why are they there?
    How can I run an inverter? Hook directly to the battery?
    Hello ertert and welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

The load terminal will only have power available when the battery voltage is above a set threshold (when configured for low voltage cutoff function or battery in float function) or for some period of time after the sun goes down (when configured for lighting control function.) Not all CCs with load terminals will have both functions, so check your manual.

An inverter needs to be able to draw a high current (for things like turn on surge of an incandescent light or starting a motor), and should be connected directly to the battery terminals (with a fuse of course!). But in that case you will either depend on the Low Voltage CutOff (LVCO) of the inverter or add a separate voltage sensing control.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      Hello ertert and welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

The load terminal will only have power available when the battery voltage is above a set threshold (when configured for low voltage cutoff function or battery in float function) or for some period of time after the sun goes down (when configured for lighting control function.) Not all CCs with load terminals will have both functions, so check your manual.

An inverter needs to be able to draw a high current (for things like turn on surge of an incandescent light or starting a motor), and should be connected directly to the battery terminals (with a fuse of course!). But in that case you will either depend on the Low Voltage CutOff (LVCO) of the inverter or add a separate voltage sensing control.
      Thanks. I have tried them in "test mode" , manual, timers turned off & everything and still nothing at the terminals.
      Connecting directly to the battery sounds like the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by ertert View Post
        Thanks. I have tried them in "test mode" , manual, timers turned off & everything and still nothing at the terminals.
        Connecting directly to the battery sounds like the way to go.
        OK. One thing to make sure you do is to connect the CC to the battery before you connect the panel to it, otherwise it may not initialize correctly. (Although there are few models for which this is not required. Again, check your instructions.) By the way, what was the battery voltage and the panel voltage when you checked the load terminals?

Comment

OK. One thing to make sure you do is to connect the CC to the battery before you connect the panel to it, otherwise it may not initialize correctly. (Although there are few models for which this is not required. Again, check your instructions.) By the way, what was the battery voltage and the panel voltage when you checked the load terminals?
          Panel voltage 19-20.1. Just measured battery voltage at output terminals and its jumping around 13 - 13.8.
          That is now. In the past I was getting 14.2-14.4 to battery.
          I am using a crappy battery now. Still setting up. Instructions for the PWM state:

"+ -: This step is optional. You can jump to Step 5 anytime since the DC load terminal
          labeled with a “bulb” icon is only suitable for low power 12VDC LED/Bulb lighting.
          Please do not connect devices such as power inverters, high power DC
          motors/pumps or other 12VDC electronics with heavy electrical load."

Thought I would be able to get the rated power of the controller (10 amps)
          Nothing there.

Comment

Maybe the load is programmed to function only dusk-to-dawn?

Connect a low watt LED to "load" terminals... cover the panel to simulate night ... wait a few minutes for load to switch on.
            [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

Load terminals on CC's are useless for only low power with LVD.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                Load terminals on CC's are useless for only low power with LVD.
                ertert stated 13v - 14.4v @ battery... well above LVD threshold, no?

Comment

Use the recommended wire gauge and fuse, and hook the inverter directly to the battery.

The load terminals are ONLY for very low power things, and the heavy load of an inverter will
                  fry the internals.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                    Use the recommended wire gauge and fuse, and hook the inverter directly to the battery.

The load terminals are ONLY for very low power things, and the heavy load of an inverter will
                    fry the internals.
                    Inverter?! ... oh,

I beg your pardon... I did not see: "I was planning on hooking an inverter to the load terminals on the controller."

Comment

Originally posted by ertert
                      It's Moe!
                      He is now banned.
                      Moe? Is there a back story to this?

Comment

He is now banned.
                        The head stooge.

Comment

He is now banned.
                          Now we only have to watch out for Larry & Curly!
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Don't forget Shemp. I think I saw him post last week.

Comment

Working...
                            X