Wish to run my Room Air-Conditioner on solar during day time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paulcheung View Post
    Which way is cheaper? to increase the panels size by 5 X the need wattage or just buy 4 automobile 12 volt battery which cost about $80 each have 500 amps crank power?
    I don't know so I am asking if this would be possible.

Instead batteries or even with conjunction of batteries, could someone use super capacitors with it that could give the instant high power/amps a compressor needs ? You see folks on u-tube starting their cars just on super capacitors or they use them with conjunction of a small battery. Super capacitors may not be cheaper than a battery, but may have a potential to last longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      Real simple, you need batteries. Not going to happen without them.
      hi, what is soft starter vfd?how does it work and in what senerio can we use it?

Comment

Originally posted by jomolu View Post
        hi, what is soft starter vfd?how does it work and in what senerio can we use it?
        Actually there are both Soft Starters and VFD's.

The soft starter use electronics to slowly raise the voltage of a motor so that it "ramps" up to speed instead of immediately going full speed. The soft start function limits the "inrush" current being drawn by the motor to a level much lower than a normal start which could be 6 to 8 times the motor current rating.

A VFD (variable frequency drive) allows you to start a motor at full speed or slowly ramp it up to full speed. It also allows you to change the speed while running based on the process requirements. It can also allow you to run the motor at a fixed speed different then the motor rpm rating. One issue with the VFD is that if you run it too slow the motor will begin to heat up and cause an issue.

Both of these motors starters require a constant voltage source to start and run the motor. They as well as capacitors will not help you to run your AC system just using solar panels.

Comment

If it were me, I would forget about the solar panels and charge controller and buy something like an Outback 3500 to 3600 watt inverter/charger, FX or Radian with a MATE3 and a 48 volt 500 AH battery bank. Run A/C on grid and charge the batteries while the grid is up. Automatic transfer to inverter when grid goes down. Batteries might give you 6 to 7 hours of downtime if the A/C is cycling at 50%. Solar could be added later.
          Probably looking at 7 to 8 thousand dollars US. But then again, that's a lot of money for air conditioning.

Rick
          3.6 kw PV, Classic 150, Radian GS4048A, LFP 195A

Comment

A random thought, possibly impractical.
            If a PWM controlled normally closed high pressure solenoid valve was put in as a bypass to the orifice tube/TXV valve. This valve could be opened before the compressor starts, meaning that it's spinning but not compressing and drawing a lower than normal start up current. When the compressor is up to speed, or about a second later the pulse width is changed so that it gradually closes the bypass solenoid and loads the compressor. This bypass could also be opened to dump any residual pressure in the high side of the system when the compressor stops.
            I bought an Arduino so I'm mad keen to apply it to everything I can

Comment

Originally posted by NeilTheCop View Post
              A random thought, possibly impractical.
              If a PWM controlled normally closed high pressure solenoid valve was put in as a bypass to the orifice tube/TXV valve. This valve could be opened before the compressor starts, meaning that it's spinning but not compressing and drawing a lower than normal start up current. When the compressor is up to speed, or about a second later the pulse width is changed so that it gradually closes the bypass solenoid and loads the compressor. This bypass could also be opened to dump any residual pressure in the high side of the system when the compressor stops.
              I bought an Arduino so I'm mad keen to apply it to everything I can
              That would all have to be built into the sealed compressor can (which has the motor in it)
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

The TXV valve or orifice tube is either inside or just outside the evaporator coil. It's nowhere near the compressor.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilTheCop View Post
                  The TXV valve or orifice tube is either inside or just outside the evaporator coil. It's nowhere near the compressor.
                  and if you splice it, it's going to leak. A unloading valve needs to be inside the compressor, or it's too vulnerable to damage or leaking. (moving parts - the electric solenoid and valve) with expensive refrigerant and pricey repair costs, all should go into the compressor can.

Well, you can put it anywhere you want, but not on my rig.
                  Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                  X