Urban Solar power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban Solar power

Hi My name is Ray and this is my first post. I know NOTHING about solar power. With that said ,I would like to build my own portable solar generator for my apartment . I would like to power fans ,Laptop, tablet, cell phone, radio, rechargeable batteries Ham radio(portable) , lamp etc.. Not all at the same time of course.. After looking on youtube ,it does not seem that hard but to get the right components is the challenge. I want to buy right and buy once... I would rather buy good stuff once than bad stuff 10 times... Any recommendations would be appreciated . Correct me if I am wrong... Does it go like this... Solar panel to charge controller to battery to inverter? More or less? Hey I am trying here

Thanks
    Ray

You got the chain of events correct.
    However what is the motivation to take these items off grid?
    If you want to save money it is not going to work. You will be spending 5-10 times as much per Kilowatt hour than you are now spending.
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Just for emergency and SHTF type of stuff ... Learning something new... During sandy lights were out for a week and did not like it.... Live in an apartment so a gas generator is out...

Comment

Originally posted by onezee20 View Post
        Just for emergency and SHTF type of stuff ... Learning something new... During sandy lights were out for a week and did not like it.... Live in an apartment so a gas generator is out...
        When the SHTF power will be the lest of your worries. Spend the cash on survival gear and guns. Unless you are out of the city on some land your power is just going to make you a target.

Comment

Look into these and keep them charged up
          http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ower%20station

Using a solar panel in an apartment will be next to impossible, any window cuts down the sun power by orders of magnitude and even if the windows open your sun exposure and angle would likely not provide you with very much power at all.
          1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/OG-55-Solar-Po...94WQXA60WNA2BA

Your post peaked my intrest and I wondered what people were selling. You could do something better than this for far less money if this is the sort of thing you had in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by thastinger View Post
              Look into these and keep them charged up
              http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ower%20station

Using a solar panel in an apartment will be next to impossible, any window cuts down the sun power by orders of magnitude and even if the windows open your sun exposure and angle would likely not provide you with very much power at all.
              Thanks.. I do have the Duracell 600 . I have access to the roof ,so I can put a panel up there and run a line through my window...

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/OG-55-Solar-Po...94WQXA60WNA2BA

Your post peaked my intrest and I wondered what people were selling. You could do something better than this for far less money if this is the sort of thing you had in mind.
                Thanks .. This is what I have in mind.. I would like to build my own power source so I would know how to repair it and learn(experiment) about solar at the same time. I can put a few panels on the roof of my house.. The roof is not accessible to neighbors.. Thanks for the reply and any help would be appreciated...

Comment

Look on each power adapter for what you want to be able to recharge and add up the load. You should be able to charge most of that from a 12V source. You'd probably be fine with a couple of 12V Marine batteries as large as you can get, then just keep one in the apt and charge the other while you're using the one. You'll need at least a couple hundred watts of panel (won't know exactly until you figure out the loads) and be able to face them to the South and build some frames to place them at the proper elevation.

Comment

Look on each power adapter for what you want to be able to recharge and add up the load. You should be able to charge most of that from a 12V source. You'd probably be fine with a couple of 12V Marine batteries as large as you can get, then just keep one in the apt and charge the other while you're using the one. You'll need at least a couple hundred watts of panel (won't know exactly until you figure out the loads) and be able to face them to the South and build some frames to place them at the proper elevation.
                    Hi .. What am I looking for on the chargers exactly.... Thanks

Comment

should have some input numbers and some output numbers on the labels. post those

Comment

should have some input numbers and some output numbers on the labels. post those
                        CPAP Machine 12v 6.6A power cord supply 100-240V 50/60hz 12V 2.5 in 12v 5.0 out

Samsung galaxy cell phone 100-240v 50/60 HZ . 35 A in ... 5.0V -2.0A out

Samsung 10.1 tablet 100-240v 50/60 HZ .35A in ... 5.0V - 2.0A out

Samsung Laptop AC 100V 1.5 A DC 19V 3.42 A

Duracell 600W power station 200AH Battery AC 100/240V 3.0 A DC13.5 V 1.0 A

I will also be using 2 DC fans .. The little ones that go in cars... I have one running on my Duracell power station for 5 hours and it only dropped 10% It has no info on it...

I hope this helps and I will not waste your time helping me.. As soon you tell me what options I have, I will get right to it.... Thanks again Ray

I am not rich but not poor either so I would rather get good components and batteries right from the start.. Go as big as I can but still be portable...

Comment

.... I have access to the roof ,so I can put a panel up there and run a line through my window...
                          And find an empty wire in the AM. If you have access to the roof, so does everyone.

And beware of being the only light in the city in the dark. Unless you like sharing. Protect the panel, don't leave it out unless you are charging, you don't want a hailstorm or flying branches to take it out the day before you need it.

If you run your CPAP without the humidifier, you get lots longer battery life, even more if you get the 12V DC automotive cig lighter cord, and skip the 20% losses of inverter. I get 2 nights of CPAP on a full charge of a jump start power pack via it's lighter outlet.
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

CPAP Machine 12v 6.6A power cord supply 100-240V 50/60hz 12V 2.5 in 12v 5.0 out

Samsung galaxy cell phone 100-240v 50/60 HZ . 35 A in ... 5.0V -2.0A out

Samsung 10.1 tablet 100-240v 50/60 HZ .35A in ... 5.0V - 2.0A out

Samsung Laptop AC 100V 1.5 A DC 19V 3.42 A

Duracell 600W power station 200AH Battery AC 100/240V 3.0 A DC13.5 V 1.0 A

I will also be using 2 DC fans .. The little ones that go in cars... I have one running on my Duracell power station for 5 hours and it only dropped 10% It has no info on it...

I hope this helps and I will not waste your time helping me.. As soon you tell me what options I have, I will get right to it.... Thanks again Ray

I am not rich but not poor either so I would rather get good components and batteries right from the start.. Go as big as I can but still be portable...
                            Ok, thats a start to determining your loads.
                            - check the duracell power pack again, it doesn't have a 200AH battery in it, probably a 20Ah.
                            - you wouldn't need the cell phone, laptop and tablet in your scenario, your phone could do it all. Do you still want all 3?
                            - your CPAP, I just went through this with my FIL, he has 3 of them, his least efficient one used 165W while on ac and most efficient was 23W on about an 11 flow rate for him. He was able to run his most efficient one for 5 nights via the DC plug on his box similar to your duracell. Looks like yours might be pretty efficient from the numbers you posted so you're probably good there.
                            - batteries, what stores are available to you? You could go with a couple of walmart marine batteries or if you wanted a bit better battery, you could go with 12V Trojan batteries but you'd need to find a trojan battery dealer.
                            - solar panels, how do you intend to get these? Mine came on a delivery truck, yours won't be that big but they won't be small either
                            - will you be there all the time to monitor the recharge of a battery via the solar panels? I ask because it is possible to direct charge a battery from the correct solar panel. The advantage is that you don't get the loss from the solar charge controller, the disadvantage is that you have to monitor the recharge with a volt meter.
                            - you said "portable" above, how portable? Portable like carry it and bug out on foot or portable like load it into a car?
                            - it's going to be possible to do this pretty cheap as PV goes. Your cpap is obviously critical so I'd first see how many nights your duracell will run it. If it's 4 or 5 then you could just buy another portable power station and recharge those from solar panels. It would be much less available power, becuase each only has a 19-22Ah battery in it, than a couple of 110Ah 12V marine batteries but also much more portable and would require much smaller solar panels to recharge it.
                            - I assume you have a "bug out bag" of some sort, look into something like these to go in it to power your small electronics http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and get a USB LED light to go with it. I have this one along with the external battery and it works really well for it's intended purpose.

Comment

Hey thastinger ..... Sorry I was not answering sooner but had to chase some overtime at work.. So I could pay for this stuff and also spend time giving the right answers.

1. I would be fine with just using my tablet and cell phone... don't need the laptop...
                              2. I also have a Cen Tech 5 in 1 power back and my CPAP is running 2 days so far and could probably get 4 but definitely 3....
                              3. I have had that Duracell pack for years and after trying to use it for the CPAP I can see it is loosing its charge by 30% in 1 1/2 days with no use at all. Will have to get a second CenTech power pack... They are cheap at HF..
                              4. I will find the 12v Trojan battery.. what size would I need?
                              5. I plan to buy the solar panel online and if you could recommend a place that would be good .. Otherwise I will by it from Instapark. (I don't know how to put links on here).
                              6.As for my BOB,I have an Instapark 27 w foldable panel with a small battery pack they bundle with it... I have to say that its cool.. I experimented with it outside.. Takes 12 hours to charge the pack and the battery pack will charge my phone 5 times and tablet 2 times before it needs to be recharged...I can also charge the battery by AC in 2 hours... So I just charge it and leave it..
                              7. I can and cannot be around to charge the battery from solar panel... I have a 20A charge controller from Instapark.. I don't know if their stuff is quality but the stuff I already bought works... I would rather say I cant be around... During Sandy the power in Brooklyn was out for 8 days in my area but back on in NYC in a day so I had to go to work even though power was out at home.....
                              8. When I say portable I mean putting stuff in my Trailblazer 4x4...

I would still like to make up a Marine battery setup..Can ANY size Solar panel be used on an application. IE. A 200 watt panel to charge a Duracell 600 battery pack? Or do I have to size the panel to the storage unit whether its a Duracell battery pack or a Marine battery?

I hope I was clear enough with my answers to the questions and thanks again.....Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X