X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Naptown
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by thastinger
    for the inverter running from a FLA battery you want to stay with the same principle of C8-C12 that you use to charge with. IOW, if it's an 85Ah battery and you shoot for a C10 discharge rate, that means you can draw 8.5A from the battery 8.5Ax14VDC(if the battery is fully charged) means you could run a max of 120W inverter continiously. For short periods you could get a bit more out of it but don't go crazy with it. You be ok with a 250 or 300 so long as you didn't try to run those size loads for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

Careful on the panels, you need "battery panels" which are 17V panels to go with your PWM CC. You don't want to buy "grid panels" that are 35+ volts because you won't be able to use them.
    You have not accounted for Peukerts law in that calculation
    Look at the battery specs and see what the AH capacity is at a C/8 discharge rate.
    Your 85AH battery will probably end up to be more in the 70AH range at twice the rated discharge rate. Batteries are usually rated at the C20 rate
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• onezee20
      • Mar 2014

for the inverter running from a FLA battery you want to stay with the same principle of C8-C12 that you use to charge with. IOW, if it's an 85Ah battery and you shoot for a C10 discharge rate, that means you can draw 8.5A from the battery 8.5Ax14VDC(if the battery is fully charged) means you could run a max of 120W inverter continiously. For short periods you could get a bit more out of it but don't go crazy with it. You be ok with a 250 or 300 so long as you didn't try to run those size loads for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

Careful on the panels, you need "battery panels" which are 17V panels to go with your PWM CC. You don't want to buy "grid panels" that are 35+ volts because you won't be able to use them.
      Hey thastinger, I almost have all the parts. Would this panel be acceptable? I am buying the inverter from this company and want to just get the panel also but they only have 120W and want to know if the voltage match up.
      http://www.theinverterstore.com/120-...ar-panel.html# Thanks Ray

I am getting the pure sine wave inverter. Does it make a difference?

Comment

• thastinger
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2012

I would go with the PSW inverter, especially if you plan to plug your electronics into it.
        What is the Ah (20hr rate) of the battery you bought?
        1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

• onezee20
          • Mar 2014

I would go with the PSW inverter, especially if you plan to plug your electronics into it.
          What is the Ah (20hr rate) of the battery you bought?
          OK PSW it is and the Battery was 85ah

85ah I bought the Interstate Pro 27M Deep cycle battery.. Hope it is ok...http://www.theinverterstore.com/120-...ar-panel.html# IS this Panel good ??

Comment

• thastinger
            Solar Fanatic
            • Oct 2012

Yeah that should work, it's a bit lite but will work. I think you could find a better deal on that size battery panel though, but that's up to you.

In the interest of expectation management, be aware that the CC is going to cut that panel down to around 85W (6.5Axbattery voltage) so it'll only be able to recharge the battery about a third in a full bright sun day if properly positioned but that should keep up with the loads you listed just fine and then some. We covered not placing the panel in front of a window already. When you get all the gear let us know and we can help with fusing and wire sizes.

Comment

• onezee20
              • Mar 2014

Yeah that should work, it's a bit lite but will work. I think you could find a better deal on that size battery panel though, but that's up to you.

In the interest of expectation management, be aware that the CC is going to cut that panel down to around 85W (6.5Axbattery voltage) so it'll only be able to recharge the battery about a third in a full bright sun day if properly positioned but that should keep up with the loads you listed just fine and then some. We covered not placing the panel in front of a window already. When you get all the gear let us know and we can help with fusing and wire sizes.
              Hi thastinger . I have been searching for hours for something better and at 150 W . If you could steer me in the right direction for the Battery panel, I would appreciate it. I am ready to buy it so I can get started with the build... Thanks Ray

Comment

• thastinger
                Solar Fanatic
                • Oct 2012

I took a quick look and it appears that battery panels cost more than I thought. I'd just go with a 120 as that seems to be the best bang for the buck

Comment

• onezee20
                  • Mar 2014

I took a quick look and it appears that battery panels cost more than I thought. I'd just go with a 120 as that seems to be the best bang for the buck
                  Thanks thastinger ... I am going to call Gogreensolar in the morning. If their price is good I will order ,if not ,I will order from my original place.. Thanks again...Ray

Comment

• onezee20
                    • Mar 2014

All parts are ordered and will post a picture when I have everything...

Comment

• onezee20
                      • Mar 2014

Hey thastinger... I finally received all the stuff.. I hope I can move on by just buying stuff at local stores.. I tried to upload picture but could not...

Comment

• thastinger
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Oct 2012

cool, now you can start having some fun with the stuff.
                        I assume you'll build some sort of frame to hold the panel at the proper elevation and fuse between the panel/cc and batt/inverter

Comment

Working...