Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar irrigation options

First post for me in this forum...

I am looking for some specific options for adding an automatic watering system to a garden. The garden consists of 4 4’x8’ and 2 2’x10’ planters. I was thinking of building a cistern out of 4 55 gallon tanks off to the side of the garden. We live in an area where we rely on well water for our house, and with that we also have a chlorinator and a softener which I know is not good for the garden.

What I’m trying to solve is how and where to get the water where the water will be good for the vegetables but not require me to run a permanent water line to the garden. I was thinking of once a week pulling a hose over to fill the cistern as an option (having the water sitting for a while is supposedly good for the plants). I was considering putting in a shallow well, but we live in extremely rocky area so that will probably be cost prohibitive…

Now the questions… Can someone suggest two pumps that can be driven off solar (or solar charged batteries). The first pump will be used to draw water from a creek that is about 40 yards horizontal and 10 ft vertical from the garden. The second pump will need to take water from the cistern and feed the plants. Second question, is how do I calculate and determine both the solar cell and the bank of batteries I’ll require to power the pumps.

Originally posted by camatulli View Post
    First post for me in this forum...

I am looking for some specific options for adding an automatic watering system to a garden. The garden consists of 4 4’x8’ and 2 2’x10’ planters. I was thinking of building a cistern out of 4 55 gallon tanks off to the side of the garden. We live in an area where we rely on well water for our house, and with that we also have a chlorinator and a softener which I know is not good for the garden.

What I’m trying to solve is how and where to get the water where the water will be good for the vegetables but not require me to run a permanent water line to the garden. I was thinking of once a week pulling a hose over to fill the cistern as an option (having the water sitting for a while is supposedly good for the plants). I was considering putting in a shallow well, but we live in extremely rocky area so that will probably be cost prohibitive…

Now the questions… Can someone suggest two pumps that can be driven off solar (or solar charged batteries). The first pump will be used to draw water from a creek that is about 40 yards horizontal and 10 ft vertical from the garden. The second pump will need to take water from the cistern and feed the plants. Second question, is how do I calculate and determine both the solar cell and the bank of batteries I’ll require to power the pumps.
    Any DC voltage pump (preferred) will work off batteries. Any 120VAC pump will work with a DC-AC inverter.

What you first need to determine is how many GPM (gallons per minute) you need pumped.
    Once you've sized your pump, you then need to determine the amount of time the pump will be running per 24 hour period.
    From there, you calculate panel/battery size.
    [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Shockah View Post
      Any DC voltage pump (preferred) will work off batteries. Any 120VAC pump will work with a DC-AC inverter.

What you first need to determine is how many GPM (gallons per minute) you need pumped.
      Once you've sized your pump, you then need to determine the amount of time the pump will be running per 24 hour period.
      From there, you calculate panel/battery size.

I'm sorry, i need a tad bit more than google searches. I am trying to get opinions from people that have done this and get a specific product recommendation. I've searched the hell out of both options, but i would like an experienced persons input.

On a GPM level, simply enough in a day to keep soil moist enough for the plants to grow, so we aren't talking alot, probably 10 GPH at most for the planters during the day (or once at a designated watering time). The one to fill the barrels should at a minimum be able to keep up with that of course (plus handle the distance).

I would prefer to keep to DC as running an inverter is to dangerous in wet locations.

Comment

I would prefer to keep to DC as running an inverter is to dangerous in wet locations.
        BS. Either DC OR AC, is dangerous in wet locations. But there are ways to deal safely with it.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I have a 240VAC pump 30' deep in a pond. No problems.

1) do you have a hill or anything, that can give you a elevated place to store water for gravity feed ?

2) can you tap the well outlet, before the treatment system, and use 1/2" poly pipe (about $40 for 300') to get water to the garden storage ?

3) do you have enough creek flow to run a "RAM PUMP" ?
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
            BS. Either DC OR AC, is dangerous in wet locations. But there are ways to deal safely with it.
            I didn't say AC or DC, I said INVERTER.

AC is safer than DC when it comes to current and wet locations, it's the changing of the two that leads to electric seepage and increased risk. Besides, the cost of a waterproof inverter adds 300 to 500 to the project easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
              I have a 240VAC pump 30' deep in a pond. No problems.

1) do you have a hill or anything, that can give you a elevated place to store water for gravity feed ?

2) can you tap the well outlet, before the treatment system, and use 1/2" poly pipe (about $40 for 300') to get water to the garden storage ?

3) do you have enough creek flow to run a "RAM PUMP" ?

1) No hill to do gravity, but I can elevate the barrels high enough to gravity feed to the planters. Didn't think of that, so potentially that is an option.

2) thought of that, but I need to find a bypass switch or some other kind as we have a chlorine chemical injector which would have to not run when the tap runs. Someone told me they exist but I've never found one.

3) If I understand what you mean by a RAM PUMP, no. I don't have the ability to get under the creek as I am on the high side of the creek with a 10' base drop. I was thinking of dropping a tank into the creek and run a standard submersible pump. The creek is in a wooded area, so if I use solar i'll also have to run the power down from where the pots are, but it's not a bug deal as I can just run it with the water line.

Comment

1)

2) thought of that, but I need to find a bypass switch or some other kind as we have a chlorine chemical injector which would have to not run when the tap runs. Someone told me they exist but I've never found one.
                Chlorine requires contact time to function OK -
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

3) If I understand what you mean by a RAM PUMP, no. I don't have the ability to get under the creek as I am on the high side of the creek with a 10' base drop. I was thinking of dropping a tank into the creek and run a standard submersible pump. The creek is in a wooded area, so if I use solar i'll also have to run the power down from where the pots are, but it's not a bug deal as I can just run it with the water line.
                  A hydraulic ram (ram pump) does not require getting "under the creek" but it does require a difference in elevation from high end of the creek on your property to the low end on your property. Either natural pooling and gradient or falls or a constructed dam.
                  SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
                    A hydraulic ram (ram pump) does not require getting "under the creek" but it does require a difference in elevation from high end of the creek on your property to the low end on your property. Either natural pooling and gradient or falls or a constructed dam.
                    All of which mean "under the creek" as you need an elevation drop (as in you need to get under the creek elevation) in order to run the pump.

The creek is next to my property after a 10' drop, and unless i could get an agreement from a neighbor, i have no way to run a pipe long enough to run a ram pump.

Comment

All of which mean "under the creek" as you need an elevation drop (as in you need to get under the creek elevation) in order to run the pump.

The creek is next to my property after a 10' drop, and unless i could get an agreement from a neighbor, i have no way to run a pipe long enough to run a ram pump.

You do not need to get in under the creek elevation at any given point as long a the creek elevation changes enough!

But if all of the drop is on your neighbor's property, then you are out of luck.
                      Digging down below the elevation of the creek on your property is not going to do you any good either since you will likely have no place to discharge the water at a lower elevation.

Comment

Back to the original questions i posted...

Does anyone have a specific recommendation for a DC submersible pump? that can be run off a battery or direct from a solar cell (and the solar cell raiting recommended) that can meet my needs?

Comment

Back to the original questions i posted...

Does anyone have a specific recommendation for a DC submersible pump? that can be run off a battery or direct from a solar cell (and the solar cell raiting recommended) that can meet my needs?
                          Look at the Grundfos SQFlex line for the gold standard.
                          I do not have any specific recommendations in less expensive lines, but others may.

Here is one model on our sponsor's site, you can also search there for others.
                          Last edited by inetdog; 03-25-2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

the drip irrigation tape requires 12-18 PSI to properly function, which would mean a rain barrel over 25 ft off the ground. You're going to find your project unsustainable unless you have quite a bit of money to throw at it. My guess is, if you do have quite a bit of money to throw at it, you didn't come about it by making poor decisions.

Either tap off the well line before treatment or build some rain barrels and use that rain water via a pump like the Wayne PC2 pump to water your tiny garden.
                            1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

If it flows pretty well perhaps some 18th century technology might work in the form of a water wheel to run a pump similar to a windmill.
                              NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X