my solar shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my solar shed

please let me know what you think im at work so i cant type too much on it now

Mod note - your youtube link starts off with an advertisement. If you wish to present something that way then you pay to advertise here.
    Last edited by russ; 03-20-2014, 12:17 PM.

mod note

oh sorry i got adblocker on my chrome so i never see the youtube ads my bag sorry man. i well check and see if i can upload them to my site to play off there. i know i can upload files but idk on html part of playing a video.
    any ways back to solar today i got a square D 60amp cut off switch box used from my friend. do you all think that would be fine useing between my battery bank ( 5 119amph 12 battery's in parail ) with 2000 watt inverter. i don't think the inverter draws more than 60 amp when my shed ac kicks on

Comment

Originally posted by toy7777room View Post
      oh sorry i got adblocker on my chrome so i never see the youtube ads my bag sorry man. i well check and see if i can upload them to my site to play off there. i know i can upload files but idk on html part of playing a video.
      any ways back to solar today i got a square D 60amp cut off switch box used from my friend. do you all think that would be fine useing between my battery bank ( 5 119amph 12 battery's in parail ) with 2000 watt inverter. i don't think the inverter draws more than 60 amp when my shed ac kicks on
      Actually that 2000 watt inverter can draw 167 amps or more at 12 volts so I would say the 60 amp cut off is not enough. You have to size your wires and fuses based on the potential load not the actual. That 2000 watt inverter doesn't care or know that it is drawing more amps than the switch or wire is rated for so you have to protect the system as if it will draw the maximum amps it can handle.

Comment

I didn't see any videos or anything but you say you have 5 12V batteries in Parallel and a 2Kw inverter on a 120Ah battery bank?
        Where did you do your research when you were building the system?
        1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Originally posted by thastinger View Post
          I didn't see any videos or anything but you say you have 5 12V batteries in Parallel and a 2Kw inverter on a 120Ah battery bank?
          Where did you do your research when you were building the system?
          With the 5 batteries in parallel that would give him a 12 volt ~ 600 Ah system. The problem is the Sq D switch he wanted to use was only rated 60A which is way to small for that 2000 watt inverter.

Comment

Gotcha, my mistake. That seems like a very dangerous system, you would need cables the size of your house main feed line.
            1150W, Midnite Classic 200, Cotek PSW, 8 T-605s

Comment

Originally posted by thastinger View Post
              Gotcha, my mistake. That seems like a very dangerous system, you would need cables the size of your house main feed line.
              Yeah. When I was first designing my small off grid system I had a 2500 MSW inverter. That thing could draw over 200 amps so I invested in some flexible #1/0 copper cable which is good for about 230 amps and wired up my batteries and leads to the inverter. I then put in a fuse holder and a 150 amp fuse to protect the wires.

Then I read where that inverter would suck down my 200 Ah battery bank quickly so I substituted it for a 600 watt PSW inverter but kept the wiring the same and reduced the fuse to 50 amps.

The 600 watt inverter is still big for my battery system but at least it is safer and more practical than that 2500 watt boat anchor I first got.

Comment

Working...
              X