golf cart roof charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rcpaisley View Post
    245W panel is arriving today. Materials to fabricate the new roof will arrive this week. I'll have to choose one of the step-up charge controllers.
    Ebay LCD ammeter and voltmeter ordered.
    A little welding and wiring and viola.
    Then why are you here asking questions? Your mind was made up before you asked any questions. Kind of wasted our time.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

wasted your time?

Really?
      Your snarkiness didn't help one iota. I had to do my own research after you offered no usefull information. And might I say incorrect information.
      Why are you posting here. You are wasting the time of many.
      Psuedo experts like you are exactly the problem with internet forums.
      Get a clue dude!

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by thastinger View Post
        What is the appeal of an electric golfcart? My FIL has a gas one we use to putt around the property and it uses very, very little fuel. Why would one buy electric over gas considering the 1K battery replacement every 3 years or so?
        Most of the golf carts in Florida are electric because they are easy to maintain and do not make any noise while out on the course. The only places I have ever used a gas powered cart is on a course that has a lot of hills and that was up North. The gas carts would be able to provide enough power to tool around a hilly course better than an electric cart but in Florida there really aren't that many golf courses with hills.

It is just easier to find and purchase an electric cart here then find a gas powered one but I understand why you have them in VA.

Comment

Really?
          Your snarkiness didn't help one iota. I had to do my own research after you offered no usefull information. And might I say incorrect information.
          Why are you posting here. You are wasting the time of many.
          Psuedo experts like you are exactly the problem with internet forums.
          Get a clue dude!

Robert
          Robert - One more post like this and bye bye. This is the only warning.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hi Russ,
            Understood - both ways I'm sure.
            Robert

Comment

Here it is - solar charged golf cart

The solar charger golf cart has been running for a week now. I haven't used the charger in that long either. Batts are topped off and charger is in trickle mode.
              It got a lot of use on Sunday. That was the real test. Batts were fully recharged by mid Monday. We just kick it out the door when we open the shop and let it charge all day.

It has one 245W grid tie panel and a Genasun Boost Charge Controller. The charge controller has a DC-DC converter to bump up the available voltage for MPPT regulation to the 48V battery pack.
              I have seen 197W peak recorded. That's power out of the charge controller as measured by a Watt meter.

I would say it works better than what we were hoping for. No more plugs and chargers and extension cords really makes operation nice and simple.

Robert

Here are a couple of pics
              golfcart1.jpggolfcart2.jpg

Comment

• Mauisun
                Mauisun commented
                Editing a comment
                Any chance you could run through this? I have golf cart. I have Grid tie panel. I can mount the panel, but between the panel and the batteries I am fairly green.

I'm glad it's working for you. Generally, I'd have expected it to take several days to recharge a single day use.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

charging

Yes, if this cart was used for running 18 holes on the golf course, I don't think the solar charging would have been viable.
                But this cart is used at our shop for restroom runs mainly. Typical usage might be a couple of miles per day.
                The energy requirements of this duty seem to be well within the energy production capability of the solar panel.

Robert

Comment

A solar toy - nothing wrong with that but please clarify up front rather than give the idea it is mainline and serious.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Here we go again

Thank you Russ for your helpful addition

Comment

Thank you Russ for your helpful addition
                      No problem - always glad to be of assistance.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Expensive Boost MPPT from Genasun

I have found "Boost MPPT Controllers" that can step up the voltage internally to feed the batteries, but they are quite expensive.
                        Yup, I'm in the same boat (the expensive part). So, I built it myself. Take that Genasun (well, not as fancy as yours of course):

Mod note - get permission from user name Jason before placing a link to your site.

Rusdy
                        Last edited by russ; 05-30-2014, 12:21 AM. Reason: removed link

Comment

going strong

The solar golf cart has been in use for almost two months now.
                          It hasn't seen a charger since the panel went up. It is always fully charged and ready to go.
                          The Genasun controller works flawlessly.
                          The golf cart is used daily as transportation around the facility. Probably gets 2 to 4 miles of driving each day.
                          It was actually a pretty simple project once I figured out which parts to use,
                          Robert

Comment

going strong
                            The solar golf cart has been in use for almost two months now......
                            Awesome, thanks for the update.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                              I have built a few solar roofs for friends using a EZ-GO RXV cart that uses 48 volt battery. First thing is you are going about this all wrong with the one panel concept. As you have discovered there is no 60 Vmp panels unless you go with thin film. Think 2 or 3 panels in series.

You do not have to custom design anything as there are companies who make solar panel roof replacements for any make and model golf cart. What I will tell you everyone I have done one for or know has been very disappointed. Most of them actually use them to play golf everyday or as a NEV or both. All they really are is a range extender and a poor one at that. The carts still need recharged every night with charger after use. So don't go getting rid of you cart charger as you will still need to use it. The problem is simple physics as a golf cart efficiency is around 350 wh/mile, and at best on a full sunny day all the panel can do is give you about an extra mile out of the 15 to 20 miles the battery can deliver on a full charge.
                              I am designing a golf cart with 3 255W, 24V panels in series and an Outback FlexMax 60 MPPT controller. My Cart has a 48V battery setup. How have you mounted more than one panel on the roof in the past?

Comment

Working...
                              X