X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shockah
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Volusiano
    I hear that AGM self discharge rate is about 3% a month? So at 13 months, that's roughly 40% or so.

So there you go, you get the near 50% discharge that you're looking for already!
    Hmmm... good selling point for Sam's

Float Charge to top them off and they should put out 3 years of light duty (daily 20% discharge/recharge) RE service?
    [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

• PNjunction
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Shockah
      They're $100 cheaper than Sears (Odyssey), but have been sitting on the shelf for 12-13 months.
      Sears "Platinum" AGM are rebadged Odysseys. Unlike some other agm's, these are rated to sit around for up to 2 years, or 12.4v ocv whichever comes first. This aids shelf-life, although as always, fresher is better.

I picked up a few of these, and after about 5 cycles, they were back to rated capacity holding 13.15v ocv when charged according to Odyssey specs.

Most agm's that I've encountered really woke up after about 5 cycles, as the plate-formation process is actually finished by the consumer, rather than at the factory. Just a few cycles of normal use are what I consider a break-in period. I believe Odyssey actually specs about 15 cycles, but I couldn't tell after 5.

Comment

• Shockah
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by PNjunction
        Sears "Platinum" AGM are rebadged Odysseys. Unlike some other agm's, these are rated to sit around for up to 2 years, or 12.4v ocv whichever comes first. This aids shelf-life, although as always, fresher is better.

I picked up a few of these, and after about 5 cycles, they were back to rated capacity holding 13.15v ocv when charged according to Odyssey specs.

Most agm's that I've encountered really woke up after about 5 cycles, as the plate-formation process is actually finished by the consumer, rather than at the factory. Just a few cycles of normal use are what I consider a break-in period. I believe Odyssey actually specs about 15 cycles, but I couldn't tell after 5.
        That's what I was looking for... Thanks.

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Originally posted by Shockah
          That's what I was looking for... Thanks.
          Based on all of that, I would say that the only place that a break-in period of cycling would really be important would be in a use such as a UPS where you need the battery to be able to perform up to its full potential the very first time it is used (which may be a year or two after installation). There would not be any normal cycling to complete the plate formation enhancement unless you do it deliberately as part of the commissioning.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Shockah
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by inetdog
            Based on all of that, I would say that the only place that a break-in period of cycling would really be important would be in a use such as a UPS where you need the battery to be able to perform up to its full potential the very first time it is used (which may be a year or two after installation). There would not be any normal cycling to complete the plate formation enhancement unless you do it deliberately as part of the commissioning.
            So, in the case of a dusk-to-dawn light discharging the battery 20%,
            the "break-in" is not needed before install.... and 5-15 days of 20% cycling should bring the battery to full capacity?

Comment

Working...