• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shockah
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2013

NEW AGM "Break-In"

"Discharge 50% - Recharge Quickly"

^^^ I read that in a recent thread here, but can't find it now.

Is that recommended procedure for AGM Break-In?
    Does it help to extend cycle life?

Thanks!
    [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]
  • Volusiano
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2013

I don't know much about batteries but I recently bought an AGM battery to replace my motorcycle old/dead battery. It was not cheap, $75 from Walmart. You basically pour the liquid solution into the battery, wait for about 20-30 minutes for the liquid to gel up, then seal the whole and charge it up before using. There was no "break-in" instruction in the manual required.

So is there really a "break-in" procedure for AGM?

Comment

• Shockah
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Volusiano
      So is there really a "break-in" procedure for AGM?
      That's what I am asking...

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by Shockah
        "Discharge 50% - Recharge Quickly"

^^^ I read that in a recent thread here, but can't find it now.

Is that recommended procedure for AGM Break-In?
        Does it help to extend cycle life?

Thanks!
        The closest thing I could find that was authoritative about the commissioning process for new batteries was http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...ll=1#post67614

But that was in reference to FLA rather than AGM and also was the instructions from one battery manufacturer based on the specific process they use for manufacturing, shipping, and installation.

I do not recall seeing any similar instructions for AGM batteries. But to some extent the initial charge/discharge/recharge cycles change the mechanical condition of the active material on the electrodes and may affect initial capacity. But I have not heard of any effect on cycle life.
        If the battery arrives in a low state of charge, then charging it immediately will have an effect on both capacity and cycle life down the line. But a controlled discharge would not be a mandatory part of that process.

Let's see what Dereck (Sunking) has to offer on this topic, since I am having problems locating my digital copy of the Battery Bible.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Shockah
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by inetdog
          The closest thing I could find that was authoritative about the commissioning process for new batteries was http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...ll=1#post67614

But that was in reference to FLA rather than AGM and also was the instructions from one battery manufacturer based on the specific process they use for manufacturing, shipping, and installation.

I do not recall seeing any similar instructions for AGM batteries. But to some extent the initial charge/discharge/recharge cycles change the mechanical condition of the active material on the electrodes and may affect initial capacity. But I have not heard of any effect on cycle life.
          If the battery arrives in a low state of charge, then charging it immediately will have an effect on both capacity and cycle life down the line. But a controlled discharge would not be a mandatory part of that process.

Let's see what Dereck (Sunking) has to offer on this topic, since I am having problems locating my digital copy of the Battery Bible.
          Thanks...

My CRS ailment is acting up this weekend, but I vaguely remember it was Sunking who made the statement.
          I believe he was addressing an issue PaulCheung(sp) was having.
          Possibly on the same thread where Sunking used the comparison of CCA @ 7.2volts.
          Sorry, I only retain bits and pieces.

I just read it last night, along with a bunch of other threads over a 4 hour period...

I tried site-search today but came up dry... :/

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

I tried site-search today but came up dry... :/
            I don't rely on the builtin Forum search, but I did try various Google searches with the qualifier "site:solarpaneltalk.com" and did not find anything either other then the thread I linked to.)

Comment

• Shockah
              Solar Fanatic
              • Nov 2013

I don't rely on the builtin Forum search, but I did try various Google searches with the qualifier "site:solarpaneltalk.com" and did not find anything either other then the thread I linked to.)
              Thanks.

Hmmm,,, maybe they were being sarcastic with each other .

Well inetdog, if you're not aware of any AGM "break in" procedure, then I'd say it is safe to assume there is none.

Comment

• Shockah
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2013

BTW, it's midnight in Cali... what you doing online so late?

Comment

• inetdog
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2012

BTW, it's midnight in Cali... what you doing online so late?
                  Nightlight savings time.

Comment

• Shockah
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2013

I found it!!!

The Bits & Pieces I remembered were a bit inaccurate, but here it is...

Originally posted by Sunking
                    Yes any new battery needs a few cycles to reach full capacity.
                    Originally posted by Offgrid
                    Any recommendations on DOD when cycling a new battery?
                    Originally posted by Sunking
                    50% ought to do it. Just make sure you recharge immediately.
                    So, does this apply to AGM?

Thanks!

Comment

• inetdog
                      Super Moderator
                      • May 2012

The Bits & Pieces I remembered were a bit inaccurate, but here it is...

So, does this apply to AGM?

Thanks!
                      To some extent.
                      If you do not go below 80% SOC at any time it may take quite awhile in normal use to reach full capacity, but again it should not affect cycle life.

A lot depends on whether the manufacturer went to the expense of cycling the battery before shipping it.

Comment

• Shockah
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Nov 2013

To some extent.
                        If you do not go below 80% SOC at any time it may take quite awhile in normal use to reach full capacity, but again it should not affect cycle life.

A lot depends on whether the manufacturer went to the expense of cycling the battery before shipping it.
                        Thanks...

the batteries I have been getting off the shelf are ±12.8v.

I went to Sams Club to check these out ...

They're $100 cheaper than Sears (Odyssey), but have been sitting on the shelf for 12-13 months.

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

.....They're $100 cheaper than Sears (Odyssey), but have been sitting on the shelf for 12-13 months.
                          at 12.8V they should be OK AGM have very low self-discharge when new.
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Shockah
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Mike90250
                            at 12.8V they should be OK AGM have very low self-discharge when new.
                            The (13 month old) AGM @ Sam's Club was down to 12.6 ... safe to buy?

Sam's offers only 12 month warranty (from date of purchase).

Comment

• Volusiano
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Oct 2013

I hear that AGM self discharge rate is about 3% a month? So at 13 months, that's roughly 40% or so.

So there you go, you get the near 50% discharge that you're looking for already!

Comment

Working...