Alarm System - Off-Grid Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and BTW,

The Batteries I am using for this project are Odysseys, sold by Sears... they have a 3yr free-replacement warranty.
    [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Shockah View Post
      This Off-Grid System absolutely must not fail over the next 3 years.
      ALL Inverters worry me.
      14 years this coming June 2 living off-grid and our power has never gone out once. This is why:

You can spend thousands and thousands on RE power and the chances of keeping everything lit 24/7 for three years are slim to none without those devices shown in the photo.

Alten makes some really nice diesel DC gensets that are pretty popular with remote telecom sites etc. (along with Telgenco, Cummins, Polar and several others). And they are tailor-made for battery-based applications like this. They are completely standalone from the rest of the system and only monitor battery voltage (SOC auto-start). The Alten Duke D1 would be what I would choose for a mission critical application like yours:
      http://www.altendc.com/dc-generators...generator.html

You will find that RE power is fickle. Sun doesn't shine sometimes. Big storm comes along and takes out all your panels when you're not watching. Battery loses a cell and goes bad and goes dead as a rock overnight when the sun isn't shining. For utmost reliability design the system around a good battery bank and diesel DC generator, then add your solar to reduce how much fuel your generator burns. You're designing the system backwards because RE power is about unreliable as it gets.
      off-grid in Northern Wisconsin for 14 years

Comment

Thanks! But @ 180w per day, it's not practical to purchase/operate a generator on this "Alarm" project ...

For one, gasoline is now $4.10 per gallon and quickly rising...
        then there's the "buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" the neighboring apartment buildings will hear 24/7...

Like I said earlier, I'll strive for 100% reliability... and will cross the "failure" bridges when needed...

I'll update this thread over the next 3 years with performance / progress reports

Comment

For one, gasoline is now $4.10 per gallon and quickly rising...
          then there's the "buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" the neighboring apartment buildings will hear 24/7...
          Sorry, I thought this was a remote thing. Neighboring apartment buildings? So why don't you use utility power with a battery backup? Utility power is way cheaper and more reliable than solar panels.
          off-grid in Northern Wisconsin for 14 years

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisOlson View Post
            Sorry, I thought this was a remote thing. Neighboring apartment buildings? So why don't you use utility power with a battery backup? Utility power is way cheaper and more reliable than solar panels.
            0219041432.jpg

The lot is in a mixed commercial/residential area.

Its 3year purpose is equipment storage... no other activity.

Off-Grid DC LED Lighting installed.

The only need for 120VAC is the Alarm.

The lot owner priced POCO / Regulations, and quickly decided to go Off-Grid.
            POCO hook-up is more than double the cost of going Off-Grid... ... and the cost to have a Licensed Electrician wire in a meter/outlet.

Then the monthly service/kwh cost of POCO.
            Gas/Diesel is not the only outrageous expense here, so is HECO "G" Small Power Use Business...

Nice link to Alten Generators though, Chris... Thanks!

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3855[/ATTACH]

POCO hook-up is more than double the cost of going Off-Grid... ... and the cost to have a Licensed Electrician wire in a meter/outlet.

Gas/Diesel is not the only outrageous expense here, so is HECO "G" Small Power Use Business...

WOW - you have really painted yourself in a corner on this one. You may find it cheaper to go rent somewhere else to store your stuff. What is the replacement cost / insurance to cover those said items? May be way less expensive to get a nice insurance policy on that and you don't have to worry about batteries, panels, and all the bull **** that goes into this.

After everything learned on this site, if I didn't need internet for work purposes, I would keep my place totally off the grid with out power.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3855[/ATTACH]

Maybe adding a guard dog to the lot would help keep out any looters. Having your alarm system in layers adds some complexity but also reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by mschulz View Post
                  WOW - you have really painted yourself in a corner on this one. You may find it cheaper to go rent somewhere else to store your stuff. What is the replacement cost / insurance to cover those said items? May be way less expensive to get a nice insurance policy on that and you don't have to worry about batteries, panels, and all the bull **** that goes into this.

After everything learned on this site, if I didn't need internet for work purposes, I would keep my place totally off the grid with out power.
                  LOL... no, not painted in a corner. I am simply building an off-grid system to power up an alarm.

I will suggest to the OWNER, that maybe he should vacate his property and rent elsewhere

Have you noticed a lot of people move to Nevada from Hawaii?... ever wonder why?

Here's a hint ... $$$,$$$

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                    Maybe adding a guard dog to the lot would help keep out any looters. Having your alarm system in layers adds some complexity but also reliability.
                    Ditto on guard dogs and multi layered security.

Comment

Have you noticed a lot of people move to Nevada from Hawaii?... ever wonder why?

Here's a hint ... $$$,$$$
                      I know, I have a condo in Kona on the ocean. It is the same sqft as my cabin on 56 acers in California. The Hawaii condos monthly HOA is more than the annual taxes of my 56 acers. Truly amazing.

Comment

PV Panel

0314041354.jpg

Purchased Locally, under $300...
                        Thoughts?

Comment

It depend on how much below the 300, if is close to it, you paid too much.

Comment

Originally posted by paulcheung View Post
                            It depend on how much below the 300, if is close to it, you paid too much.
                            $255 to be exact... but here in the land of 365 day a year sunshine, we don't have many options when it comes to local solar suppliers.

I was actually looking for thoughts on the Hyundai product, not the price.

Thanks.

Comment

After the off-grid system has been completed for 3 weeks,
                              the alarm guy finally showed up yesterday to hook up.

0412041357.jpg

^^^ That is the transformer used to power the Alarm System,
                              which consists of 3 motion sensors, 5 door switches, wifi-card and siren-strobe light.
                              If triggered, the alarm sends a signal to alarm central and the property owner's smart phone.

Last night was the first night the off-grid system was fully utilized.
                              I went in at noon today to check on things,
                              and found the CC already in absorb mode,
                              which I am happy about, being it was before 12noon on a cloudy day...
                              a good indicator that the 260w panel and mppt cc will sustain the system.

off-grid alarm.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X