Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange measurements between panel and controller

Hello,

I have a solar system with 2 panels in parallel to increase current (each panel around 3.5A max) so in ideal conditions the total amount should be 7A in total.

When measuring short circuit current (connecting + and –) between the 2 panels in parallel (no controller attached) I read around 5.2 A (which is OK)
    When I connect the panels to the controller (see picture attached) and attach a digital multimeter between panel and controller I am measuring for A1 –> 2.3A and A2 is also measuring this value.
    But when I disconnect or remove my digital multimeter A1 I suddenly config.pngmeasure 5.2 A on A2 between controller and battery.

So why is my current decreasing when I want to measure A1? Shouldn’t it also measure 5.2A???

Is the controler PWM or MPPT.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

The controller is MPPT, a cheap one (15 dollars) so I wonder if it is really MPPT

Comment

Argh !!

You are crashing your controller. ???

The battery is ALWAYS the first connected and last removed. The PV is last connected, and first removed.

The controller uses battery power to boot up and then it can manage the PV input. If you are installing and removing a series amp meter, you are also removing the battery power from the controllers brains.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

No, I am using a fixed amp and volt meter between controller and battery.
          I first connected battery to controller and then controller to PV
          I just wanted to know the current coming in the controller, so I put my digital multimeter in series with the + wire that goes to the controller and I measured less than 3 amps where my fixed amp meter between controller aand battery is reading 5 amp
          I never disconnected any wires between battery and controller.
          So why am I not measuring the same amps before and after controller?

Comment

Originally posted by morse View Post
            I just wanted to know the current coming in the controller, so I put my digital multimeter in series with the + wire that goes to the controller and I measured less than 3 amps where my fixed amp meter between controller aand battery is reading 5 amp
            Because that is how a MPPT controller works.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by morse View Post
              For an MPPT controller, power in ~= power out, not counting efficiency losses which can be high for a cheap MPPT CC.
              That means that with Vin = 24V and Vout = 12V, Iin will be half as large as Iout.

If the series meter has too large a voltage drop across it (high shunt impedance) then the input voltage at the CC will not be the same as the output voltage of the panels.

Also realize that the output of the CC will not necessarily be the maximum that the panels can produce if the battery is at least partially charged and the CC is not in Bulk mode.
              The relationship between Vin/Vout and Iin/Iout through the CC will not necessarily change, but the panels will no longer be operating at their MPP. The voltage will rise from Vmp toward Voc as the current drops below Imp.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
              X