Cottage solar project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cottage solar project

Hello. I need a bit of help with setting up solar system and i will try to give you an idea when i'm try'n to do.

I have this Cottage near the lake and i'm try'n to set the light, small fridge and TV so i can enjoy my time there.

Since its a project for now, this summer i'm looking to keep it as low on price for the system as i can. So if the fridge i got is 50L (smallest i can find) and about 6x6W LED lights + standard TV. Any idea what will i need, how many solar panels and battery's to make it all work

You have to determine how much energy the fridge uses in a day and tell us the location and time of year use before anyone can help you. What I can tell you it will not be cheap.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Look at the government Energy Star site for the fridge consumption - if you are buying be sure to get the "right" one.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

says on the fridge:

Average power consumption 40 Watt

Current draw on 12V
        5C inside, 20C outside approx. 0.7 Ah/h

location: Serbia, Europe and time, i plan to use it over the summer

Comment

That will cost you around $5000 USD. Is that what you had in mind?
          MSEE, PE

Comment

just panels? i got 2x tractor batteries that are ok. I know they are not good for solar power but for this year i think they will do. I foind charge controller on ebuy thats cheep (45$) and 1200w acdc inverter (50$). So if you can tell me what is good from this and list of components i will really need

Comment

I'll guess at 2KWh daily need. So, a quick assumption means you need to harvest about 4KWh total to allow for all sorts of system losses. A guess of 5 hours of sun = about 1Kw - 800W of panels optimumly mounted and aimed.

With this large of system you will want to use a MPPT Charge Controller

For the fridge motor, you want a pure sine wave inverter, or scale up the solar another 20% because of motor losses running on mod sine. (more heat generated in motor and fridge cooling loop, more power draw from battery bank)

And a 24 v system will be more forgiving, than wiring batteries in parallel.

12V @ 200ah = 2400watt hours, 1200 watt hours consumed = 50% discharge = short battery life
              same results with 24V 100 ah - but if you go with 4, 6v golf cart batteries (6v, 200ah) that should give you several years on the batteries (wired in series for 24V).
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
              X