12 volt from 24 volt battery bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt from 24 volt battery bank

I am new to solar power and have a question. I have a battery bank consisting of 2 banks of 4 6 volt batteries in series for a 24 volt system. I was wondering if it would be safe to wire the batteries in series for a 12 volt option while keeping the 24 volt series connection? I was wanting to run some 12 volt lights and charge the batteries with a 12 volt charger I have. Thanks

Nope. Either create an independent 12V system, use a 24-12VDC down-converter, or use a Inverter to power conventional wall warts to power the 12V thingies.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Use a converter.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        Use a converter.
        There are a few units on the market which rely on the fact that there is a 12 volt tap in the series string of two 12 volt batteries to allow a potentially more efficient conversion of 24 volts to 12 volts.
        Sort of like using an autotransformer instead of an isolation transformer.
        Unfortunately the market for this kind of device is small, so the theoretical increase in efficiency may not work out for you based on the initial cost of the converter.
        Shop around before choosing a converter.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Working...
        X