Evacuated Tube Collectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evacuated Tube Collectors

Planning to install a system this summer for DHW. Looking at SRCC certs for SunMaxx, Apricus and Sunflower collectors. Any thoughts on a more efficient and cost effective E-tube collector?

Location is upstate NY (Albany) around 42 degrees Lat.

Originally posted by jrd1990zr1 View Post
    Planning to install a system this summer for DHW. Looking at SRCC certs for SunMaxx, Apricus and Sunflower collectors. Any thoughts on a more efficient and cost effective E-tube collector?

Location is upstate NY (Albany) around 42 degrees Lat.
    Yes !
    Spend the extra money on a flat plate drain back system you will be much better off in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by LucMan View Post
      Yes !
      Spend the extra money on a flat plate drain back system you will be much better off in the long run.
      I am not sure what you mean by extra money. Whose system/collector is best in your opinion?

Thanks

Comment

I am not sure what you mean by extra money. Whose system/collector is best in your opinion?

Thanks
        I think the intention was that instead of paying more per square foot of collector for evacuated tube, spend the same amount of money for more area of flat plate.

Some of the deciding factors for using evacuated tube are a need to get good production in winter when a flat plate would be severely limited by heat loss to ambient air.
        If you are not going to get useful production in the winter in the first place, the higher cost for E T is not well spent.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Thanks
          EV tube systems are prone to failures, heat pipes freezing, tubes losing vacuum. They require significantly more maintainance because of the high summer operating temps.
          I use AET flat plate drainback systems because of the reliability and low maintenance requirements.
          The winter performance advantage of evacuated tubes in Albany will not be of any advantage to you as the amount of sunshine available is low in winter.
          The total install cost for an equivalent drain back system with a high quality storage tank (use a lifetime warrantied) will be higher than an EV system, but you can expect 25 + years of system life.

Comment

There are many folks suggesting that the best SHW system is actually PV panels on net metering with a heat pump hot water heater. Basically the capital cost to install SHW is far more than the extra panels and HPHWH. SHW has the problem that it is most efficient in the summer when less hot water is needed and least efficient in winter. Evac tubes are the only option for winter time uses as flat plates at best will only raise the water temp 80 deg F over the ambient temp. So if its 20 degrees out, your "hot" water is 100 deg F. Evac tubes can go to higher temps but are less efficient and more costly.

Comment

Working...
            X