X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ecusolar View Post
    To the encapsulation:

I'm reading this post from "Tri-tips Mike" again and again :
    As to moisture, it causes corrosion, and once the fine metal layer over the top of the cell corrodes, you loose contact, and your power drops. The more moisture, the faster it degrades.
    Mike.

and come to a conclusion:

Why we don't apply a small string of silicone only on top of the soldered areas?
    seems like a good idea....are you going to try it?

Comment

jason ,
      I have already done that to the panels I have made. I check everyone to be sure there covered befor I put it outside.

Comment

Yeah, I will try it on one of the next panels but have to think about the estetical part.

I have to find a way to produce a continious, straight, thin silicone film to get these lines covered.

Originally posted by Jason View Post
        seems like a good idea....are you going to try it?

Comment

Originally posted by ecusolar View Post
          Yeah, I will try it on one of the next panels but have to think about the estetical part.
          maybe you could put a food coloring mixture with the silicone to match the color of the cells.. hah

Comment

If you put tape over each roll of cells before you seal it , would the cells get hot enough to melt the tape. I was wandering if high temp. tape would work.

Comment

I just was reading about CO2, it's acid and the compatibity to silicone is only aceptable, I add a link:

http://encyclopedia.airliquide.com/e...a.asp?GasID=26

The vacuum keeps to be my favorite solution.

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
              Just don't "pop the glass" with the pressure. And be careful, if the cells are glued to the glass, they will flex along with the glass, and eventually crack.

Comment

Most tapes aren't UV resistent

Originally posted by DeltaFox 25 View Post
                If you put tape over each roll of cells before you seal it , would the cells get hot enough to melt the tape. I was wandering if high temp. tape would work.

Comment

I have found some tape that will hold up to 500 degrees and it's made for circuit boards it's flame retardent. It's called Kapton tape. There is another tape that might be better. 5413 Polymide film tape. It made for to protect circuit boards when soldering with high temperature , won't soften with high tepmerature, Flame , chemical and radiation resistant,

Comment

Costs till now

Thanks for the info Wayne

I made a list of stuff that I bought till now for the 18 x 60W = 1080W system I'm working on.
                    There will miss some installation material but will not make too much difference.

You see that it's not a gift but it's a cost of about 1.60 US$ per Watt.

Anyhow, this needs to be updated at the end of the proyect.

Don't wonder about the price of the Morningstar 15A controller, it's the one with 48V input and has the monitor built in but it's a new item (price normal above 200$) which I got very cheap in an auction in Ebay.
                    All prices are shipped to EC.

I bought some other stuff like 5 Xantrex 1000W inverters (90$ all 5) but it wouldn't be fair to count it in this proyect.

I have found some tape that will hold up to 500 degrees and it's made for circuit boards it's flame retardent. It's called Kapton tape. There is another tape that might be better. 5413 Polymide film tape. It made for to protect circuit boards when soldering with high temperature , won't soften with high tepmerature, Flame , chemical and radiation resistant,
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thats alot cheeper then what I could get them at. The next thing I need to get is a 1000 watt inverter. I got a kill-a-watt meter also ans been running around the house getting readings to help me tell what I use in electrecty.

I think i'll buy the tape between now and next week. Tomorrow the gass company is going to hook up gas to the garage so I can have heat.

Comment

Update

The Morningstar 15A 48V controller which I bought in an auction pretty cheap in only 40$ arrived today and to my surprise that thing doesn

Comment

I bet you were surprised and happy all at once. Now you can hook up your project . The 30 Amp morningstar , Doesn't it also except 24 volts .Some of the charge controler will except 12 , 24 , 48 volts.
                          What type of batteries do you have. ? I just have marine type batteries.
                          I think you could use it in a different project that you have , Like you said you will have to have another inverter.
                          I bought an charge controler in october and it's suppose to get here between now and january 9th.

Comment

Update

Piece by piece my stuff I bought comes in and I can organize the system.

My first stage of the project was 9 panels of 60W each and I bought a 30A Morningstar controller to manage this power.

I also bought a 12V 2500W inverter which is oversized but with a good reason ==> I can widen my project easily.

Now that I

Comment

Yeah, the Morningstar 30A also works with 24V.

I have no problems with having some stuff that I don' use right now, I have plenty space to add any small solar generations and only need to complete it for the desired use.
                              I only have two 100A Deep Circle batteries right now, I will look for 6V golf cart batteries soon.

I bet you were surprised and happy all at once. Now you can hook up your project . The 30 Amp morningstar , Doesn't it also except 24 volts .Some of the charge controler will except 12 , 24 , 48 volts.
                              What type of batteries do you have. ? I just have marine type batteries.
                              I think you could use it in a different project that you have , Like you said you will have to have another inverter.
                              I bought an charge controler in october and it's suppose to get here between now and january 9th.

Comment

It will be real nice to see all of your panels and your control room. When you get a chance you will have tom take a picture. I'm putting togeather my panel and will take some pictures when I get done and post it here. That sounds real good.

Comment

Working...
                                X