This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morninstar 15M controller 48V

I bet on this Morninstar controller some days ago and wan it for just some bucks.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EOIBSA:US:1123

It's the one with monitor integrated, I think it's a steal but:

It works on 48V, 3 of my 60W panels make 60V, is that enough or should I connect 4 panels?

What means in the add positive ground?

Will I have with 3 panels (180W) the almost same outlet of 180W at 12V charge?

Comment

Gov law

I don't plan only to charge the batteries with the panels, I will use three or 4 panels for the backup batteries (sure they will be deep circle) the rest of the panels I will connect direct to my inverters (grid tied and off grid). In the not to far future if the law will be confirmed to me I will go for a 2 KW grid tie inverter with enough panels.

I was working in this days more in infos about solar here in EC and found a law from 2006 (don't upload it as it's in spanish) that says that the goverment pays for each KW generated by solar tech 0.50 US$.
      I have to visit the folks that manage these energy buys and find out what's the need to get qualified.

Actually I'm buying cells enough to built 9 more panels, in total I will have 18 x 60W for the moment.

If the law will be confirmed and I can qualify I can make enough bucks with the 18 panels to cover all my monthly energy needs and after three years about, my system will be paid by it alone.

Let's see if that works out

I thought I should at least upload this image for better understanding.

So, they pay 52 cUSD/KWh and I have to pay in my bill 12 cUSD/KWh.

At the end I have to generate much less energy than I use to cover my monthly bill.
      Attached Files

Comment

Ebay DIY solar cells and sellers review

I promised in the first page a small review of the cells I bought in Ebay, here we go:

I bought the cells for the first part of my little project from 3 different sellers with 3 different qualities but always 108 3x6 cells, enough for to make 3 panels of 60W each purchase.
        The prices here are shown with USA shipping included (dicember 2009), I had to pay about 35$ for each package additional to get them shipped to Ecuador.

rebeccayi0904:

108 cells (Everbright) 3x6 priced 159.95$ (buy it now)
        Quality: Clipped tapped
        Extras: silver solder, flux, bus wire, tabbing wire, 4 extra cells, 5% discount coupon

The double packaging was by far the best of all, in attach you see a photo.
        The cells arrived in very good condition only one got a little crack on the way.
        Only point that make some of them B quality where some sharp edges.
        Panel Voltage at sunny noon: 21V

Evergreen*world:

110 cells (Evergreen) 3x6 priced 132.80$ (auction)
        Quality: Fully tapped, split B grade
        Extras: 3 6A Schottky diodes

Double packaging in 30 units each box, came only 90, still waiting for 25 cells which are on the way after claiming the missing cells, good communication during the issue.
        The cells arrived in advertised condition most split a bit some split in the middle.
        Panel Voltage at sunny noon: 20V

Fred480v:

108 cells (Evergreen) 3x6 priced 172.71$ (buy it now)
        Quality: untapped
        Extras: solder (not silver), flux, bus wire, tabbing wire, 3 extra cells

Double packaging in two 54 cells wrapped and secured with rubber bands.
        The cells arrived in very good condition no one got cracked on the way.
        I would call these cells A-grade as there have not been any visible damage
        Panel Voltage at sunny noon: 20.5V
        I wished that this package came with 3 feet more tabbing wire and more solder which should be silver solder.

Summery:

I liked the clip tabbed dark blue shining Everbright cells from Rebecca, they are easy to clean if you have rests of flux ore finger prints on them. You also save half of the soldering work as you can solder the plus wires easily to the short pre-tabbed neg wires.
        This package from Rebecca came with so much bus wire that I could finish the panels with the split cells from Evergreen*world which don
        Attached Files

Comment

Ready for discussion

Ok Jason, I'm ready with copying the posts and the thread is open for discussion.

Thanks again for the invite, I hope I can bring in something useful to this board.

Thanks for the attention
          Joe

Comment

Thanks very much for the detailed thread of your project Joe. I'm happy to have you here.

Check your private message, I just sent you one

Comment

Thanks Jason, the proyect is still in baby shoes, like we say in Germany, for further updates I need to wait for my inverters (grid tied and off grid) to arrive and hope that I'll be ready completely in the middle to end of january 2010.

In my previous posts have been some questions, maybe, if someone has the time to read and know the answers, can post 'em.

Originally posted by Jason View Post
              Thanks very much for the detailed thread of your project Joe. I'm happy to have you here.

Check your private message, I just sent you one

Comment

Hey Joe, here are a couple threads regarding encapsulation:

http://solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?t=1118

http://solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?t=1356

So how many panels have you made total?

Comment

So far I've made 9 panels, 8 are identical and I purchased cells for 9 more panels.
                  In total I'll have 18 panels of 60W but as time goes I might want to go for more, maybe factory made ones, they are getting pretty cheap now.

I'll use only vacuum or try the argon idea from Bill, I also had once the plan to fill the space with oil.

But for the clima which we have in EC I think the vacuum is more than enough, we are closed to the raining season and time will tell.

Originally posted by Jason View Post

So how many panels have you made total?

Comment

Hello Joe,
                    I am Chris from the Netherlands. I am also building my own panels under the name "doctersnuggles" .
                    My websites are allready mentioned by Jason on solarpaneltalk.
                    But furthermore my project has been discussed on the www.olino.org website In Dutch but also in English :
                    http://www.olino.org/us/articles/200...wn-solar-panel
                    and also
                    http://www.olino.org/articles/2009/0...uw-zonnepaneel
                    There are some nice comments overthere talking about some questions that you have.......

Regards ,
                    Chris

Comment

Hi Chris

Nice to meet you here, I saw your website last week and was reading all with interest, congrats, you've done a good job.

I'll follow the links and may come back with some questions.

Originally posted by doctersnuggles View Post
                      Hello Joe,
                      I am Chris from the Netherlands. I am also building my own panels under the name "doctersnuggles" .

Regards ,
                      Chris

Comment

I thought everything was great. I hope you have all good solar cells panels.

Comment

Hi Wayne, you are my solar friend from the other forum, aren't you?

Originally posted by DeltaFox 25 View Post
                          I thought everything was great. I hope you have all good solar cells panels.

Comment

Yes your right . I like everything you say and I read it all. How's it going today? it's still alittel cold here so I'm waiting for my new way to heat the garage and thats coming wednesday . I still have a lot top get done.

Comment

Great to have you here man, I'm blocked at the moment as my panels are finished and I'm waiting for more material: cells, the inverters, controllers etc.

I do some work on a detailed PDF manual how to copy my panels but I need the new cells to make photos.

Yesterday I cut badly my finger with the bloody glass of the panels, I forgot to grind the edges on one glass, well that can happen, but I didn't need any doc to get it cured.

Actually I'm preparing the building where all will be installed, after seeing the foto "tri-tips Mike" posted of a burned down roof I decided to install them on top of my water cistern building wich is 4 meters away from my house. It has just enough place to install 18 panels and has amost no inclination which I don't need as I'm direct under the ecuator.

Originally posted by DeltaFox 25 View Post
                              Yes your right . I like everything you say and I read it all. How's it going today? it's still alittel cold here so I'm waiting for my new way to heat the garage and thats coming wednesday . I still have a lot top get done.

Comment

Argon

I'm actually reading about the idea from Bill to fill the space between the glass with argon but it is soluble in water which means that the huminity won't get out.
                                I'm still convinced that the vacuum I'm working with is the easiest way to isulate the cells in my weather conditions.
                                Using SylGuard would take the small economic advantage I have against wholesale panels away and I'm going to take the risk that the panels have a shorter life.

This is from wikipedia:

Argon has approximately the same solubility in water as oxygen gas and is 2.5 times more soluble in water than nitrogen gas.

Comment

Working...
                                X