testing solar cells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• testing solar cells

It is important to test all the solar cells before constructing a solar panel,what type of tests should be preformed,and how

Did you try searching first? If you had you would of found this.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Thank you

Yes Sunking i have searched and i like to choose the best way to do it .
      Thank you for your verry useful reply it was helpful.

Comment

This is what I built to test 6" X 6" cells, works pretty well on 3 X 6 also. Puts a heavy load
        on the cell and checks all 4 leads individually for a weak spot. This one for sale. Bruce Roe
        Attached Files

Comment

testing solar cells

Thanks bcroe for you offer but i am from Egypt and it will cost me too much to bay and ship your testing instrument,if you can send me the design and how to use i will be grateful.

Comment

testing solar cells

Is it a must to test the solar cells under direct sun light or i can use artificial light as well ?

Comment

I used a regular 100W bulb, make sure the bulb and each cell is in the same position for a meaningful current reading (make a jig up).
              Dem

Comment

Originally posted by elhifnawyplast View Post
                Is it a must to test the solar cells under direct sun light or i can use artificial light as well ?
                Direct sunlight. Solar panels are current sources, and current output is directly proportional to the amount of sunlight striking its surface. Artificial light can be used to test Voc, but useless to test current.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by FunGas
                  I used a regular 100W bulb, make sure the bulb and each cell is
                  in the same position for a meaningful current reading (make a jig up).
                  Agreed; that is part of the object of my test unit. I used a 100W spot light
                  to get most of the light heading the right direction. The dummy load was chosen
                  so that the cell would not quite reach Vmp; otherwise good and somewhat marginal
                  cells would all put out almost the same voltage (with a fixed load). Current was
                  around 75% of rating on a good cell. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                    The dummy load was chosen
                    Dummy Load on a ISC test? Huh?

You cannot and do not want to use any load resistance doing Isc test. Isc is Current Short Circuit test where the output leads of the panel are connected to each other or Shorted Out. To test it all you do is short the panel or cell out with a DVM and read the current.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Power test

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                      Dummy Load on a ISC test? Huh?

You cannot and do not want to use any load resistance doing Isc test. Isc is Current Short Circuit test where the output leads of the panel are connected to each other or Shorted Out. To test it all you do is short the panel or cell out with a DVM and read the current.
                      That is all true, if you are running your most basic Voc and Isc tests. I chose to run
                      a POWER test, which can be difficult to set up on a panel & varying sun. But not so
                      difficult here with one cell and controlled (if somewhat reduced) light.

My cells had 2 leads on EACH face, any one of which could have problems if there is a
                      crack. In addition there is the issue of overall total cell performance. I connected one
                      end of a a 0.05 ohm 5 watt resistor to each of 4 leads. The other end of all 4 resistors
                      were all shorted together with a heavy (dual 12 gauge) wire. This presents a 0.05 ohm
                      load overall to the cell. So if it put out 10 amps, the voltage would reach 0.5V. The 8A
                      cell will never put out that much, so I would see voltages around 0.4 volts. This would
                      vary so I could weed out poor performers.

IN ADDITION, I have a 5 position switch which connects the voltmeter to the whole cell
                      (averaged through some 100 ohm resistors), or to ONE of the 4 resistors at a time. The
                      voltmeter wires were connected by a dedicated pair directly to one of the resistors at a
                      time, to avoid any loop shifts (Kelvin connection). IF ONE of the cell output lead's current
                      was reduced significantly from the other 3, it could indicate a flaw in the cell current
                      paths there. It was necessary to switch thru the 5 positions pretty quickly, before the
                      lamp heated the cell and numbers started drifting. Bruce Roe

Comment

Bruce DIY cannot measure Imp, that can only be done in a Lab. Best one can do is find out which cells are stronger by shorting out the cell. Adding a resistor just reduces the current to some unknown value and does not gain you anything.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
                          Bruce DIY cannot measure Imp, that can only be done in a Lab. Best one can do is find out which cells are stronger by shorting out the cell. Adding a resistor just reduces the current to some unknown value and does not gain you anything.
                          Right, it doesn't produce lab standard results. INSTEAD, it locates a fault feeding one of
                          the leads, and allows matching a bunch of cells, or determining the best ones, to make
                          up a DIY panel. It does so under conditions much closer to actual operation, than the
                          Voc or Isc points. That IS where we are ultimately going. A useful DIY function, not
                          suitable for commercial use as defined. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                            Right, it doesn't produce lab standard results. INSTEAD, it locates a fault feeding one of
                            the leads, and allows matching a bunch of cells, or determining the best ones, to make
                            up a DIY panel. It does so under conditions much closer to actual operation, than the
                            Voc or Isc points. That IS where we are ultimately going. A useful DIY function, not
                            suitable for commercial use as defined. Bruce Roe
                            Yeah Bruce I understand, but you do not need a resistor load to do that.
                            MSEE, PE

Comment

design or photos

Bruce can you please attach the design or photos of your jig i will be very grateful

Comment

Working...
                              X