Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian W
    • Jan 2014

Cut down a household PV

I can't find any other discussions about this so thought I'd ask. Is it possible to take a typical 175w 34v household panel and cut it in two ? I have a few of these and it would work so much better for me and my projects if I could cut them in half, and halve their voltage at the same time. I'm sure there'll be some soldering and repairing continuity between cells, but I'd love to give this a go. The final result doesn't have to be pretty, functionality is the goal here for me.

Then repack the panels into a lighter aluminium frame, try to reuse the glass but being tempered glass maybe that can't be cut, I'm not sure.
  • integlikewhoa
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Ian W
    I can't find any other discussions about this so thought I'd ask. Is it possible to take a typical 175w 34v household panel and cut it in two ? I have a few of these and it would work so much better for me and my projects if I could cut them in half, and halve their voltage at the same time. I'm sure there'll be some soldering and repairing continuity between cells, but I'd love to give this a go. The final result doesn't have to be pretty, functionality is the goal here for me.

Then repack the panels into a lighter aluminium frame, try to reuse the glass but being tempered glass maybe that can't be cut, I'm not sure.
    Can't help much on the panel, but I know for sure tempered glass can not be cut. Without the glass and having to reframe it, I'm thinking unless you have a extra panels already it can't be worth it to cut them vs. buying a DIY build kit!

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Is it possible to take a typical 175w 34v household panel and cut it in two ?
      Then you would have two pieces of junk - not really good for anything.

Forget the DIY suggestion also - cheaper to buy and the quality is better with a guarantee.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Ian W
        • Jan 2014

Thanks guys. The frame around them is pretty heavy, and the size is just awkward for what I want to do. I'll keep my eye out for some smaller panels, thanks !!

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Thanks guys. The frame around them is pretty heavy, and the size is just awkward for what I want to do. I'll keep my eye out for some smaller panels, thanks !!
          A good approach for your needs. Just keep in mind that the cost per watt will be higher for the smaller panels.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Ian W
            • Jan 2014

Thanks. I guess the thing is I already have 6x 185w panels just sitting here, rather than go buy new panels I'd love to find a way to make these useful to me. What happens if you try to cut them, will the substrate they are mounted on shatter

I don't want to cut each individual cell, rather cut the entire panel of cells in half. There's only 1mm or so in between cells, and desoldering the cut joints would be easy wouldn't it ??

Comment

• inetdog
              Super Moderator
              • May 2012

Thanks. I guess the thing is I already have 6x 185w panels just sitting here, rather than go buy new panels I'd love to find a way to make these useful to me. What happens if you try to cut them, will the substrate they are mounted on shatter

I don't want to cut each individual cell, rather cut the entire panel of cells in half. There's only 1mm or so in between cells, and desoldering the cut joints would be easy wouldn't it ??
              As mentioned earlier, there are two major problem areas:

1. Cutting apart the panels without breaking anything. The glass and the substrate are fragile, and more to the point they may be bonded so tightly to the cells that it is not possible to separate or cut them without cracking cells.
              2. The PV cells are very sensitive to moisture and corrosive elements in the air. Even if you are able to cut the panels without damage, you will not be able to evacuate the moisture and seal the halves up again. As a result they will die within a year or two at best.

Since you have them, either find some other use for them, sell them, or donate them for educational purposes somewhere and take the tax credit.

Comment

• Naptown
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2011

You cannot cut tempered glass it will shatter
                NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• inetdog
                  Super Moderator
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by Naptown
                  You cannot cut tempered glass it will shatter
                  And you may not be able to successfully remove it and replace with new glass either.

BTW, the secret to cutting tempered glass is to hit it REALLY hard and fast with a sharp chisel. (not...)

Comment

• Ian W
                    • Jan 2014

Cheers, I didn't realise the glass would not just lift off easily, I figured it was just a piece of glass jut resting on top, and the whole assembly would just separate easily.

We're toying with buying a DC pool pump so I guess these panels can become the power source for that.

Thanks !

Comment

• inetdog
                      Super Moderator
                      • May 2012

We're toying with buying a DC pool pump so I guess these panels can become the power source for that.

Thanks !
                      Sounds like a winner. At least worth running the numbers. Make sure you come up with a system that does NOT use batteries or you will still end up paying more than getting the same power from POCO.
                      Will you be using solar thermal heating for the pool too?

Comment

Working...